OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 10:19:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beth Mardutho offers Syriac and Coptic Summer Courses  (Read 12292 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:05 PM »

Saw this on the Hugoye List & thought it may be of interest to people here:

Beth Mardutho offers Syriac and Coptic Summer Courses
Announcement

The Syriac Institute (Beth Mardutho), in conjunction with Rutgers University, is holding two summer language courses, one for Syriac and one for Coptic. The classes will take place during Rutgers’ third summer session from July 11th to August 17th. Students will have the option to enroll in one or both classes, and may opt to receive 3 Rutgers credits per course. Teaching is 7.5 hours per week (see tentative schedule below). To enroll, please contact Phoebe Youhanna at phoebe@....

Pricing per course is as follows:

·         $500 without Rutgers credits
·         Ca. $1300 with Rutgers credits (NJ residents)
·         Ca. $2400 with Rutgers credits (out-of-state students)

Deadline for registration is June 15, 2011. Information on how to register with Rutgers will be provided.

Students are expected to arrange for their own housing. Information regarding possible dorm rooms and local hotels will be provided upon request.

Introduction to Syriac

Meeting Time: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 am - 1:45 pm (tentative)

Course Description: This course is designed to introduce the student to the fundamentals of the grammar of the Syriac language.  Class work will consist primarily of formal grammatical drills and simple reading passages from the Syriac Bible and early Syriac Literature.  Emphasis will be placed on acquiring the vocabulary and the grammatical structure of the language, while some time will also be given to introducing the student to Syriac literature and culture.

No Prerequisite

Introduction to Coptic

Meeting Time: Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00 pm – 9:45 pm (tentative)

Course Description: This course is designed to introduce the student to the fundamentals of the grammar of the Coptic language.  Class work will consist primarily of formal grammatical drills and simple reading passages from the Coptic Bible and early Coptic Literature.  Emphasis will be placed on acquiring the vocabulary and the grammatical structure of the language, while some time will also be given to introducing the student to Coptic literature and culture.

No Prerequisite

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hugoye-list/message/4527

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »

Interesting.  I know a cousin of mine who would love to take probably both classes.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:53:44 AM »

Interesting.  I know a cousin of mine who would love to take probably both classes.

I wish I was able to myself. Syriac studies, in particular, has really taken off thanks to the tireless efforts of George Kiraz & Sebastian Brock. I hope the same eventually happens for Coptic studies.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags: Syriac Language  Coptic Language liturgical languages Syriac Orthodox Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: