OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 04:18:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouch...  (Read 907 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:57 AM »

Study: 90% of Pittsburgh's young adults unfit for military service

Pittsburgh's young adults are so physically unfit and uneducated that up to 90 percent of them can't get into the military, according to a scathing report to be released today by a consortium of 200 top retired military officers and several nonprofits.

The "Unable to Serve" study found that about 25,000 of the city's young men and women between the ages of 18 and 24 are dogged by obesity, asthma and other health issues, poor academic performance, criminal records, drug addiction and eyesight so poor that they couldn't enter the military even if they wanted to do so...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »

I wonder how other cities compare, hopefully much better. It really says something baout our society.  Sad

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »

...it's probably a trend.

Our kids are eating refined foods, with all kinds of calories.

They sit in school, they sit in the bus, they sit and do homework (hopefully), they sit in front of the TV, and they sit while playing on the computer or PlayStation, etc.

They don't even have to go outside to talk the the neighbor's kids, because they sit and text them on their phones.

I don't think this is a strictly Pittsburgh phenomena...I think it's the wave of the future, unless something gets done...and quickly.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:00:37 PM »

^  I think you're on to something, LIza.  Related to this, I've previously had a look at a book called Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder which, among other things, notes that kids nowadays stay inside too much and play on computers and ipods etc. instead of getting outside and playing.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 01:30:12 PM »

...it's probably a trend.

Our kids are eating refined foods, with all kinds of calories.

They sit in school, they sit in the bus, they sit and do homework (hopefully), they sit in front of the TV, and they sit while playing on the computer or PlayStation, etc.

They don't even have to go outside to talk the the neighbor's kids, because they sit and text them on their phones.

I don't think this is a strictly Pittsburgh phenomena...I think it's the wave of the future, unless something gets done...and quickly.

So true.

I was tutoring high school juniors and seniors in a program designed to help them pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) Several students had their cell phones (which were allowed surprisingly), so they were continually texting each other during our tutorial sessions. One student continually asked to be excused to go to the restroom saying that he was having stomach problems. Finally, his girlfriend came in to tell me that he was not sick, but was in the restroom texting all his friends including her. She wanted him to graduate from high school.

Mobile devices are causing our children to become unhealthy addicts with the typical addictive behaviors of lying, denial, and lack of attention to personal health. This child was very skinny and sick looking. He did not eat much nor exercise outdoors.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:34:44 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »

Pretty soon the military will not to have a pre-boot camp boot camp for every branch (you could just throw 'em all together really), where the people who don't meet educational requirements can be taught the needed info to get a GED (and then in their tour of duty get 15 college credits so they can re-enlist), and train the overweight people so that they can go to boot camp and not pass out every five minutes.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »

Follow up story...

Pittsburgh's 90% unfit-to-serve rate can be reduced, generals say

Reducing the high number of Pittsburgh's young adults who fail to meet basic qualifications for entering the military must be addressed early in life, several retired Army generals and other personnel said on Friday...

The report concludes that the most bang for the buck comes when resources are directed toward young children...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

Pretty soon the military will not to have a pre-boot camp boot camp for every branch (you could just throw 'em all together really), where the people who don't meet educational requirements can be taught the needed info to get a GED (and then in their tour of duty get 15 college credits so they can re-enlist), and train the overweight people so that they can go to boot camp and not pass out every five minutes.

Some branches have (I know at least one does) a program for their recruits that don't initially pass the physical standards (can't do enough pull ups or crunches or run fast enough) where they give them the proper physical training in order to meet the standards before having them begin the actual training cycle. As for individuals who don't meet height/ weight standards, as long as they are physically capable of doing the training, they just feed them less, exercise them more, and tag their shirts so they are easily identifiable.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »

Oh no. They can't go off to the military? What a shame.  Roll Eyes

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »

Oh no. They can't go off to the military? What a shame.  Roll Eyes

Very surprising response from you!  Tongue  I generally have respect for people in the military (and a few of my friends went that direction), but I must admit that the recruiter that tried to get me to join after our class took the asvab test seemed rather schisty. I wonder what that recruiter would be like now, 15 years later and with things even worse...  police
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:27:25 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Melodist
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »

It is when we actually need them. Let's not forget that God has glorified a number of His saints who have served in their militaries and St John the Baptist never condemned military service, but gave instructions on how to faithfully serve God while in the military.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:13:03 PM »

It is when we actually need them.

There has never been a time in the past 250 years when the American military has been needed (at least not in cases in which it has actually acted).

Let's not forget that God has glorified a number of His saints who have served in their militaries and St John the Baptist never condemned military service, but gave instructions on how to faithfully serve God while in the military.

What is this about John the Baptist?

Nor am I condemning military service in general, nor was that implied by my post. What was really implied by my post was American military service, and that is precisely what I was intending.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:13:30 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:19:10 PM »

I must admit that the recruiter that tried to get me to join after our class took the asvab test seemed rather schisty.

That's all of them.

My recruiter told me I was going to go to a place called 29 Palms, when I asked where that was he said "southern California out by Palm Springs", which is not exactly a lie, but somewhat misleading...

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »

watch it, deusveritasest.  many of my family and I'm sure of the families of other OC.net members served in American and foreign militaries.  without them, we wouldn't have the freedoms we do today.  even today many people die over seas protecting those rights and freedoms.  police

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »

There has never been a time in the past 250 years when the American military has been needed (at least not in cases in which it has actually acted).

American revolution, Franco-American War, War of 1812, Mexican-American war, the marines that provided security for the Pony Express, WWII, the rescue of medical students on Grenada, and the fact that providing no defense at all is the same as asking to be attacked and oppressed by foreign powers. You could argue about the other wars and conflicts in which we were engaged, but these were all undeniably for the good of our country.

Luke 3:14
And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

The word "do violence" refers to needlessly harassing and intimidating people, not any actions that might necesssarily be required in the line of service.

Nor am I condemning military service in general, nor was that implied by my post. What was really implied by my post was American military service, and that is precisely what I was intending.

One's agreement or disagreement with the motives of our politicians doesn't change the need for our nation to provide for it's defense.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »

American revolution, Franco-American War, War of 1812, Mexican-American war, the marines that provided security for the Pony Express, WWII, the rescue of medical students on Grenada, and the fact that providing no defense at all is the same as asking to be attacked and oppressed by foreign powers. You could argue about the other wars and conflicts in which we were engaged, but these were all undeniably for the good of our country.

Luke 3:14
And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

The word "do violence" refers to needlessly harassing and intimidating people, not any actions that might necesssarily be required in the line of service.

One's agreement or disagreement with the motives of our politicians doesn't change the need for our nation to provide for it's defense.

interesting points, Melodist!  not to be impersonating a Mod or anything, but before getting a little message in green letters, why not move this discussion to the private politics forum?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

why not move this discussion to the private politics forum?

If the discussion gets so out of hand that it can't be had in public, then I'm probably better off not following it into the private forum. Either way, I've made my point. I'm not interested in arguing over american politics, simply stating that if there was something wrong with military service in any country, we wouldn't have saints who served under anti-Christian governments like the Roman Empire.

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 09:43:23 PM »

why not move this discussion to the private politics forum?

If the discussion gets so out of hand that it can't be had in public, then I'm probably better off not following it into the private forum. Either way, I've made my point. I'm not interested in arguing over american politics, simply stating that if there was something wrong with military service in any country, we wouldn't have saints who served under anti-Christian governments like the Roman Empire.

I totally agree.  Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »

While the statistic is cause for concern, even if we could only recruit from 10 percent of the population, that may equal a pretty good number anyway. (300 million people divided by 10=30 million.) The U.S. has an all-volunteer military at the present. Still, improved nutrition and fitness classes at school may be a worthwhile investment.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »

It's alright.  There are plenty of immigrants who are willing to join the army.  There are thousands of Germans crossing the Rhine every year who are more than capable of joining the Legion!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: