OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:49:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Successor Hierarch for the ACROD?  (Read 21314 times) Average Rating: 0
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« on: May 10, 2011, 12:59:28 AM »

Does anyone have any information or a basis for speculation as to who will succeed Metropolitan Nicholas, of blessed memory?  A friend who is in ACROD told me there is no obvious candidate of whom he is aware.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:38:01 AM »

No information from the several priests with whom I have spoken (and they ARE going to have to make the decision, after all). Speculation is, well, just that -speculation (something I'd rather avoid).

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »

No information from the several priests with whom I have spoken (and they ARE going to have to make the decision, after all). Speculation is, well, just that -speculation (something I'd rather avoid).

Indeed, speculation is just that. I will try to post information on that when it is released by the Chancery Office as I will likely hear of it before it hits the official diocesan website.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:22:25 AM »

Are there any internal candidates? It would seem to those of us on the outside of ACROD that they would need to go outside to find a candidate.

Joseph
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:50:30 AM »

Christos anesti!
Are there any internal candidates? It would seem to those of us on the outside of ACROD that they would need to go outside to find a candidate.
I don't know why. Didn't the OCA just consecrate someone from ACROD as the new bishop of Chicago (Many Years!)

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »

Yes, ialmisry, the OCA's new Bishop of Chicago was from ACROD, likewise the OCA's Bishop of New York had been released to the OCA from ACROD.

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »

Most likely they'll go to the Ukrainians to get a Bishop like they did with Nicholas (He was in the Ukrainian Church when the See became vacant). The Internal Candidates in ACROD are few and far between and to my knowledge there are few that are under 60.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »

Yes, but Metropolitan Nicholas had been in ACROD his entire life, prior to his elevation to the episcopacy and his election to the throne of the UOC of America, a short period of time before  ACROD Bishop John's untimely passing, which caught most everyone by surprise.

kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »

Would the Diocese be open to a non-Ruthenian/Carpatho-Russyn bishop? Does it have any say in the selection process?

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »

Would the Diocese be open to a non-Ruthenian/Carpatho-Russyn bishop? Does it have any say in the selection process?

IIRC they have the most important voice in the selection process; they forward their choice to Constantinople for ratification by the Patriarchal Synod.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »

Wonderful! I wasn't sure given how things seem to work in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »

Wonderful! I wasn't sure given how things seem to work in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

It is a common misunderstanding and for some a deliberate misstatement, that the Carpatho-Russian and the two canonical Ukrainian Orthodox jurisdictions in North America are 'in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.' None of us are either structurally or legally part of the Archdiocese. As a matter of general practice we do not commemorate the Archbishop of America. At the present time given our vacant position, he is our Locum Tenens and is being commemorated, however upon the enthronement of a new Bishop,that will no longer be the case.

The three jurisdictions in question, ACROD, the UOCUSA and UOCC, are under the omophor of the ecumenical throne and operate, for lack of a better word (and this is not being used in any canonical reference) autonomously. Bishops are chosen pursuant to the by-laws governing each of these jurisdictions and the choice is forwarded to the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarch for approval. To my knowledge, limited to ACROD, the Synod has never rejected any of the choices submitted since its founding in 1938.

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »

But doesn't ACROD communicate to the Ecumenical Patriarch, technically, through the GO Archbishop of America; isn't its Holy Chrism received from the GO Archbishop of America?  Perhaps due to his personal relationship with Patriarch Bartholomew (and His Holiness' micromanaging style), Metropolitan Nicholas communicated with the Ecumenical Patriarch directly, but I think, although he enjoys "ruling bishop's" authority within ACROD, and the ACROD constitution establishes its relative autonomy (again, not using this term under it's Orthodox ecclesial definition), the ACROD hierarch is an auxiliary bishop to the GO Archbishop of America, just like all the GOAA bishops were between 1930 and 1978.  I'd guess that Bishop John and Metropolitan Orestes communicated with the Ecumenical Throne through Archbishop Iakovos.  Note the title of the sees of their hierarchs, i.e. +Nicholas' was Amissos, (not Johnstown), probably an inactivated see of the Ecumenical Throne.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »

Christos anesti!
But doesn't ACROD communicate to the Ecumenical Patriarch, technically, through the GO Archbishop of America; isn't its Holy Chrism received from the GO Archbishop of America?  Perhaps due to his personal relationship with Patriarch Bartholomew (and His Holiness' micromanaging style), Metropolitan Nicholas communicated with the Ecumenical Patriarch directly, but I think, although he enjoys "ruling bishop's" authority within ACROD, and the ACROD constitution establishes its relative autonomy (again, not using this term under it's Orthodox ecclesial definition), the ACROD hierarch is an auxiliary bishop to the GO Archbishop of America, just like all the GOAA bishops were between 1930 and 1978.  I'd guess that Bishop John and Metropolitan Orestes communicated with the Ecumenical Throne through Archbishop Iakovos.  Note the title of the sees of their hierarchs, i.e. +Nicholas' was Amissos, (not Johnstown), probably an inactivated see of the Ecumenical Throne.
Ah, therein less the rub.  IIRC, Abp. Demetrios is also the exarch for the US (North America?)

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 10:24:19 AM »

It is a common misunderstanding and for some a deliberate misstatement, that the Carpatho-Russian and the two canonical Ukrainian Orthodox jurisdictions in North America are 'in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.' None of us are either structurally or legally part of the Archdiocese. As a matter of general practice we do not commemorate the Archbishop of America. At the present time given our vacant position, he is our Locum Tenens and is being commemorated, however upon the enthronement of a new Bishop,that will no longer be the case.

The three jurisdictions in question, ACROD, the UOCUSA and UOCC, are under the omophor of the ecumenical throne and operate, for lack of a better word (and this is not being used in any canonical reference) autonomously. Bishops are chosen pursuant to the by-laws governing each of these jurisdictions and the choice is forwarded to the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarch for approval. To my knowledge, limited to ACROD, the Synod has never rejected any of the choices submitted since its founding in 1938.

So that's why Metropolitan Nicholas went on so many trips to represent the Ecumenical Patriarch. Got it.....

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »

Within the world of Byzantium, there is reality, and there is perceived reality. This is not limited to the vicinity of the Phanar and the Ecumenical Throne but is pervasive across Orthodoxy.

The reality from within ACROD, at least from its founding in 1938 through the recent death of +Metropolitan Nicholas, is that we are a 'self-ruling' entity with no interference from the Phanar in our daily affairs. The only time I can remember the EP and his Exarch stepping in was when the late Bishop John presumed to make chrism during Holy Week. That only happened once and would not happen again.

I suspect that the perceived reality from the point of view of some within the OCA is that ACROD is not really self-ruling. (Certainly that is the argument that the UOC-KP factions advance against the UOC-USA.) On the other hand, the perceived reality from the point of view of the Phanar is to tread carefully lest the 'natives' get restless and attempt to move, probably towards the OCA or be unduly influenced by Moscow. (Certainly the recent enthronements of Bishops Michael and Matthias by the OCA would add 'fuel' to that perception, yet within our reality (that of ACROD) these acts are not viewed that way.)

Yes, Metropolitan Nicholas had a special bond of friendship with His All Holiness and he did act as his emissary on a number of occasions over the years. He had a particular role to play in relations with the Orthodox Church of the Czech and Slovak lands and with the Greek Catholics in Slovakia, Transcarpathia and the United States. So be it and so what - Bishops have various roles to fulfill in their mission to the Church.

I was at the Divine Liturgy in Perth Amboy, New Jersey at the late Metropolitan's home parish where His Eminence, Archbishop Demetrios celebrated the Liturgy in his capacity as locum tenens to commemorate the 40th day. It should be noted that the pastor, Fr. Michael Rosco noted that this marked the first and only time that any of the Greek Archbishops of New York had ever celebrated liturgy in one of our Churches during its entire seventy three years of existence. (Of course, the various  Archbishops have participated in liturgical events such as enthronements, consecrations and funerals over the years, but not as celebrant.)
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »

I remember seeing Archbishop Demetrios (or possibly Archbishop Spyridon?) referred to as 'Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.' I'm glad this hasn't been turned into an actual jurisdiction over the ACROD, the UOCC, or the UOCUSA (beyond being a locum tenens and/or installing new primates).

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »

I remember seeing Archbishop Demetrios (or possibly Archbishop Spyridon?) referred to as 'Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.' I'm glad this hasn't been turned into an actual jurisdiction over the ACROD, the UOCC, or the UOCUSA (beyond being a locum tenens and/or installing new primates).

I should note that he was very precise in his language regarding the Diocese and the vacancy during his homily so as not to fuel any conspiracy minded folks.
AMM
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »

I think many jurisdictions are going to be in scramble mode when looking for candidates given how few (at least as far as I can tell) monastics or unmarried and/or widowed priests there are around as potential candidates.  I think it's unfortunate that one of the main criteria may be whether the candidate is unmarried, as opposed to being a potential successful leader, but it is what it is.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:14 PM »

I have a question that perhaps you can answer since you seem to be a long time and active member of the Carpatho Rusyn Diocese. There has been talk among the Ruthenians (at least among the ones in Europe) to join the UGCC and form one jurisdiction. Has there ever been any discussions or desire to join the UOC-USA? Or are there significant differences whereby the Rusyns would lose their identity?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:42:03 PM by ICXCNIKA » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

It was never intended to be an extension of actual jurisdiction, merely a title indicating that The Archbishop of America is a representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate (EP + Synod) in the Western Hemisphere (incl. oceans/islands).  If the Patriarchate, for example, wanted a representative at an event (say, the funeral for His Eminence NICHOLAS of blessed memory), then the Archbishop of America would be "it."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:30:26 PM »

I have a question that perhaps you can answer since you seem to be a long time and active member of the Carpatho Rusyn Diocese. There has been talk among the Ruthenians (at least among the ones in Europe) to join the UGCC and form one jurisdiction. Has there ever been any discussions or desire to join the UOC-USA? Or are there significant differences whereby the Rusyns would lose their identity?

There are differences in chant and Rusyns have historically lacked a sense of cultural kinship with Ukraine. To the outside observer the differences may appear subtle, but nothing regarding Church and culture is always what it seems!

As you move from what is now eastern Slovakia into Transcarpathian Ukraine the Rusyns gradually give way to the western Ukrainians who are predominantly Greek Catholic. The Greek Catholics around the Slovak border and the cities of Uzhorod and Muchachevo are within the historic boundaries of the Greek Catholic Eparchy of Munkacs/Muchachevo which is a designated as a 'sui juris' church by Rome. They are not part of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Synod based in L'vov with pretensions upon Kiev. It is my understanding that this is a source of irritation to some Ukrainian nationalists who do not recognize the Rusyns as a separate group. Rusyns in Slovakia would have no desire to join the UGCC as they have their own 'sui juris' church with their own episcopacy.

The Orthodox Rusyns of Slovakia have their own parallel dioceses to those of the Greek Catholics and to my memory all of the Bishops of the Orthodox Church of the Czech and Slovak lands are at least partially Rusyn in ethnic background. The Orthodox were influenced by the presence of the White Russians who relocated to Ladimirova in Slovakia following the Revolution and remained there until Czechoslovakia came under Soviet domination. The late Metropolitan Laurus of ROCOR was born in Ladimirova and was of Rusyn heritage.

In Transcarpathia, the Orthodox Rusyns do not have their own Bishop as they were made part of the Russian Church following the USSR's annexation of Transcarpathia following World War II. They have a large presence in the Uzhorod area and the leading Orthodox Rusyn priest, Father Dymytry Sydor, is a 'thorn' in the side of the local Ukrainian authorities - most of whom are sympathetic to the UGCC or the UOC-KP. The Rusyns are aligned there with the UOC-MP. To those of you who have been to Uzhorod, you may have seen the massive Orthodox Church in the City constructed during the 1990's and yet unfinished in the upper church. This is the Cathedral Church of the Exhaltation of the Holy Cross built through  Fr. Dymytry's vision and will power. I believe it is intended to be the second or third largest Orthodox Church of the MP when completed.

As to the United States, ACROD and UOC-USA and Canada are on very friendly terms both on the hierarchical, clerical and lay side of things. Bishop Daniel of Toronto shares both Ukrainian and Rusyn heritage as did the late Archbishop Vsevelod. However, I do not see the possibility of there being any desire on either part to formalize things outside of the overall potential for change in our American Church per se.

A more detailed summary may be found here:  http://www.simkovich.org/religion.htm

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »

There are two hierarchs of the UOC-MP in Transcarpathia - are neither of them of Rusyn heritage?

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 03:01:03 PM »

I think the UOC-KP has a bishop in Transcarpathia as well, but I'm assuming he's ethnically Ukrainian...

podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »

There are two hierarchs of the UOC-MP in Transcarpathia - are neither of them of Rusyn heritage?

I don't think so, but I will check this Sunday with one of our parishioners who is a good friend of Fr. Dymyti.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:41 PM »

Coolness! :-)

ICXCNIKA
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »

podkarpatska,

Thank you for your very informative response. I will look at the website as well.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »

I just found the biographies on the Moscow Patriarchate's website - Archbishop Mark of Khust (who used to serve in the patriarchal exarchate in Canada) was born in Transcarpathia and Archbishop Theodore of Mukachevo was born in Galicia.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:56:10 PM by kijabeboy03 » Logged

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 05:44:55 AM »

I have a question that perhaps you can answer since you seem to be a long time and active member of the Carpatho Rusyn Diocese. There has been talk among the Ruthenians (at least among the ones in Europe) to join the UGCC and form one jurisdiction.

Although tangential to the main topic, I'd agree with my friend and brother, podkarpatska, that there is no interest among the Ruthenians of the Eparchy of Muchachevo to become one with the UGCC. If there is interest in such, it runs the other way, i.e., there are undoubtedly those within the UGCC who would like to absorb the Ruthenian jurisdiction into the larger sister Church.

Muchachevo sits as an observer at the UGCC Synod (and is annotated as such in minutes, etc) and while there are assuredly matters of common interest and concern that are jointly addressed, that is the extent of it.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »

Archbishop Mark of Khust was in Canada and came to one of our UOCC banquets for a celebration in Winnipeg.  Can't remember the occasion but he spoke in fluent Ukrainian and got along with the Orthodox in Canada.
Who is Bishop Daniel of Toronto?
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »

Archbishop Mark of Khust was in Canada and came to one of our UOCC banquets for a celebration in Winnipeg.  Can't remember the occasion but he spoke in fluent Ukrainian and got along with the Orthodox in Canada.
Who is Bishop Daniel of Toronto?

Me bad, Bishop Daniel is in Chicago!  I meant  Bishop Andriy (Peshko) who is the acting Bishop of the Eastern Eparchy of the UOCC. Please accept my apologies, my fingers were faster than my brain!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:55:02 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »

Is anyone aware of any developments as to who might be nominated as Metropolitan Nicholas' successor?

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »

Is Bishop Andriy not officially Bishop of Toronto to give the eparchy time to adjust to him or does the Ecumenical Patriarchate have an issue with his move from Western Europe to Canada?

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »

Is Bishop Andriy not officially Bishop of Toronto to give the eparchy time to adjust to him or does the Ecumenical Patriarchate have an issue with his move from Western Europe to Canada?

Bishop Andriy has yet to be enthroned as Bishop for the Eastern Eparchy, but he has been chosen as the Eparchy's next hierarch.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 03:48:21 PM »

Apparently he has, but why hasn't the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople at least recognized his election as auxiliary Bishop of Saskatoon by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada?

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »

Apparently he has, but why hasn't the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople at least recognized his election as auxiliary Bishop of Saskatoon by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada?

I'm confused. How do you know they didn't recognise his election to Saskatoon??

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

There's been no news of it since then - God knows in this day and age it would have been posted somewhere :-). As it is, everything available (that I can find anyway) says his election as Bishop of Saskatoon is still pending the Holy Synod's approval although he's already moved :-).

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »

the ACROD hierarch is an auxiliary bishop to the GO Archbishop of America, just like all the GOAA bishops were between 1930 and 1978.

I'm sorry I missed this earlier.  No, the ACROD hierarch is not an auxiliary bishop to the Archbishop; he is (was) a ruling bishop who happened to have as a see a city in Asia.  The Archbishop has/had no direct ecclesiastical authority over him, and only acted in relation to him as a brother hierarch or, when the occasion called for it, as the local exarch of the Patriarchate.

---------------------
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »

That is, then, the same setup as the Metropolises, right?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:32 AM »

For many years, but not in recent years, the GOAA Yearbook used to print the following language, in fine print, on the page that listed the SCOBA member ecclesiastical jurisdictions.

"Our relationship to the Ukrainian Orthodox Diocese and to the Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (see above) differs slightly to that which we have with other jurisdictions.  In both cases, since each were established by the Ecumenical Patriarchate, our Archdiocese, as Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate is entrusted with the direct spiritual supervision of their diocese.  This means that when they relate to the Ecumenical Patriarchate, for reception of Holy Chrism or the election of a new bishop, this must be submitted to the Archbishop, who in turn after reviewing the matter transmits it to the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate for action.  In all other matters these two dioceses function totally independent of this Archdiocese.

In addition, the Albanian Orthodox Diocese and the Byelorussian Orthodox Diocese are also under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.  Each of these diocese is headed by a vicar priest who is directly responsible to the Archbishop."

kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 04:16:13 AM »

The Belarusian Orthodox parishes are completely with the Belarusian Autocephalous Orthodox Church now, aren't they?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »

The Belarusian Orthodox parishes are completely with the Belarusian Autocephalous Orthodox Church now, aren't they?

There are a few within ACROD.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »

That is, then, the same setup as the Metropolises, right?

Excepting that the Ruling Bishop of ACROD is not the Bishop of Johnstown, PA just as Metropolitan Constantine of the UOCUSA is not the Bishop of Bound Brook, NJ. Also, these two jurisdictions have their own internal by-laws and regulations and are not subject to the Archdiocesan regulations which have been the subject of some discussion here recently.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:48:22 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »

Rusyns are Ukrainians.  That's my new bumpersticker, or at least Rusyn is a term/idea invented by second generation children of immigrant Ukrainian parents from Galicia.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 09:43:35 AM »

Rusyns are Ukrainians.  That's my new bumpersticker, or at least Rusyn is a term/idea invented by second generation children of immigrant Ukrainian parents from Galicia.

And here we go again... Wink

The Lemko-Rusyn Republic, founded at the end of WWI.

Kind of ruins your argmument that Rusyn is an immigrant idea, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:49:38 AM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags: Polish 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: