OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A tad confused about prayer...  (Read 593 times) Average Rating: 0
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »

I heard that the Orthodox are not supposed to pray with heterodox Christians outside of the church. So, if I'm with my Protestant friends, does that mean that if they decide to pray in a group that I should just stand there and do nothing? Also, if I go to a Protestant church with friends or family, does that mean I shouldn't pray at all inside of it? I'm rather confused by this.  Huh

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:40:15 AM »

I don't know what the official position of the Church is, although I did hear something along those lines. I do know that, like all rules, we sometimes have to use our common sense about interpreting them in the interests of being kind--you know, being a Christian. We often have social obligations that don't fall into neat compartments. Err on the side of love.

My personal decision would be to 1) try to avoid such situations, but, if they happen, 2) participate insofar as I am able because they are my friends and I would not willingly hurt, nor make a big deal about religious differences, with a friend. Unless they are doing something in their prayer that's wholely anti-Orthodox, I would try to compromise with them. I might even say--without ostentation--a silent Orthodox prayer instead. (If they spontaneously decide to pray, they're probably pretty nice people to begin with. Obviously, they're not axe-murderers.) Do you mean to tell me you'd let a perfectly good opportunity to pray to God to pass you by?

If, for some unavoidable reason, I ever end up in a Protestant church, I'll be gracious and good willed. God still hears your prayers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:42:04 AM by sainthieu » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 12:01:27 PM »

Ask your Priest Wink

Better yet watch your Priest. See what happens when you are in a situation where common prayer among a variety of varying heterodox is being held and he is present.

Once, we were among a crowd that obviously were rather charismatic. My Priest turned to me and said (with a touch of humor): If they start holding hands and swaying, don't you even think of grabbing my hand.

I asked my Priest directly once (and I've mentioned it here) about closing AA with the Lord's Prayer. He gave me his NBD shrug.

Funny thing is that it does "feel" different saying that prayer in that context. Strangely, more "ritualistic".

I try to remain respectful: silent. But I won't hold hands, sway, mouth the words, say "amen" etc. If the prayers are Orthodox: Lord's Prayer, then I have no problem really.

And FWIW on the Lord's Prayer, Fr. Hopko believes no one should be saying it who ain't Baptized and Chrismated and regularly communing with the OC in an ideal world.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 04:00:10 PM »

Fr. Hopko said that (Fr. Hopko of St. Vladimir's?)?  Does he include inquirers into Orthodoxy and/or Catechumans among the non-Baptised (of course they aren't, but I'd say they are in a slightly different camp from the heterodox)?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »

Fr. Hopko said that (Fr. Hopko of St. Vladimir's?)?  Does he include inquirers into Orthodoxy and/or Catechumans among the non-Baptised (of course they aren't, but I'd say they are in a slightly different camp from the heterodox)?
He also said that today the "cat is out of the bag" on all the secret stuff like the Gospel of John, Trinity, devotion to the Theotokos, Lord's Prayer, Eucharist, etc. So we're living in a different age.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »

Fr. Hopko said that (Fr. Hopko of St. Vladimir's?)?  Does he include inquirers into Orthodoxy and/or Catechumans among the non-Baptised (of course they aren't, but I'd say they are in a slightly different camp from the heterodox)?
He also said that today the "cat is out of the bag" on all the secret stuff like the Gospel of John, Trinity, devotion to the Theotokos, Lord's Prayer, Eucharist, etc. So we're living in a different age.

That sorta takes away from the provocation . . .

Thanks.  Cry
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:45:08 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »

Thank you indeed, I was worried I was doing something wrong  laugh

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »

Ask your Priest Wink

Better yet watch your Priest. See what happens when you are in a situation where common prayer among a variety of varying heterodox is being held and he is present.

Once, we were among a crowd that obviously were rather charismatic. My Priest turned to me and said (with a touch of humor): If they start holding hands and swaying, don't you even think of grabbing my hand.

I asked my Priest directly once (and I've mentioned it here) about closing AA with the Lord's Prayer. He gave me his NBD shrug.

Funny thing is that it does "feel" different saying that prayer in that context. Strangely, more "ritualistic".

I try to remain respectful: silent. But I won't hold hands, sway, mouth the words, say "amen" etc. If the prayers are Orthodox: Lord's Prayer, then I have no problem really.

And FWIW on the Lord's Prayer, Fr. Hopko believes no one should be saying it who ain't Baptized and Chrismated and regularly communing with the OC in an ideal world.

The only people I've ever seen my priest around is other Orthodox (he lives in a different city than I do so I only see him at church). *shrug*

Thanks for the advice on not holding hands and swaying with people. The more Orthodox I become the more weird that sort of thing seems to me.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: