OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 05:58:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank God For Money  (Read 660 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« on: May 10, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »

I know, the title just sounds wrong. Nonetheless, I haven't had a car since December, and I've been riding the bus and walking since then, and I've been wondering what I am going to do. I had to switch all my Spring courses to online, and I got lucky with my two summer semester courses as they are both in the local branch of the school (about 3 miles away), but starting in the fall I was going to have to start going down to the main campus again, and it's about 15 miles away (and taking the bus just wasn't going to cut it). I was thinking I'd have to scrape together $500 or $600 and get a junker of a car to make due for now... but then who knows how long that'd last before it broke down. Anyway... so as a "praise report"... I thank God for sending me some money (I sound like such a health and wealth preacher right now). My Father is giving me some money to buyout (is that the right term?) my 1/4th of a family house that is being left to me by my grandparents (who were also my legal guardians for a time, and considered me a 4th son). He's sending me a lot of the money tomorrow, and the rest in payments over the next year.

Now if you will please just pray for me that I don't go crazy and spend a lot of money on books and icons and such, since the money should go towards getting a car and paying some of my student debt!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Maybe, instead of cash, your dad could use that money to buy and deliver a car to you?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »

Perhaps you can set a small budget for each month (and I mean SMALL) for books and icons? You can also make the payment on your student debts soon after depositing the check. I make all my payments as soon as I can to thwart any temptation.

Now, with the remaining amount of money...if I could only get that feeding two grown men > getting my 385732 book.

Oh PS, Glory to God! He does bless us with money when He sees fit...it just isn't always enough to buy an SUV. I don't think it's too "health and wealth" to rejoice over having enough money to get a car! We had to get a new-very used one recently when ours got totaled, and I was dancing in joy when we found one on our incredibly meager budget.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:20:14 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Maybe, instead of cash, your dad could use that money to buy and deliver a car to you?

He did ask if I wanted him to look for a car for me, especially since he's much more mechanical than I am (one of his old hobbies was even putting harley's together from scratch), and I said yeah, to keep an eye out. I'll also start searching sites like autotrader.com as well and see what I can come up with (I actually almost bought a car in December that I found on there that a dealer had, but between the payment the dealer wanted, the gas, and the insurance, I just couldn't cover all the costs at the time).

Perhaps you can set a small budget for each month (and I mean SMALL) for books and icons? You can also make the payment on your student debts soon after depositing the check. I make all my payments as soon as I can to thwart any temptation.

Now, with the remaining amount of money...if I could only get that feeding two grown men > getting my 385732 book.

Oh PS, Glory to God! He does bless us with money when He sees fit...it just isn't always enough to buy an SUV. I don't think it's too "health and wealth" to rejoice over having enough money to get a car! We had to get a new-very used one recently when ours got totaled, and I was dancing in joy when we found one on our incredibly meager budget.

Well, I do try to do a budget, the problem is following through with it, hehe Smiley Good idea about keeping right on top of it, before you get itching for stuff though.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

Praise God!

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:33 PM »

I know, the title just sounds wrong. Nonetheless, I haven't had a car since December, and I've been riding the bus and walking since then, and I've been wondering what I am going to do. I had to switch all my Spring courses to online, and I got lucky with my two summer semester courses as they are both in the local branch of the school (about 3 miles away), but starting in the fall I was going to have to start going down to the main campus again, and it's about 15 miles away (and taking the bus just wasn't going to cut it). I was thinking I'd have to scrape together $500 or $600 and get a junker of a car to make due for now... but then who knows how long that'd last before it broke down. Anyway... so as a "praise report"... I thank God for sending me some money (I sound like such a health and wealth preacher right now). My Father is giving me some money to buyout (is that the right term?) my 1/4th of a family house that is being left to me by my grandparents (who were also my legal guardians for a time, and considered me a 4th son). He's sending me a lot of the money tomorrow, and the rest in payments over the next year.

Now if you will please just pray for me that I don't go crazy and spend a lot of money on books and icons and such, since the money should go towards getting a car and paying some of my student debt!

Unsolicited advice:buy a car, put the rest in a money market account with automatic payments to your student loan account.
Don't leave the extra cash in your checking acct where it is easily accesible. If it's in a saving acct you have to think before spending it. Anytime you're thinking about taking money out of your savings acct look at your acct balance and say aloud  "student loans cannot be discharged by bankrupcy. They are never discharged until they are paid off. They can garnishe wages and unemployment checks to collect it. The interest will just keep mounting"
I paid off about 10k in credit card debt in 18 mos, so I do know a little about budgeting.

Proverbs 22:7
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »

oh, in case I didn't mention this in my previous post:
student loans cannot be discharged by bankrupcy. They are never discharged until they are paid off. They can garnishe wages and unemployment checks to collect it. The interest will just keep mounting.

they're like Dick Clark...they go on forever!

quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »

Lord have mercy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »

Lord, have mercy.  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:33:44 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »

Lord Have Mercy
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »

just curious, what did you decide to do with the money?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »

After thinking about it, and the initial happiness wore off, I ended up paying bills (student loans and such) and upgrading some stuff, rather than getting a car, mainly for two reasons:

1) I could have only bought a car that was fairly cheap, and I was afraid it'd break down in a year or two and then I'd have been back where I started, since I wouldn't have been able to fix it. Even something fairly minor like needing to replace the tires to pass inspection could have been undoable. So I figured, why buy something that I won't be able to maintain for long?

2) It was just going to cost too much. I can buy a monthly bus pass for about the price of insurance for a car, plus then I don't have to pay for maintenance (oil, etc.), and especially gas.  The only issue* with that plan is that I like in a semi-rural area, and the bus doesn't go on Sundays or at nights, so I'm limited as to where I can go and when (e.g. this morning my priest picked me up and drove me to liturgy).

Btw, I see now that I didn't respond to the last posts in this thread, I apologize for that. I did read your advice at the time. Smiley

* I sort of worked out getting to school, so that isn't an issue... until maybe next fall.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: