OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 08:47:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guru  (Read 985 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: May 14, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »

Salam!
Should we Christians have a Guru like hindus (I mean a Christian Guru of course)?
Should we also read book and discuss with other people or is our Guru suffient? If Guru is enough then why go to other people?

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:36:28 PM »

I don't know what exactly a Hindu guru does, so I don't know how close it would be to a Christian concept, such as the spiritual father (and even the concept of a spiritual father can vary greatly, e.g. it can be nothing more than someone to get advice from, or it could be someone that a monk confesses everything they've thought about to, and everything in between).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:36:39 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »

I don't know what exactly a Hindu guru does, so I don't know how close it would be to a Christian concept, such as the spiritual father (and even the concept of a spiritual father can vary greatly, e.g. it can be nothing more than someone to get advice from, or it could be someone that a monk confesses everything they've thought about to, and everything in between).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bEDHXCXqWg&feature=channel_video_title

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »

Thank you, though I'm still not sure I understand. He switches from talking about gurus to talking about Jesus, but is he then saying that we should submit to a guru (person) as we would a guru? Or that we should follow a guru as part of submission to Christ? Or have I misunderstood totally?

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »

Often times Gurus are worshiped as gods and followed unquestioningly.

So no.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »

We have Bishops and priests, why do we need a guru?  The Guru's job is to give spiritual counselling, and to point the chela (disciple's) way to God.  We have the way to God, his name is Jesus, and the method by which we are saved through the blood of the Lamb can only be found by following the teachings of the Church.  It is good to have a teacher, but that is what the church clergy are for.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:40:54 PM by AveChriste11 » Logged

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

This may not be all that relevant to the original question, but in a related topic...The Eastern Catholic Rite , Syro-Malabar of India has an icon of 'Christ the Guru'. Sanskrit term guru is a combination of gu, "darkness," and ru, "that which dispels".

It is not the most common icon among the Syro-Malabar by any means, but it is common.

This icon was written by Fr. Joy Elamkunnapuzha (a Syro-Malabar Catholic priest from the Carmelite order CMI) in 1977. There is a mosaic of this on the facade of the Chapel at Dharmaram College in Bangalore, India. Dharmaram College is a seminary of the CMI order with in the Syro-Malabar Eastern Rite.

In this icon Christ is seated in padmaasana, the lotus posture. The hand gestures show jnaanamudra, the sign of imparting knowledge and wisdom that dispel darkness.

The above is not a photograph of the original icon written by Fr. Joy in 1977 but rather is a photograph of an oil painting made by Mr.Manoj in 1993 based on the original icon written by Fr.Joy.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:05:41 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »

sorry.. posted a second time.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:04:51 PM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »

This icon was written by Fr. Joy Elamkunnapuzha
written? Huh Huh Huh

copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »

Yes, written. In the Orthodox Church (Oriental Orthodox also), we say an icon is written because it is not simply supposed to be a pretty painting people look at. It tells us a story about either a saint's life, or biblical event etc.

Copticyouth93
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

We should have a spiritual father who guides us. OK I get that. How should we deal with listening to other spiritual people? they may say something else than the spiritual father and wouldn't that just confuse us?

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »

We should have a spiritual father who guides us. OK I get that. How should we deal with listening to other spiritual people? they may say something else than the spiritual father and wouldn't that just confuse us?
Swami Sivananda (whose ashram Mother Gravilia, the "ascetic of Love", visited for a while in India) expressed a basic element of spiritual practice: "Listen to all, but follow one. Respect all, but adore one. Gather knowledge from all, but adopt the teachings of one Master. Then you will have rapid spiritual progress."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:52:56 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: