OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:37:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for softening of my mother's heart  (Read 484 times) Average Rating: 0
ImperfectRose
Jacqueline

Faith: Inquirer to Orthodoxy

O Holy Saint Grand Duchess Elizabeth, pray for us!

« on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »

I have been very spiritually tired of my current church. It is non-denominational, and I feel that the Lord has been leading me to the Orthodox church. I live near one and am going to ask my mother if my father could take me, so please pray that she agrees. She thinks that the Orthodox "worship" the saints and Mary instead of Jesus, which is not true at all. We only ask them for prayer like as we'd do with a friend. Please pray that her heart will be softened. Thank you.

Psalm 57:2 "I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me."
Psalm 62:1 "Truly my soul silently waits for God; From Him comes my salvation."
Psalm 59:9 "I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense."
John 11:35 "Jesus wept."
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »

Have been there myself...Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy, Lord have mercy.

Why don't you show her a copy of the Divine Liturgy and compare the amount of times we pray "Lord have mercy" to the amount of times we pray to the Theotokos for intercession? It probably won't convince them right off, but it's a start.

My father-in-law was worried that they weren't "Bible based" (oy to the vey), and I found that the writings of the saints reference a ton of Bible verses. Will that change his heart right away? Probably not, but it may ease his worries, because the proof is in the pudding.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:17:18 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I have been very spiritually tired of my current church. It is non-denominational, and I feel that the Lord has been leading me to the Orthodox church. I live near one and am going to ask my mother if my father could take me, so please pray that she agrees. She thinks that the Orthodox "worship" the saints and Mary instead of Jesus, which is not true at all. We only ask them for prayer like as we'd do with a friend. Please pray that her heart will be softened. Thank you.

As an instructor in my parish Youth Ministry and further as a high school teacher with a lot experience with kids your age, I applaud the sincerity of your faith here! Even more so, I applaud your gracious courage to seek the truth in the spirit of meekness and humility! So many people in Orthodox even fall into the bitterness of self-righteousness and scathing condemnations of others.  That you respect your parents above all else is the sign of a TRUE CHRISTIAN! Even our Lord and Savior, "went with his parents, and was subject unto them."

In most Catholic Churches there is a statue/icon of the Holy Family working in St Joseph's craft shop, and the faithful are taught to venerate this scene as the perfect Christian.  Jesus Christ submitted to His parents fully even though He was God Almighty, just as we must also continually submit to God and our daily reality as it is revealed by God day to day.  His parents equally submitted to Him though, and both acknowledged the place and purpose of the other in the scheme of Salvation.  

We should both honor our God, and yet honor Him through our daily obligations, including reverence of our own families.  God put us under our families, as He even put Himself under the same subjugation!  This is a valuable lesson in faith that you are teaching us in your example. We must not be haughty or hardheaded in our approach to Orthodox, rather we should turn all our efforts to prayer as you have advised both yourself and ourselves.

God alone can change the hearts of men and women, not we ourselves or any of our charismatic ideas or staunch convictions.  So continue in prayer, God will open the doors where they must be opened.

PS, in my own life even as an adult I continually have to follow your own advice, and rather then try to boss my parents around based on my own opinions and interpretations, I have found much more success in holding my peace and not speaking on matters except in prayer to God.  Speak your heart to God first, and let Him do all the work.  When it is your turn to speak, He will also move you in such a direction in His Grace, especially as you continually submit to Him! Again, much thanks for the sincerity and piety of your comments here, I will pray for you to find a parish and a Sacramental relationship in God in His Time.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:33:23 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 04:05:45 AM »

Prayers.....

Lord Have Mercy....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:22:53 AM »

Lord. have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: