OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 03:01:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my friend needs your prayers again!  (Read 484 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 14, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »

a while ago, I posted on here for prayers for a friend who told me she was hurting herself after her brother had committed suicide.  she REALLY needs your prayers again, if you'd be so kind. in case you don't remember, she and I have the same godfather.  It is my opinion that she is seriously emotionally unstable.  she is an Orthodox Christian, and I try to get her to go to Church as often as she can (but that's a bit hard, as she now lives several states away).

she told me, over facebook, that last week her friend committed suicide. she was on the phone with him while he died.  she says he swallowed rat poison and cut an artery in his left arm so he'd go faster.  she stayed on the phone until he didn't respond anymore. 

she is posting some pretty scary stuff on facebook.  it's starting to affect me.  others at Church have told me that they just can't read them, because it makes them depressed.  she writes how cold and alone death is....God help her!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Holy Unmercenary healers, pray to God for her.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:21:58 AM »

Lord, have Mercy.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »

Lord have mercy - Oh Holy Spirit, true comforter and giver of life, have mercy on this little one!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »

Trevor, I know this sounds strange and maybe dismissive but, in some social circles, it is very normal to post on facebook or myspace about the wish to die and to spend a lot of time thinking and talking about death. It is almost a sub-culture and it tends to attract certain young people.

Do you know the kind of world/people I am talking about? Is your friend involving herself with spiritually unhealthy things which might be exacerbating her grief at the loss of her brother and any other problems she might be experiencing?

I just wonder because I have met some people in my life (mostly teenagers) who are preoccupied with the idea of death and are not shy of broadcasting that preoccupation to the world. I think it is very dangerous when this preoccupation with death is normalised and celebrated, as it is in some places.

In any case, I've said a prayer for her just now. Keep praying!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:51:36 PM »

Trevor, I know this sounds strange and maybe dismissive but, in some social circles, it is very normal to post on facebook or myspace about the wish to die and to spend a lot of time thinking and talking about death. It is almost a sub-culture and it tends to attract certain young people.

Do you know the kind of world/people I am talking about? Is your friend involving herself with spiritually unhealthy things which might be exacerbating her grief at the loss of her brother and any other problems she might be experiencing?

I just wonder because I have met some people in my life (mostly teenagers) who are preoccupied with the idea of death and are not shy of broadcasting that preoccupation to the world. I think it is very dangerous when this preoccupation with death is normalised and celebrated, as it is in some places.

In any case, I've said a prayer for her just now. Keep praying!

I know just what you mean. Yes, she fits the description of that group to a "t".  As far as I know, she is very into "Wicca". I guess she pretends to talk to fairies while she burns incense, or something like that.  as a result of this, she tells me, she doesn't like going to Church.

I will keep praying, and I appreciate your prayers!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:24:39 AM »

I know just what you mean. Yes, she fits the description of that group to a "t".  As far as I know, she is very into "Wicca". I guess she pretends to talk to fairies while she burns incense, or something like that.  as a result of this, she tells me, she doesn't like going to Church.

Urrrgghh, I was expecting something like that would be the case (I will save my strong language for another thread, perhaps!).

I've just said another prayer for your friend.

Keep looking after her!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:59:10 AM »

Yes, Trevor, pray for her but don't communicate with her. It is very easy to get spiritually drained by such behavior. She may very well be demonically possessed, so her words and actions may be those of a demon. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but it is a very real possibility. The only help for her is to seek Christ and His Church. As long as she reject these spiritual Truths and Sacraments, then there is nothing you can say or do to help her. Simply tell her you will pray for her, and if she is ever interested in learning about Orthodoxy that you will be glad to try and help her learn (but make sure she undestands that you are not interested in debating her.)

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: