OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 09:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ronald Reagan Dies at age 93  (Read 3258 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 05, 2004, 05:07:58 PM »

Long live his memory!
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 05:15:47 PM »

I was never a big fan of him and I certainly wasn't a supporter, but he will be in my prayers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 05:16:29 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 05:20:14 PM »

I am just unbelievably sad. He was one of the best presidents ever. Sad

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 06:43:02 PM »

I have mixed feelings on Reagan - but one thing that caused me to like him more was an interview I read a few years ago with the Soviet era poet Irina Ratushinskaya who was imprisoned for a number of years for writing "anti-soviet" poetry. In an interview she said:

"I met Ronald Reagan twice. He said he had developed a fancy for my poetry even while I was imprisoned. He read my poems in English, of course. Why a poet, a woman at that, should be kept in jail? He took this as a personal offense. He had an old-fashioned American concept about men having to protect women first. He discussed the matter with Gorbachev, even though pronouncing Ratushinskaya was a problem, but he had rehearsed. He told me about rehearsing, making me laugh, saying the biggest problem was getting the emphasis right.

Before our meeting some of his people made it clear that we could easily become US citizens. All we had to do was ask, and the President would give it to us (We were stripped of Soviet citizenship while visiting England.) We politely avoided the subject. We really liked Reagan, and I think he felt the same toward us."

Maybe misguided in some of his policies, but seems a great man at heart!

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2004, 11:23:51 PM »

He ALWAYS had this unmitigated optimism for our country.  And It never wavered.  He was NEVER condisending.  He loved all that was good about our country.

I will miss him terribly.  May eternal rest grant to him O Lord, and may Your Perpetual light shine upon him.  Amen.

Memory Eternal.

JoeS   :'(
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 02:04:51 AM »

Mr. Reagan and his family will be in my prayers... :'(

What a very decent and inspiring example of a human being & one of the greatest leaders we have ever had. You who came from very humble beginnings to rise to the occasion many times to take evil head on and without any reservation. You alone brought us back from the brink of nuclear destruction. You had so much respect for the white house that you wouldn't even take off your suit coat in the oval office for common comfort.

All I have to say is that great men don't stop being great men after death. Ronald Reagan will always be a great man.

In Mr. Reagans own words:

"August 23, 1984
RNC Speech

"The poet called Miss Liberty's torch, "the lamp beside the golden door." Well, that was the entrance to America, and it still is. And now you really know why we're here tonight.

The glistening hope of that lamp is still ours. Every promise every opportunity is still golden in this land. And through that golden door our children can walk into tomorrow with the knowledge that no one can be denied the promise that is America.

Her heart is full; her torch is still golden, her future bright. She has arms big enough to comfort and strong enough to support, for the strength in her arms is the strength of her people. She will carry on in the eighties unafraid, unashamed, and unsurpassed.

In this springtime of hope, some lights seem eternal; America's is."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 08:02:47 AM »

I am just unbelievably sad. He was one of the best presidents ever. Sad

anastasios

Amen!

I think his image should be added to Mt. Rushmore.

Mr. Reagan will be in my prayers.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 11:20:43 PM »

I was wondering what faith former President Regan was. I mean I know he was a conservative Christian, but what denomination? Or was he not active in any denomination?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 12:04:19 AM »

Disciples of Christ.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 12:17:18 AM »

Ah thats what I was before I became Catholic.

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 12:43:18 AM »

I was wondering what faith former President Regan was. I mean I know he was a conservative Christian, but what denomination? Or was he not active in any denomination?

Disciples of Christ.

After I heard about his passing, I was wondering about this myself. I wasn't sure if it was public knowledge because no one I had asked knew. Interesting...

I admired him greatly and I am truly grieved to hear that he passed away.

May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

In Christ,
Aaron
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 02:48:10 AM »

Eternal Memory.  I cannot describe the sorrow I felt when I heard of his passing just before I went into Vigil.  This man literally saved this country (if you don't believe me just look at what he had handed to him in terms of the almost completely destroyed economy when he took office).  He was the closest thing we had to a real American president in the 20th Century.

Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Reagan shall be in my prayers.  

Memoria Aeternam!

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 07:55:32 AM »

"I see that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."

- President Ronald Reagan

JoeS   Roll Eyes
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 11:43:34 AM »

I listened to his D-Day speech that he made 20 years ago last night.  The way he spoke, mention God every few minutes, made me dislike how politics these days are going.  It was a very good speech he gave, compared to Bush's.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 01:14:55 PM »

Seriously, what is wrong with these people?
Let his widow & family grieve in peace.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 01:32:59 PM »

Reagan was a great American figure.  He was often belittled when he was in office by his detractors, many of whom considered him an intellectual lightweight, but these people missed the point that Reagan was able to lead very effectively due to the strength of his personal character.  Reagan was seen, even by those who disliked his policies, as basically a good guy and not as a mean-spirited person.  He was able to joke with his adversaries, and debate with them in a good natured way, and leave the debate as friends.

I think a lot of the nostalgia we are seeing today about Reagan relates to the very unfortunate, caustic, polarized climate that has taken root in Washington in the days since Reagan left office.  At this point, there are many in both political parties who not only are disinterested in debate, but who revile the *persons* of their adversaries, who view their ideological counterweights with an almost visceral sense of revulsion and loathing.  I think that many people do not like this current political climate of ours and look back nostalgically on a period when we had a divisive figure as President and yet were able to relate to each other politically in a much more civil, friendly manner than we seem to be able to today.  Things got so nasty politically in the 1990s, that I think Reagan, or at least remembering him, seems like a breath of fresh political air to many.

B
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 05:55:58 PM »

The picture looks like it was on the route of the cortege either to the Capitol or to the Cathedral.   How very cruel.  But, Ania, there are people who harbour ill-feelings towards Ronald Reagan after all these years and they cannot let go nor consider others feelings because of it I would guess.  Definitely not following the Golden Rule.

At least the funeral service was not disrupted.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2004, 12:21:35 AM »

Ok. So I was watching the Reagan State Funeral this afternoon on C-Span. I watched as one of my personal heroes was commited to the hereafter--by another of my personal heroes, former senator John Danforth, R-Missiouri, who is apparently an Episcopalean Priest now. I was wondering if anyone knew where he is a Priest and also what churchmanship he is?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2004, 04:06:59 AM »

The commentary on NPR stated he is a priest at  The Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion, (Universal City,MO)which is fairly high church judging by their website.
http://www.holycommunion.net/worship.htm

Interestingly the site doesn't list Danforth among thier clergy, he could be an adjunct or priest associate of some sort.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 04:07:37 AM by Crucifer » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 04:20:37 AM »

according to the website of the Episcopal Diocese of Missouri, he is a retired Canon so that could explain his not being listed.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 04:25:53 AM »

Interesting website btw.  Looks to be "Prayerbook Catholic" in focus.  I wondered since he wore the traditional Cassock and Cotta with Stole at both the funeral and burial if he was something akin to groups like the Prayerbook Society.  

Personally I'm more a fan of the English Missal angloCatholcis than the Prayerbook Anglocatholics but Holy Communion looks like a nice place.  I love that they do Rite I for at least the early service.  You don't see many parishes catering to the Rite I crowd.  It's a good sign IMHO.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2004, 04:27:37 AM »

uh-oh praised the place to soon.  Just saw the name of the Rector.

Joe Zollars

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 08:00:44 AM »

uh-oh praised the place to soon.  Just saw the name of the Rector.
Joe Zollars

What's wrong w/ the name Brooke? Read his bio.

Proverbs 22:7
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2004, 10:21:27 AM »

Brooke is a man, but he is married to a priestess. The cartoon on the bio page is great, though.

Matt

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2004, 10:46:27 AM »

Data point: The "C" in the Reverend Mr. Danforth's name is for "Claggett"  an old Maryland family.  Bishop Claggett was the First Episcopal Bishop of the state of Maryland and the first one consecrated on American soil.  The ones before him were consecrated in Scotland.

Also, Canon Danforth was already a priest when he was in the senate.

Did you watch all of the funeral, Joe?  I only saw the last part, unfortunately.  It was very dignified and respectful.  

Ebor
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 10:47:24 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2004, 11:53:46 AM »

I watched the whole thing and I was impressed with how pious it was. I had heard some commentators the previous night saying that it would have very little references to Christianity -- fortunately they were proved wrong.

Not bad at all, especially since it was done by DP's  Grin
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 02:55:59 PM »

What's wrong w/ the name Brooke? Read his bio.

whew.  I thought that name was well particularly feminine and then ran like the wind Grin

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2004, 02:58:56 PM »

Data point: The "C" in the Reverend Mr. Danforth's name is for "Claggett"  an old Maryland family.  Bishop Claggett was the First Episcopal Bishop of the state of Maryland and the first one consecrated on American soil.  The ones before him were consecrated in Scotland.

Also, Canon Danforth was already a priest when he was in the senate.

Did you watch all of the funeral, Joe?  I only saw the last part, unfortunately.  It was very dignified and respectful.  

Ebor

Yes thank you for the datapoint and clarification.  

Yes of course I watched the whole thing.  It was like amember of the family had died. Watched the whole burial too.  And the services when the Casket was brought into the Rotunda.  Wanted to watch the stuff earlier this week at the Reagan Presidential Library but had other stuff I had to do.  

Joe Zollars

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2004, 08:21:17 PM »

http://www.ronaldreaganmemorial.com/photo_gallery.asp
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2004, 06:31:30 AM »

Great Link tom! thanks!

Joe Zollars

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: