OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:12:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican-appointed panel warns of climate change  (Read 478 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: May 11, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

VATICAN CITY (AP) — A Vatican-appointed panel of scientists has reported what climate change experts have been warning for years: the Earth is getting warmer, glaciers are melting, and urgent measures are necessary to stem the damage.

The scientists called for urgent reduction of carbon dioxide emissions and reductions in methane and other pollutants that warm the air, and for improved observation of mountain glaciers to better track their changes.

Just a small edit to pare down the quoted article for reasons of length -Schultz
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:25:15 PM by Schultz » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:59:29 PM »

This is a sad development. Shades of Vatican infallibility?

The core of the earth is heating up, which would cause melting of the glaciers and the warming of the oceans, thus causing more weather disturbances and severe flooding. Witness the increasing volcanic activity and earthquake activity too.

Visit www.spaceweather.com. This site provides evidence of increased coronal activity of the sun.

Also, the position of our solar system is not static but dynamic. We are moving around in this universe.
Certain parts of our universe have more intense radiation due to the explosions of super novas.

Have many astrophysicists has the Vatican consulted? I would ask my dad, but he died in 2004. He worked at Lawrence Livermore Labs, and his fields of expertise were chemical engineering, ecology, and astrophysics. He did mention global warming, but said it was not Carbon Dioxide mediated but rather due to celestial happenings, the instability of our sun, and its affect on our earth's core.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:00:20 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »

The core of the earth is heating up, which would cause melting of the glaciers and the warming of the oceans, thus causing more weather disturbances and severe flooding. Witness the increasing volcanic activity and earthquake activity too.

Visit www.spaceweather.com. This site provides evidence of increased coronal activity of the sun.

Also, the position of our solar system is not static but dynamic. We are moving around in this universe.
Certain parts of our universe have more intense radiation due to the explosions of super novas.

Have many astrophysicists has the Vatican consulted? I would ask my dad, but he died in 2004. He worked at Lawrence Livermore Labs, and his fields of expertise were chemical engineering, ecology, and astrophysics. He did mention global warming, but said it was not Carbon Dioxide mediated but rather due to celestial happenings, the instability of our sun, and its affect on our earth's core.
Let's suppose that what you say is true. Are you then arguing that we should maintain our dependence on fossil fuels?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

Let's suppose that what you say is true. Are you then arguing that we should maintain our dependence on fossil fuels?

"I thought this was going to be about petroleum products?"

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »

VATICAN CITY (AP) — A Vatican-appointed panel of scientists has reported what climate change experts have been warning for years: the Earth is getting warmer, glaciers are melting, and urgent measures are necessary to stem the damage.

The scientists called for urgent reduction of carbon dioxide emissions and reductions in methane and other pollutants that warm the air, and for improved observation of mountain glaciers to better track their changes.
Brenda Ekwurzel, the assistant director of climate research and analysis at the Union of Concerned Scientists, a Cambridge, Massachusettss-based think tank, said the report was a "straightforward recap of major known findings about glaciers," that was penned by high-caliber scientists. She highlighted one significant point in the report's title and throughout; it refers to the new geologic "era" of human modification of the world, known as "Anthropocene."

"Perhaps the reality that the Vatican recognizes this fact, as the report indicates, is worth mentioning to those who remain unconvinced of human-induced climate change," Ekwurzel said in an email.

Glory to God for this report!

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »

I think our reliance on fossil fuels is not good. These petrochemicals along with the gasoline additives tend to pollute the air.
Some non-polyethylene plastics which are made from petroleum have been shown to release false estrogens into our environment. These estrogens are disrupting the life cycles of fish and frogs. Now some scientists are claiming that they do have adverse effects on humans.
I am more concerned with the ecological damage due to the extensive use of pharmaceuticals (estrogens in birth control pills), chemical pesticides, and fertilizers. Many of our pharmaceuticals and chemicals used in the garden and in agriculture come from petroleum.

However, with the increased cry of global warming, increased global warming fees and taxes that the state and federal governments want to charge will only hurt the honest taxpayers and end up funding the politicians' favorite pork projects. For example, here in California, the politicians continue to rob funding for police and fire fighters to fund non-emergency general fund programs, including their pay increases. Most of the laws that are signed or voted into law have loopholes that allow designated funds to be appropriated by the general fund and used for other purposes. As a result, new funding laws must be voted in continually. Thus these so-called global warming taxes are bound to be robbed and used for other purposes. Therefore, I smell a rat. I believe that the cry of global warming due to carbon dioxide is not completely true, and I also believe that using global warming as another excuse for increased taxation is wrong.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:41:01 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:54:16 PM »

Reading the AP report (the original article) shows that apparently not ONE astrophysicist was consulted. Thus this study is flawed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »

Reading the AP report (the original article) shows that apparently not ONE astrophysicist was consulted.

Glory to God again!

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Not to get too far from the OP or the subject of this forum, but this seems to be quite a transition from the traditional Roman Catholic doctrine and history regarding human affects on Creation.  The Catholic Church has long time taught that the Universe is perfect the way God made it, and that there is no change aside from God.  In acknowledging "the new geologic "era" of human modification of the world, known as "Anthropocene" and that "Perhaps the reality that the Vatican recognizes this fact, as the report indicates, is worth mentioning to those who remain unconvinced of human-induced climate change."

This is in fact a quite radical transition, not necessarily of late, but in the context of Western History.  I wonder what the Orthodox opinion is regarding the human affects on global climate?

My two-cents:  it is literally common sense to know that human activities in relation to fossil fuels is causing some sort of change and obviously could have an affect, for any human being who ever lit a fire in an enclosed space surely has practical experience as to greenhouse gases and global warming.  If we burn billions of tons of fossil fuels and wood for heating/energy, surely it doesn't take experts to assume that there will be some naturally occurring consequences to the environment and the world.  True, volcanism is the largest source of the increasing greenhouse effect, and volcanoes and vents release monumentally more gases than does the human burning of fossil fuels, however this only accentuates the impact of humans, not diminishes it.  God has given us the Free-Will to attempt to make better decisions in His Grace.  Is global warming the Apocalypse? Not likely, but is global warming an observed reality we as Christians need to acknowledge and deal with, yes. The largely American right-shifting Protestant interpretation of denial of global warming and basically insinuating a  "kill em all and let God sort em out" attitude is quite disconcerting how Christians could be so callous and even vitriolic.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:21:11 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: