OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:20:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the general position of the Orthodox Church on ecumenism?  (Read 899 times) Average Rating: 0
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« on: May 11, 2011, 04:34:11 PM »

I was thinking about this lately...
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:38:43 PM »

Depends on your definition of ecumenism, and if you refer to the heresy or to relations with other groups.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »

There is more than one attitude as to what qualifies as ecumenism and more than one attitude concerning ecumenism within Orthodoxy.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »

Even the most ecumenical minded EOs still think that the Eastern Orthodox Church is the true Church though. What comes after that is a matter of discission but this is the basis of which all agree. That doesn't of course mean that all non-EOs are going to hell or that there couldn't be some kind of invisible link between EOs and, say, OOs but that doesn't change our basic ecclesiological stance.

I believe that OOs think the same about their Church.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:23:33 PM by Alpo » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

Even the most ecumenical minded EOs still think that the Eastern Orthodox Church is the true Church though.

That's not true. I've met plenty of EO's who extend the Church beyond the boundaries of the mainstream Eastern Orthodox communion.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »

Even the most ecumenical minded EOs still think that the Eastern Orthodox Church is the true Church though.

That's not true. I've met plenty of EO's who extend the Church beyond the boundaries of the mainstream Eastern Orthodox communion.

Depends on what you mean by that. The heavenly church extends beyond the boundaries of the mainstream EO communion. So in essence, the Church does. But on earth, it is material and has a limit.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »

Depends on what you mean by that. The heavenly church extends beyond the boundaries of the mainstream EO communion. So in essence, the Church does. But on earth, it is material and has a limit.

No, that's not what I mean. For instance, plenty of EO just say, point blank, that the EO and OO are conjointly the Church.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »

Well it depends how we understand the limits of Eastern Orthodox Church. For example mainstream EOs agree that both ROCOR and MP were part of the Church even though they were not in communion and had differing opinions on some points.

In the same way I'd like to believe that somehow and some way OOs are part of the Eastern Orthodox Church despite the way too long separation. Same goes for Old Calendarists. So I don't think the limits of the Church are black and white. Of cource this kind of irenic attitude has it's limits since we don't believe in ecclesiological relativism or in Anglican Branch theory. I don't believe that Catholics or Anglicans are part of the Church since our Faith differs so much from their's.

I know that this sound a bit illogical. But the history of the Church doesn't seem to fit in our neat theological boxes.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:55:57 PM by Alpo » Logged
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »

Don't.  It will just mess you up.  Thought begets heresy.  Heresy begets retribution.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »

No, that's not what I mean. For instance, plenty of EO just say, point blank, that the EO and OO are conjointly the Church.

That isn't the same as suggesting that the EO and RCC are, or the EO and any other group... You know that. Even when some OO monks refer to the "Orthodox Church" they often include EO Churches in that. You and I both know the situation between EO & OO and the EO/OO & other churches isn't the same.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:10:10 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »

That isn't the same as suggesting that the EO and RCC are, or the EO and any other group... You know that. Even when some OO monks refer to the "Orthodox Church" they often include EO Churches in that. You and I both know the situation between EO & OO and the EO/OO & other churches isn't the same.

Devin has a post up for post of the year on this subject in the post of the year 2010 competition on the Board News forum which is worth reading.  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28122.msg443182.html#msg443182
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:15 AM »

Don't.  It will just mess you up.  Thought begets heresy.  Heresy begets retribution.
What he said.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »

Thought begets heresy.  

I have verified this personally.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »

Me too

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: