OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 02:15:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The College Conspiracy  (Read 549 times) Average Rating: 0
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« on: May 15, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

The National Inflation Association recently released an excellent documentary on the crisis in college education. Students are taking out enormous loans with the belief that the benefits of possessing a degree outweigh the costs and burden of debt. I would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone willing to watch this documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE&feature=player_embedded

Note : I did not put this in the political forum because I believe it is a purely financial discussion. I would really hope to exclude politics so as to keep this thread in the public fora.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »

Colleges are basically a big scame these days.  You spend God only knows how much money to educate either yourself or your children and you end up learning nothing but left wing gypperish (Let alone the immoral atmopshere that you are exposed to on a regular basis in most college dorms).

The biggest mistake in my life was going to a four year college.  All that money for a degree which, at poresent leaves me unemployed.  I should have listened to my grandmother and gone to a vocational school instead and picked up a trade.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »

The National Inflation Association recently released an excellent documentary on the crisis in college education. Students are taking out enormous loans with the belief that the benefits of possessing a degree outweigh the costs and burden of debt. I would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone willing to watch this documentary.

Note : I did not put this in the political forum because I believe it is a purely financial discussion. I would really hope to exclude politics so as to keep this thread in the public fora.

I watched it today...it seems to be making the rounds. Although I live in Canada and my situation is not quite as bad as American students; as a recent graduate I strongly agree with the message. At the same time, I feel that the film missed it's mark on some of the things it said. University, in my estimation, should not be a job-making factory. This documentary only took issue with the fact that university graduates were being misled, the standards were being lowered, costs were increasing as a result of gov't interference etc. All points that need to be made and should be discussed. What was not addressed is the actual point of university--it is assumed that a person is in university to get a job (this was mentioned in the documentary intro). After recently completing my undergrad degree, I am left cold. Society wants me to essentially buy into the money-making, "wage slave," buy a house in the suburbs, etc ideal. Heck, these people sound like they want me to do that. The only difference is how they want me to do it.

400 years ago, in medieval Europe, the degree I hold would place me amongst the elite of the elite. Nowadays, it is next to useless because it can not be directly translated into a money-making career.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »

Interesting. I think that far too many students go to college now days. Unless you are going into a field that requires a four year degree, or are planing on being an academic (professor), what is the point? It's way too expensive to go to college "just because that's what my family does". In many fields, skills are better learned through experience. Besides, most of what is taught in Universities is tantamount to indoctrination or simple waste.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »

I watched it today...it seems to be making the rounds. Although I live in Canada and my situation is not quite as bad as American students; as a recent graduate I strongly agree with the message. At the same time, I feel that the film missed it's mark on some of the things it said. University, in my estimation, should not be a job-making factory. This documentary only took issue with the fact that university graduates were being misled, the standards were being lowered, costs were increasing as a result of gov't interference etc. All points that need to be made and should be discussed. What was not addressed is the actual point of university--it is assumed that a person is in university to get a job (this was mentioned in the documentary intro). After recently completing my undergrad degree, I am left cold. Society wants me to essentially buy into the money-making, "wage slave," buy a house in the suburbs, etc ideal. Heck, these people sound like they want me to do that. The only difference is how they want me to do it.

400 years ago, in medieval Europe, the degree I hold would place me amongst the elite of the elite. Nowadays, it is next to useless because it can not be directly translated into a money-making career.
I unfortunately agree with you. Society is so materialistic that it sees education as only a means to an end. The belief that knowledge is only useful when it can manifest material wealth is a problem. That said, the only reason I would return to college is if I needed certification for a particular job. With the technology of our modern age and our vast resources, I can readily learn anything I choose without attending a university.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:43:01 AM »

"I don't have education, I have inspiration. If I were educated, I'd be a damn fool."
-Bob Marley (Berhane Selassie)-

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:45:06 AM »

Accusations that the NIA is a scam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0LrDzJRMRI

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: