OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 04:35:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC Saints who preached in Ukraine  (Read 225 times) Average Rating: 0
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« on: May 11, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »

In 11 hours time I will be in Kraków. I should be going to sleep but I cannot fall asleep. I feel an urge for something, which I cannot name. I will remember you all at the grave of St.Jacek (Hyacinthus). Did you know that the of the first followers of St.Dominic, only St.Jacek was canonised? Why do I mention St.Hyacinth here? Because after the death of St.Dominic, he set up monasteries all over Slavic lands, even establishing himself in Kyiv. His missionary efforts amongst the Kyivans were thwarted by the Tatar invasions; he is depicted in iconography as carrying the Blessed Sacrament, a rosary and a statue of the Most Blessed Virgin before profanation by the Tatars to Kraków. Known also as St.Jacento, St.Iacinto, Yacinth.

This post was moved here from the Random Postings thread (in Other Issues) because:

1. It brings up a sore subject amongst the Orthodox (RCs missionaries to Orthodox lands) which makes it a potential fire-starter post, and
2. It isn't light-hearted enough, in the context of (1) to stay in Other Issues.

Don't do this again.  If you want to bring up subjects like RC saints who were missionaries to Orthodox countries, bring it up either here in the Orthodox-Catholic forum, or in the Private Orthodox-Other Christian Forum.

- Fr. George, Global Mod
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:33:36 PM by Fr. George » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: