OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:24:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Confession  (Read 1016 times) Average Rating: 0
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« on: May 14, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »

Darnit, for the life of me, I just cannot get the search function on this thing to yield me any useful results, ever. I'm sure this question has been addressed many times over.

Often, especially here in Russia, General Confession is offered, rather than individual. I've gotten different impressions about what's what with it: A) That it is essentially a spiritual exercise, for those who confess often enough that they are not in need of individual confession, or for those intending to confess individually soon, or B) That it is exactly the same as individual confession, just done in a different manner. I also heard that St. John of Kronstadt originated it; is this so?

What's the scoop?

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »

IDK but it used to be common in my Diocese until it was banned a few years ago.

At my Parish on Pascha all people who confessed during the Lent can receive an absolution without confessing so that they can receive Eucharist. Maybe it's similar?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
authio
Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »

St Ignati Brianchaninov also formed a type of 'general confession' before St John of Krontstadt.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »

I have heard that it is used where their are great numbers of faithful, and the priest has no chance of hearing so many individual confessions.

However, if someone was weighed down by a major sin (yes, I know all sin is sin...however....) then they needed to seek a private confession.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:41:17 PM »

I actually like the idea and belive it should be practiced more often.  Probably the Lutheran in me coming through once again.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Noesisaa

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »

In Romania the prayer is read, generally, as (part of) preparation for individual confession, a sort of examination of conscience. It is not seen as "general confession", and is not sufficient for H. Communion. Also, the concept of general confession is unheard of in Romania.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:05:21 PM »

What exactly is General Confession?  I've been Orthodox for 15 years now and never seen it or observed it being practiced. All my parish offers is private confession. I'm in the OCA: Diocese of the South and I don't think it is used much here.

When I was Lutheran we had General Confession and General Absolution. Is it anything like that?
Magdalene

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:29 PM »

Darnit, for the life of me, I just cannot get the search function on this thing to yield me any useful results, ever. I'm sure this question has been addressed many times over.

Often, especially here in Russia, General Confession is offered, rather than individual. I've gotten different impressions about what's what with it: A) That it is essentially a spiritual exercise, for those who confess often enough that they are not in need of individual confession, or for those intending to confess individually soon, or B) That it is exactly the same as individual confession, just done in a different manner. I also heard that St. John of Kronstadt originated it; is this so?

What's the scoop?

Yes, this was in fact originated by St. John of Kronstadt. However, it should only be used in times where there is not enough time to do the individual confessions, as was intended by the Orthodox Church.

As to elaborate on why St. John of Kronstadt used it is because he sometimes served Liturgy's that were so full of parishioners and those of the faith that he simply did have not time to confess each individual. If anyone has gone to a large Orthodox church and seen the lines for Confession, one may understand why he used this. However, he was a Saint and he only did this when there was no other alternative. Also, it was often remarked that those who went to Liturgy where he was serving and took part of the general confession saw the multitude weeping for their sins, some even falling down prostrate. This degree of repentance is simply not seen when one goes to services where this is done. I think that this was a form of miracle and to try and reproduce it is simply folly.

In short, in most cases it isn't warranted or needful such as in the case of St. John of Kronstadt and it can have the negative effect of people not going to "private" confession but only do the public one in which they do not get personal advice for their particular demons.

Again, this is what I have been told and if I am incorrect please correct this sinner so that none may be lead astray.

"Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs." Proverbs 10:12

"Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs." Proverbs 10:12
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: