OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:51:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Creed  (Read 3876 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« on: May 09, 2011, 04:14:21 AM »

THE ETHIOPIAN CREED

<NOT the Nicene Creed>

Source:  http://www.TheChurchOfEthiopia.org
Could someone please tell me Enoch is an inventor and that this text is not actually used by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »

THE ETHIOPIAN CREED

<NOT the Nicene Creed>

Could someone please tell me Enoch is an inventor and that this text is not actually used by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church?

If it is being used by the Ethiopian Church, then it's a nice extended version of the Nicene creed.  I see nothing wrong with it.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Enoch

Faith: Ethiopia: The Kingdom of God
Jurisdiction: Tewahedo

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:54:01 PM »

THE ETHIOPIAN CREED

<NOT the Nicene Creed>

If it is being used by the Ethiopian Church, then it's a nice extended version of the Nicene creed.  I see nothing wrong with it.

May God bless you Minasoliman, not only you are using you mind you are guided by holy spirit.
Check out our website to learn more about us.
http://www.TheChurchOfEthiopia.org

Ethiopia Stretches Out Her Hands Unto God.   Ps. 67(68):31
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:02:39 PM »

If it is being used by the Ethiopian Church, then it's a nice extended version of the Nicene creed.  I see nothing wrong with it.
Nice? Hardly.

minasoliman, I believe you are being polite because you are afraid to offend any Ethiopian posters. Don't make apologies for for a creed that is not Orthodox, ever.  police

Adding to the creed is always serious business. It is what keeps Christians apart and tear the Church into schisms.

I honestly do not think that the Ethiopian Church uses this creed. Could someone please tell me that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church uses the unchanged Nicene creed. I will sleep so much better then.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:03:12 PM by Robert W » Logged
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

This was split off from:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35544.msg566892.html#msg566892

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:12:50 PM »

Robert,

I don't think the creed that Enoch posted is something that has replaced the Nicene Creed in the Ethiopian Church.  I get the feeling it is another creed, albeit based on the Nicene Creed, that may be used for teaching purposes.

This website has the Nicene Creed used in the Ethiopian Church:

http://www.ninesaintsethiopianorthodoxmonastery.org/id18.html

It looks pretty standard.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:15:14 PM by Salpy » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »

Kristos Tenestwal! (Christ is Risen!)

"The Church of Ethiopia" is not the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church. This man, Nubur Id, is very knowledgable, but he is promoting something different from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The differences may seem minor, but they are not insignificant. The addition to the Nicene Creed is a perfect example. I have asked my Priest about Nibur Id, and he has told me that this man is very confused. Please know that The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is the true apostolic Orthodox Church of Ethiopia.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

Bergit Tenestwal!
XB!

Thank you Salpy and Gebre Menfes Kidus!

I have grown to love the Nicene creed to the point that I want to erect a temple and call it "Church of the Holy Nicene Creed". The other poster actually got me worried that the Ethiopian Church were messing around with the most significant piece of writing to come out of the first holy councils of the Church.  Cheesy I should have known better, nothing I have previously read about the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church should have allowed me to get worried.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:01:12 PM »

Nice? Hardly.

minasoliman, I believe you are being polite because you are afraid to offend any Ethiopian posters. Don't make apologies for for a creed that is not Orthodox, ever.  police

Adding to the creed is always serious business. It is what keeps Christians apart and tear the Church into schisms.

I honestly do not think that the Ethiopian Church uses this creed. Could someone please tell me that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church uses the unchanged Nicene creed. I will sleep so much better then.  Smiley

Polite?  Wow...you haven't even seen the recent posts I made have you?

I'm only expressing my opinion.  Based on just reading that Creed, I saw nothing doctrinally wrong with it.  I didn't even click on the website for all I care.  But whatever the "Church of Ethiopia" is, I only judged the wording of the Creed, which sounded Orthodox to me even if it was not the same wording of the original Nicene Creed.  It seems to me something that can be used to help understand the Nicene Creed for people reading the Creed the first time.  Nothing really was "added" like the Filioque, only clarified.  It's a meditation on the Nicene Creed if anything.

My gosh, stop being so Pharisaical.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:01:21 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Enoch

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »

Bergit Tenestwal!
XB!

I have grown to love the Nicene creed to the point that I want to erect a temple and call it "Church of the Holy Nicene Creed". The other poster actually got me worried that the Ethiopian Church were messing around with the most significant piece of writing to come out of the first holy councils of the Church.  Cheesy I should have known better, nothing I have previously read about the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church should have allowed me to get worried.

Dear Robert,  I hope this is not gona wake you up all night...

THE TESTIMONIAL OF THE ETHIOPIANS ON THE HOLY COVENANT

We Ethiopians believe in our Ethiopianhood of the Holy Covenant that embodied and conserved the Seven Divine Covenants the Lord granted to humanity.
Our God, in the Era of the Genesis, founded the Ethiopian Entity on the Covenant of the Soul, through the Matrimony of Adam and Eve.
Then in the Patriarchal period, He raised it, through Noah's Rainbow, Melchizedek's Offering and Abraham's Circumcision, to the next stage of its eschatological growth.
In the transitional Era of the Old Testament, He structured it, through Mose's Ark and David's Throne, to the finishing level that caused to bring about, under the Covenant of the Law, the genealogical union of the Ethiopian Queen Makeda and the Israelite King Solomon.
Finally, in the Era of the Everlasting Life, He brought it to completion with the Sacrificial Body and Blood of His Son Jesus Christ, born of the Virgin Mary, who is the pure seed descended from that preordained genealogical union, thus culminating the Ethiopian Entity with the Eternal Crown of the Covenant of the Holy Spirit.
We believe that Ethiopia, as such, represents the Kingdom of God on Earth constituting the three Houses of the People, of the Administration and of the Priesthood achieved through such progressive development in Her uninterrupted existence under the protection and guidance of the Holy Covenant.
We believe that Jesus Christ who is the Son of God and in the name of whom we are called Christians and who is born of the seed that sprung from Shem, Ham and Japhet, in the Ethiopian image of nationhood, ordination and kingship of His precursor, Melchizedek, is our Eternal Priest and King.
We believe that the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary, who is the True Mother of the Living and the Eternal Ark of the Covenant, is the personification of Ethiopia, our Queen in Heavens and on Earth and in whose name we are called Ethiopians.
We believe that the tri-coloured banner of Green, Yellow and Red, symbolizing the sign of the Rainbow, is our Eternal National Flag entrusted to us by God through Noah.
We believe that the Divine Word of “the Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah” is ascribed to Jesus Christ who is the ultimate manifestation of the Holy Covenant, and the Prophetic Word of “Ethiopia Stretches out Her Hands to God” is attributed to the Virgin Mary, and that both Words of the Holy Spirit are our Eternal Divine Seal we received from Our God as a Nation of The Holy Covenant.
We believe that our spiritual birth from God, through the Grace of the Holy Baptism of The Covenant, entitled us to be heirs and servants of the Kingdom of God.
We believe that, in order for us to maintain such Divine birthright privilege, to confirm our inheritance of God's Kingdom and to continue rendering our pertinent services, it is our constant commitment to absolve our sins through incessant repentance and partake the Holy Communion of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
We believe that the genuine manifestation and the distinctive identification of our Faith in the Ethiopianhood of The Holy Covenant are best demonstrated by the typical Ethiopian deed that we perform in consideration and reflection of our love for both Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary.
We believe that it is our God who, in accordance with His Word of The Covenant, inscribed in our hearts, taught us and made us to preserve in our lives this Ethiopianhood, which is the embodiment of the Holy Covenant. Amen.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:35:23 AM »

Enoch,

Could you give a link to where you got the above post from?  I get the feeling it is not from a website from the mainstream Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  I just want a link so we know where you are coming from on this.  Thanks.   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:36:07 AM by Salpy » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:46:48 AM »

Bergit Tenestwal!
XB!

We Ethiopians believe in our Ethiopianhood of the Holy Covenant that embodied and conserved the Seven Divine Covenants the Lord granted to humanity.
Our God, in the Era of the Genesis, founded the Ethiopian Entity on the Covenant of the Soul, through the Matrimony of Adam and Eve.
Then in the Patriarchal period, He raised it, through Noah's Rainbow, Melchizedek's Offering and Abraham's Circumcision, to the next stage of its eschatological growth.
In the transitional Era of the Old Testament, He structured it, through Mose's Ark and David's Throne, to the finishing level that caused to bring about, under the Covenant of the Law, the genealogical union of the Ethiopian Queen Makeda and the Israelite King Solomon.
Finally, in the Era of the Everlasting Life, He brought it to completion with the Sacrificial Body and Blood of His Son Jesus Christ, born of the Virgin Mary, who is the pure seed descended from that preordained genealogical union, thus culminating the Ethiopian Entity with the Eternal Crown of the Covenant of the Holy Spirit.
We believe that Ethiopia, as such, represents the Kingdom of God on Earth constituting the three Houses of the People, of the Administration and of the Priesthood achieved through such progressive development in Her uninterrupted existence under the protection and guidance of the Holy Covenant.
We believe that Jesus Christ who is the Son of God and in the name of whom we are called Christians and who is born of the seed that sprung from Shem, Ham and Japhet, in the Ethiopian image of nationhood, ordination and kingship of His precursor, Melchizedek, is our Eternal Priest and King.
We believe that the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary, who is the True Mother of the Living and the Eternal Ark of the Covenant, is the personification of Ethiopia, our Queen in Heavens and on Earth and in whose name we are called Ethiopians.
We believe that the tri-coloured banner of Green, Yellow and Red, symbolizing the sign of the Rainbow, is our Eternal National Flag entrusted to us by God through Noah.
We believe that the Divine Word of “the Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah” is ascribed to Jesus Christ who is the ultimate manifestation of the Holy Covenant, and the Prophetic Word of “Ethiopia Stretches out Her Hands to God” is attributed to the Virgin Mary, and that both Words of the Holy Spirit are our Eternal Divine Seal we received from Our God as a Nation of The Holy Covenant.
We believe that our spiritual birth from God, through the Grace of the Holy Baptism of The Covenant, entitled us to be heirs and servants of the Kingdom of God.
We believe that, in order for us to maintain such Divine birthright privilege, to confirm our inheritance of God's Kingdom and to continue rendering our pertinent services, it is our constant commitment to absolve our sins through incessant repentance and partake the Holy Communion of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
We believe that the genuine manifestation and the distinctive identification of our Faith in the Ethiopianhood of The Holy Covenant are best demonstrated by the typical Ethiopian deed that we perform in consideration and reflection of our love for both Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary.
We believe that it is our God who, in accordance with His Word of The Covenant, inscribed in our hearts, taught us and made us to preserve in our lives this Ethiopianhood, which is the embodiment of the Holy Covenant. Amen.

With respect brother Enoch, why "The Church of Ethiopia" when the apostolic Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church traces its roots back to the Garden of Eden? There is only One Church, and it is the Orthodox Church. Please explain why you promote this "Church of Ethiopia" when Ethiopia already has a Church- the Orthodox Tewahedo Church?

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Enoch

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »

Bergit Tenestwal!
XB!

I have grown to love the Nicene creed to the point that I want to erect a temple and call it "Church of the Holy Nicene Creed". The other poster actually got me worried that the Ethiopian Church were messing around with the most significant piece of writing to come out of the first holy councils of the Church.  Cheesy I should have known better, nothing I have previously read about the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church should have allowed me to get worried.

Dear Robert,  I hope this is not gona wake you up all night...

With respect brother Enoch, why "The Church of Ethiopia" when the apostolic Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church traces its roots back to the Garden of Eden? There is only One Church, and it is the Orthodox Church. Please explain why you promote this "Church of Ethiopia" when Ethiopia already has a Church- the Orthodox Tewahedo Church?

Selam

If you believe that The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church traces its roots back to Garden of Eden, why do you against The Ethiopian Creed?  If you are point out something be specific. After that we will understand each other.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:01:59 AM by Enoch » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 02:10:27 AM »

Bergit Tenestwal!
XB!

I have grown to love the Nicene creed to the point that I want to erect a temple and call it "Church of the Holy Nicene Creed". The other poster actually got me worried that the Ethiopian Church were messing around with the most significant piece of writing to come out of the first holy councils of the Church.  Cheesy I should have known better, nothing I have previously read about the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church should have allowed me to get worried.

Dear Robert,  I hope this is not gona wake you up all night...

Selam

If you believe that The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church traces its roots back to Garden of Eden, why do you against The Ethiopian Creed?  If you are point out something be specific. After that we will understand each other.  

I'm not against the Ethiopian Creed. I'm just wondering why the need for another creed and another church, when the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and her Creed have already been firmly established?

Selam

Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 02:16:32 AM »

We Ethiopians believe in our Ethiopianhood... <shortened by Robert>

Thanks for your kind consideration Enoch. In the future I would urge you to be more clear from the beginning that you are not posting material that is originating from the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.
Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 02:35:30 AM »

Polite?  Wow...you haven't even seen the recent posts I made have you?

I'm only expressing my opinion.  Based on just reading that Creed, I saw nothing doctrinally wrong with it.  I didn't even click on the website for all I care.  But whatever the "Church of Ethiopia" is, I only judged the wording of the Creed, which sounded Orthodox to me even if it was not the same wording of the original Nicene Creed.  It seems to me something that can be used to help understand the Nicene Creed for people reading the Creed the first time.  Nothing really was "added" like the Filioque, only clarified.  It's a meditation on the Nicene Creed if anything.

No. I will not be silent when it comes to changing any word in the creed. I hope you can accept that.  Smiley

In all else I agree with you. The edited creed posted by Enoch might sound foreign but there are no obvious heresies in it that I can spot at the moment. Great tomes could be written, and indeed should be written, about each sentence in the creed, but it should not be that any such thought on the creed is formulated and presented as if it is the creed, or could be mistaken as such by the uninformed.

The text originally posted by Enoch is titled "THE ETHIOPIAN CREED". I don't think I would have reacted negatively at all if it had been titled "Ethiopian Meditation on the Nicene Creed" or anything similar.

"THE ETHIOPIAN CREED" can be found here: http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Creed%20of%20the%20Ethiopians%20in%20English.pdf

I hope there is no feeling of mistrust between us minasoliman. Forgive me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:40:51 AM by Robert W » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »

Polite?  Wow...you haven't even seen the recent posts I made have you?

I'm only expressing my opinion.  Based on just reading that Creed, I saw nothing doctrinally wrong with it.  I didn't even click on the website for all I care.  But whatever the "Church of Ethiopia" is, I only judged the wording of the Creed, which sounded Orthodox to me even if it was not the same wording of the original Nicene Creed.  It seems to me something that can be used to help understand the Nicene Creed for people reading the Creed the first time.  Nothing really was "added" like the Filioque, only clarified.  It's a meditation on the Nicene Creed if anything.

No. I will not be silent when it comes to changing any word in the creed. I hope you can accept that.  Smiley

In all else I agree with you. The edited creed posted by Enoch might sound foreign but there are no obvious heresies in it that I can spot at the moment. Great tomes could be written, and indeed should be written, about each sentence in the creed, but it should not be that any such thought on the creed is formulated and presented as if it is the creed, or could be mistaken as such by the uninformed.

The text originally posted by Enoch is titled "THE ETHIOPIAN CREED". I don't think I would have reacted negatively at all if it had been titled "Ethiopian Meditation on the Nicene Creed" or anything similar.

"THE ETHIOPIAN CREED" can be found here: http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Creed%20of%20the%20Ethiopians%20in%20English.pdf

I hope there is no feeling of mistrust between us minasoliman. Forgive me.

I don't mistrust you.  I only become very reactive when people misjudge me.  Forgive me if I have offended you as well.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »

We believe that Ethiopia, as such, represents the Kingdom of God on Earth

Sure sounds like heresy to me.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »

I think Ethiopia is a sacred land, but I agree that it might be heretical to say that it represents the Kingdom of God on earth. As I understand, the kingdom of God is present on earth during the Divine Liturgy.

Selam

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »

I think Ethiopia is a sacred land, but I agree that it might be heretical to say that it represents the Kingdom of God on earth. As I understand, the kingdom of God is present on earth during the Divine Liturgy.

Selam

Yes. And also I think it is proper to refer to the Church as a whole (beyond its particular Ethiopian branch) as the Kingdom of God.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As far as I know, this is the only other Creed used in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church:

We believe in one God, maker of all creation. Father of our Lord and our
God and our Savior Jesus Christ, because his nature is unsearchable.
As we have before declared, he is without beginning and without end, but
He is ever living, and He has light which is never extinguished and He can
never be approached.
He is not two or three and no addition can be made to Him; but He is only
one, living for ever, because He is not hidden that He cannot be known, but
we know Him perfectly through the law and the prophets, that He is almighty
and has authority over all the creation.
One God, Father of our Lord and our Savior Jesus Christ, who was begotten
before the creation of the world, the only-begotten Son, coequal with Him,
creator of all the hosts, the principalities and the dominions;
Who in the last days was pleased to become man, and took flesh from our
Lady Mary, the holy Virgin, without the seed of man, and grew like men yet
without sin or evil; neither was guile found in his mouth.
Then He suffered, died in the flesh, rose from the dead on the third day,
ascended unto heaven to the Father who sent Him, sat down at the right hand
of Power, sent to us the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, who proceedeth from the
Father, and saved all the world, and who is co-eternal with the Father and the
Son.
We say further that all the Creatures of God are good and there is nothing
to be rejected, and the spirit, the life of the body, is pure and holy in all.
And we say that marriage is pure, and childbirth is undefiled, because
God created Adam and Eve to multiply. We understand further that there is in
our body a soul which is immortal and does not perish with the body.
We repudiate all the works of heretics and all schisms and transgression
of the law, because they are for us impure.
We also believe in the resurrection of the dead, the righteous and sinners;
and in the day of judgement, when every one will be recompensed according
to his deeds.
We also believe that Christ is not in the least degree inferior because of
His incarnation, but He is God, the Word who truly became man, and
reconciled mankind to God being the High-priest of the Father.
Henceforth let us not be circumcised like the Jews. We know that he
who had to fulfill the law and the prophets has already come.
To Him, for those coming all people looked forward. Jesus Christ, who
is descended from Judah, from the root of Jesse, whose government is upon
his shoulder: to Him be glory, thanksgiving, greatness, blessing, praise,
song, both now and ever and world without end. Amen

“Amakniyou of the Apostles” from Liturgy Book of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church English translation 2005

The Amakniyou of the Apostles is said just before of the Prayer of the Faith on certain occasions depending on the calendar circumstances of the service.This file posted on the OP website http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Creed%20of%20the%20Ethiopians%20in%20English.pdf is not in any way the Prayer of the Faith (Nicene Creed) which is said at each Divine Liturgy of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.  It is similar, but there are some additions that are not of the Church.  Whether it is a sincere mistranslation mistake due to poetic license or a fraud and manipulation I can't tell.  With Amharic/Ge'ez there is a need for a lot of poetic license with translations, the literal and transliterations do not make grammatical sense and do not easily convey the ideas behind the implicit meanings of the originals.  However, just giving a peripheral glance at that website makes me suspect that it is indeed an intentional and manipulative mistake.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »

If it is being used by the Ethiopian Church, then it's a nice extended version of the Nicene creed.

http://ethkogserv.org/faith/Creed%20of%20the%20Ethiopians%20in%20English.pdf -- this creed is not of the EOTC, but there does exist an Ethiopian Orthodox paraphrese of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed (cf.: http://eotc.faithweb.com/orth.html -- "Our Church has received and teaches the faith which was formulated at Nicaea. In the Creed or in the name of Nicaea she makes known her faith after this fashion . . ."). It is not used during the Divine Liturgy though (the classical N-C Creed is used most of the times, and occasionally -- the Amakniyou of the Apostles).
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »

As far as I know, this is the only other Creed used in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church . . .

BTW, there also exists an Ethiopian Orthodox Creed of Emperor Claudius (http://goo.gl/8WEtz).
Enoch

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »

For those of you don't know about about Ethiopia...

Highlights on the Mystery of Ethiopia and Ethiopianness

Ethiopianness / Ethiopiawinnet: When Myth Becomes Reality

Ask: Could Ethiopia serve as the birthplace of a new theological age? The location where
the physical and spiritual meet? The mystical beliefs of Ethiopiawinnet (Ethiopian Identity),
described as Ethiopianness by non-Ethiopians, are widely unheard of and misunderstood.
Now revived through science, this evolving legend could change the way hundreds of
millions of people perceive this ancient African country and revive their faith in God.

Ethiopia: The Garden of Eden

Ethiopia is mentioned as being near or surrounding the Garden of Eden in Genesis 2:13.
Since 1974 Paleontologists have excavated six million years of life and conclude that
Ethiopia is the scientific location of human origin, true Garden of Eden.

Ethiopia: Sanctuary to Moses

The Bible asserts in Exodus 2:16-22 and Numbers 12:1, and Hebrew legend suggests that
Moses first fled to Ethiopia where he found his Ethiopian wife. Moses would free the
Israelites from slavery but would never go onto Canaan because of a disagreement between
him and the high priests with regard to his becoming an Ethiopian.

Ethiopia: The purest Jews of All

Ethiopians, from the beginning of their existence, worshipped the Biblical God. Then,
consistent with the Divine Will and Plan, they adapted and practiced Judaism easily and
conveniently after the advent of the Ark of the Covenant into their land for their custody.
As such, they continued to identify themselves as Bete-Israel or the True Israelites. They
confirmed their stature when the majority of the population accepted Christianity, as
related in Acts 8:26-39. The minority who chose to remain attached to Judaism came to be
known as "Felashas", referred to by the West as "Black Jews of Ethiopia".

Isolated from the rest of the community, this faction turned out to be the most unique of
all the world's Jewry. They avoided slavery and, around the tenth century A.D., surprisingly
and violently usurped power and ruled the country -the second largest Jewish empire
outside of Jerusalem- for a period of 40 years headed by a queen known popularly in
Ethiopia by the name of "Gudith". Because they retained practices other world Jewry
abandoned, it is compelling to give merit to the claim that they may be the purest of all
Jews.

Ethiopia: Location of the Ten Commandments

According to Ethiopian tradition, Menelik, son of King Solomon and Queen Makeda
(Queen of Sheba) together with the first-born sons and daughters of the Israelites, under
the will and guidance of God, brought the Ark of the Covenant containing the Ten
Commandments to Ethiopia where it rested and worshipped, initially on an island of Lake
Tana, the source of the Blue Nile and finally in Axum.

Ethiopia: The Solomonic Dynasty

Although some foreigners dispute, it is only in Ethiopia where its kings and queens
officially and historically trace their origin to the Old Testament through the courtship of
King Solomon and Queen Makkeda (Queen of Sheba), shifting the Zion from Canaan to
Ethiopia, and continuing the seed of King David until the birth of Jesus Christ from the
Virgin Mary.
This was the crucial turning point in the Divine Plan. For, the entitlement and legitimacy
of succession for the eligible Ethiopian to be anointed for the Throne of David as Elect of
God switched from the dynastic line of physical birth to that of the spiritual birth from
God through the Christian Sacrament of Baptism, as clearly stipulated in John 1:12-13.

Ethiopia: Christianity

Ethiopian Christianity is considered the oldest in the world, observing many Jewish
practices other Christians abandoned, and embracing a deep belief in spiritualism,
regarded by some as the most authentic form of Christianity to exist.

Ethiopia: Refuge of the Muslims

The earliest Muslims escaped persecution in Arabia coming to Ethiopia where the Axumite
Christian Atsie (Elect of God to lead the people, the state and Church) provided them with
sanctuary to practice their Islamic beliefs. Mohammad hailed the Ethiopians as the most
tolerant, and warned his followers never to bring harm against these people.

Many pre-Islamic practices of the Muslims are believed to have actually come out of
Ethiopia through the Sabeans (Yemenites and tribes inhabiting the coastal region of the
Arabian peninsula on the Red Sea side).

Ethiopia: Divinely protected

Located in one of the most hostile regions in human history, Ethiopia maintains an
honourable record repelling Egyptian, Persian, Roman, Arabian, Turkish and European
invasions and colonizations in its legendary 7502 years of history. Ethiopians believe
Ethiopia is divinely protected.

Ethiopia: The curse against those who intend to bring harm upon her

The Jewish prophet Moses and that of the Muslims Mohammad warned people against
bringing harm upon the Ethiopians. When Moses' sister condemned Moses for marrying
an Ethiopian wife, she was struck with leprosy. Bad luck has fallen on many of Ethiopia's
past invaders.

Ethiopia: Judges of Humanity

Jesus Christ said in Matthew 12:24 and Luke 11:31 that it would be Queen of Sheba and
her Lambs, the representatives of Ethiopia, that would judge humanity. In Revelations 5:1-
6 it describes that non-Ethiopians, would overlook the true nation, the Lion of Judah, and
its people, the great descendents of David, who would be worthy and became the Lambs.
But it details that when those non-Ethiopians finally see this truth, this nation would
appear “half dead,” brought on by the sin of man. Are the peoples of the world witnessing
this in today's Ethiopia?

Ethiopia: The Truth Presents itself?

The Day is near when the World Powers and the International Community would say: In
the name of Ethiopianness or Ethiopiawinnet, let us today embrace Ethiopia as the true
Garden of Eden, location of the Tree of Life, where original sin occurred, and where we
must go to seek redemption for our sins and those of our ancestors. Let us unite all nations
of the Earth and defeat the demonic forces plaguing the Garden and guarantee our names
in the Book of Life by fighting against the criminality and corruption in Ethiopia and
restore the reign of the Kingdom of God to these humble people.

This is a brief reflection of a person by the name of Mr. Wayne.

Robert W
Elder

Love is no feeling

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:19 PM »

For those of you don't know about about Ethiopia...

Highlights on the Mystery of Ethiopia and Ethiopianness

Ethiopianness / Ethiopiawinnet: When Myth Becomes Reality

Ask: Could Ethiopia serve as the birthplace of a new theological age? The location where
the physical and spiritual meet? ...tl;dr...
The physical and the spiritual (even the Divine) meet all over the world during each Divine Liturgy.

New theology? No thanks. Please go sell your copy-paste to someone else soon.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:03 PM »

Enoch,

Again, if you are copying and pasting the passages in replies 9 and 23, you need to provide a direct link to the source.  By that, I mean not just a website, but the actual page from the website where the passage comes from.  If you are typing something from a book, I need a proper citation.  This is not just for the sake of intellectual honesty.  Seeing the source helps the reader determine the Orthodoxy and credibility of the material. 

I'm giving you until Saturday to come up with the requested sources.  That should be more than enough time.  I know you can't go in and modify the actual posts, so you can provide the sources in a separate post. 

Also, I am asking that you provide links to anything you copy like that in the future. 

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.   Smiley

Salpy

Enoch

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 08:59:23 PM »

Enoch,

Again, if you are copying and pasting the passages in replies 9 and 23, you need to provide a direct link to the source.  By that, I mean not just a website, but the actual page from the website where the passage comes from.  If you are typing something from a book, I need a proper citation.  This is not just for the sake of intellectual honesty.  Seeing the source helps the reader determine the Orthodoxy and credibility of the material. 

I'm giving you until Saturday to come up with the requested sources.  That should be more than enough time.  I know you can't go in and modify the actual posts, so you can provide the sources in a separate post. 

Also, I am asking that you provide links to anything you copy like that in the future. 

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.   Smiley

Salpy

You will find the links under the English version

http://www.ethkogserv.org/faith_.htm

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »

I'm not against the Ethiopian Creed. I'm just wondering why the need for another creed and another church, when the Ethiopian Orthodox Church and her Creed have already been firmly established?

Selam

Brother Enoch, can you please answer my question?

Selam

Enoch

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »

Selam

Brother Enoch, can you please answer my question?

Selam

Dear Gebre Menfes Kidus,

Your question is answered on that website.  If you go check out the question and answer,  you will find you answer and more.

To answer your question as to whether our doctrine is different from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, there is no difference in this respect. There is complete unanimity in the essence and fundamental nature of our doctrine that is nationally termed in Ethiopic as "Tewah'do". On our part, we believe that this doctrine, based on and originated from the prehistoric religious faith of Adam and Eve, is the ripe sweet fruit of the Holy Covenant that developed, to the eschatological stage of the Prophecies and the Law of the Old Testament and finally to that of Christianity of the New Testament.

However, we have differences in the naming, identity and substance of this doctrine. This truth is explicitly stated in the Prayer of our Creed and the Testimonial to our Holy Covenant, as well as in the Glorification of Our Lord and in the Exaltation of Our Holy Mother, all of which are posted on our web site for easy reference.

According to our belief, the Church is One and only One; and It is called The Church of Ethiopia. There cannot be any Church in Ethiopia , other than The Church of Ethiopia. This Church of ours was established by God Himself in the beginning of time with Creation and in the hearts of Adam and Eve, finally to come to consummation by the incarnation of Our Lord Jesus Christ in the womb of The Virgin Mary, to be consolidated successively by His Crucifixion, Death, Resurrection and Ascension, and ultimately to be crowned by the Overwhelming and Transcendent Decent of The Holy Spirit upon and into the World.

The one that is called and to which you referred to as the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, identifies itself, not as an Ethiopian, but as an Egyptian or Coptic Church, because of its preference to use the designation of "Orthodox", implying that it is not an Ethiopian Church, but a Coptic, or Egyptian Church, who claim to be the pioneers to christianize Ethiopians and the founders of the Ethiopian Church in the 4th century, thus deliberately and maliciously distorting the Divine Truth that the Ethiopian Church preceded all the rest of the ecumenical churches, including the Egyptian one by more than 4000 years.

This detrimental attempt of the Egyptians could be paralleled with the works of other foreign churches who came lately and operate in Ethiopia , like the Catholic Church in Ethiopia , the Evangelical Church in Ethiopia , etc. and who purposefully and illegally call themselves as the Ethiopian Catholic Church, the Ethiopian Evangelical Church , etc.

Nibure-Id Ermias Kebbede WoldeYesus,

EKoGS servant

http://www.ethkogserv.org/QandA%20Archive%20I%20upto%20Mesayneh.htm

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 12:14:02 AM »

To answer your question as to whether our doctrine is different from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, there is no difference in this respect. There is complete unanimity in the essence and fundamental nature of our doctrine that is nationally termed in Ethiopic as "Tewah'do". On our part, we believe that this doctrine, based on and originated from the prehistoric religious faith of Adam and Eve, is the ripe sweet fruit of the Holy Covenant that developed, to the eschatological stage of the Prophecies and the Law of the Old Testament and finally to that of Christianity of the New Testament.

However, we have differences in the naming, identity and substance of this doctrine. This truth is explicitly stated in the Prayer of our Creed and the Testimonial to our Holy Covenant, as well as in the Glorification of Our Lord and in the Exaltation of Our Holy Mother, all of which are posted on our web site for easy reference.
Ok, so you just contradicted yourself. You said you hold the same doctrine. Then you said there were differences. Why not join the well established EOTC in Ethiopia???
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The one that is called and to which you referred to as the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, identifies itself, not as an Ethiopian, but as an Egyptian or Coptic Church, because of its preference to use the designation of "Orthodox", implying that it is not an Ethiopian Church, but a Coptic, or Egyptian Church, who claim to be the pioneers to christianize Ethiopians and the founders of the Ethiopian Church in the 4th century, thus deliberately and maliciously distorting the Divine Truth that the Ethiopian Church preceded all the rest of the ecumenical churches, including the Egyptian one by more than 4000 years.

This detrimental attempt of the Egyptians could be paralleled with the works of other foreign churches who came lately and operate in Ethiopia , like the Catholic Church in Ethiopia , the Evangelical Church in Ethiopia , etc. and who purposefully and illegally call themselves as the Ethiopian Catholic Church, the Ethiopian Evangelical Church , etc.

No disrespect my brother, but that is literally a silly contortion of the facts of history.  The Ethiopians were not colonialized by Egyptian Christianity, Lord Have His Mercy the Egyptian Bishops sent to Ethiopia for fifteen centuries sometimes never did anything more then ceremoniously anoint and appoint local Ethiopian bishops, priests, monks, and deacons.  Some Egyptian Bishops were fascinatingly involved in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, others were largely titular and figureheads, sent in the true and sincere faith of Apostolic succession.  Our apostolic legitimacy and spiritual capacity has been interwoven and passed down by the laying of hands for centuries, but the Egyptians have by no means been colonial.  Quite the contrary, the Ethiopians and the Itchege of Debre Libanos have always maintained a large degree of autonomy in the day to day matters of theology and polity that was the Church's responsibility in feudal, theocratic, Imperial Ethiopia. Yes, the politics of Egypt have had their sway in Ethiopian affairs and much treasure and tribute has been sent to coffers of both the Copts and the Arabs in order to maintain this continuity of Alexandrian bishops in Ethiopia, but it has long time paid mutual dividends, and further, it is delight of spiritual cohesion and unison, one which is unique amongst inter-jurisdictional Orthodoxy.  Very rarely have two jurisdictions maintain such a deep interconnection across almost all of Christian history, and even to this day the Ethio-Alexandrian relationship is very important.  Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is not  a Coptic Church, that has always been a British misinterpretation, and it has wrongfully entered the Western vocabulary.  Ethiopian Orthodox is a uniquely Ethiopian Orthodox Christian tradition, with indigenous Ethiopian cultural heritage including language, writings, theology, music, calendar, saints, Christology, church architecture, and rituals, that no other Orthodox share, how could it be said then that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is not Ethiopian? That is some chip on your shoulder there brother, ideology has distorted your perception of the facts and that is a shame..

The Copts were not the Portuguese by a long shot, and it is blatantly wrong for you to derisively make such a historically inaccurate assessment.. Further, Ethiopians are sincerely and thoroughly Orthodox, and it is not a foreign Orthodoxy, it is indigenous, and you know it too Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:45:50 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »

No disrespect my brother, but that is literally a silly contortion of the facts of history.  The Ethiopians were not colonialized by Egyptian Christianity, Lord Have His Mercy the Egyptian Bishops sent to Ethiopia for fifteen centuries sometimes never did anything more then ceremoniously anoint and appoint local Ethiopian bishops, priests, monks, and deacons.  Some Egyptian Bishops were fascinatingly involved in the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, others were largely titular and figureheads, sent in the true and sincere faith of Apostolic succession.  Our apostolic legitimacy and spiritual capacity has been interwoven and passed down by the laying of hands for centuries, but the Egyptians have by no means been colonial.  Quite the contrary, the Ethiopians and the Itchege of Debre Libanos have always maintained a large degree of autonomy in the day to day matters of theology and polity that was the Church's responsibility in feudal, theocratic, Imperial Ethiopia. Yes, the politics of Egypt have had their sway in Ethiopian affairs and much treasure and tribute has been sent to coffers of both the Copts and the Arabs in order to maintain this continuity of Alexandrian bishops in Ethiopia, but it has long time paid mutual dividends, and further, it is delight of spiritual cohesion and unison, one which is unique amongst inter-jurisdictional Orthodoxy.  Very rarely have two jurisdictions maintain such a deep interconnection across almost all of Christian history, and even to this day the Ethio-Alexandrian relationship is very important.  Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is not  a Coptic Church, that has always been a British misinterpretation, and it has wrongfully entered the Western vocabulary.  Ethiopian Orthodox is a uniquely Ethiopian Orthodox Christian tradition, with indigenous Ethiopian cultural heritage including language, writings, theology, music, calendar, saints, Christology, church architecture, and rituals, that no other Orthodox share, how could it be said then that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is not Ethiopian? That is some chip on your shoulder there brother, ideology has distorted your perception of the facts and that is a shame..

The Copts were not the Portuguese by a long shot, and it is blatantly wrong for you to derisively make such a historically inaccurate assessment.. Further, Ethiopians are sincerely and thoroughly Orthodox, and it is not a foreign Orthodoxy, it is indigenous, and you know it too Wink

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Amen! I would also point to Abuna Yesehaq's wonderful book on the EOTC, The Ethiopian Tewahedo Church: An Integrally African Church

Selam

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »

Christ is Risen!
Selam everyone Smiley
I saw this thread a bit too late I think, however in the interest of  using the opportunity to confess the  Faith and adding to my dear brethren in here in setting the records straight, I would like to say  in the strongest terms Enoch is absolutely WRONG! Nor does he come from the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewhaido Church.  The Nicene Creed is what we Orthodox Christians hold on to even unto our last breath, will profess and defend this faith with all that we have.
It's shocking to me to see someone claiming such claims as this person Enoch is doing. I have never before came across such a claim. I am saddened and astonished it even exists and hopes to convince others of its plight?! How preposterous! Enoch I would like to remind you that the Church is the bride of Christ; she is One Holy Apostolic and Universal. The attempt of confining the church to a select group of ethnicity culture language etc is a grave heresy one that is already condemned by the Orthodox Church. The kingdom we serve is not of earthly kingdom, and all men are brothers and children of God. I hope you do not waste your time chasing the wind.

On a personal note here, The triumph of Orthodoxy that is the Nicene Creed is personally dear to me. It's part of the daily prayer of the faithful, and is said in the Liturgy , the depth Its significance however hit me  anew while attending the Divine Liturgy at the Parish I grew up in. it was a Wednesday me and my friend who was studying to be a Deacon  decided we will attend the Liturgy that day. Since it was not a feast day and the service was being held in the afternoon there were very few people that you can see  Smiley attending, no more than 30 if I have to guess. The reading from the book entitled ‘the Faith of the Father's/ Hayimanote Abew/ is always read before the Holy Eucharist is given.  This is a book that holds most of the commentaries of the Church Fathers on matters of the Faith and the declarations of the Ecumenical Councils. That day the particular reader assigned for this, for reasons unknown to me, did not show up neither did he send the book to someone. This realization downed on the servers just as the time to read the book approached and there was suddenly a commotion, who got the book? Who could run to the treasury and get another one? How quickly can one do it?  Until a young boy of about age 8 or 9 stepped to the reading area and started with a sweet childish voice and unrestrained energy children seem to apply when they sing or read he started to cross himself his high pitched sweet voice echoing in the church started the introduction IN the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit One God Amen. Behold the Faith of the Fathers!” and guess what? He recited the Nicene Creed!! It was so unexpected and so right that those of us who saw it were deeply moved. A little boy reminded us that all the Fathers would in that book is already in the Nicene Creed! In fact the Nicene Creed is  the foundation of all they have said in that book preserving the Orthodox Faith. I for one am glad that I did not miss that Liturgy that day!

Now the Church is not new to battling heresies, I am just surprised at the direction this one chose to take. I have nothing more to say except pray. May the Lord protect all the faithful from such wolves that come clocked with sheep's clothing. May the prayers of the Holy Fathers and Mothers defenders of the Orthodox Faith be with us. Amen!
Blessed day Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »

Another beautiful post, Hiwot. From when I was a child, I've wanted to visit Ethiopia and you posts make me want to all the more!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »

Christ is Risen!
Selam everyone Smiley
I saw this thread a bit too late I think, however in the interest of  using the opportunity to confess the  Faith and adding to my dear brethren in here in setting the records straight, I would like to say  in the strongest terms Enoch is absolutely WRONG! Nor does he come from the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewhaido Church.  The Nicene Creed is what we Orthodox Christians hold on to even unto our last breath, will profess and defend this faith with all that we have.
It's shocking to me to see someone claiming such claims as this person Enoch is doing. I have never before came across such a claim. I am saddened and astonished it even exists and hopes to convince others of its plight?! How preposterous! Enoch I would like to remind you that the Church is the bride of Christ; she is One Holy Apostolic and Universal. The attempt of confining the church to a select group of ethnicity culture language etc is a grave heresy one that is already condemned by the Orthodox Church. The kingdom we serve is not of earthly kingdom, and all men are brothers and children of God. I hope you do not waste your time chasing the wind.

On a personal note here, The triumph of Orthodoxy that is the Nicene Creed is personally dear to me. It's part of the daily prayer of the faithful, and is said in the Liturgy , the depth Its significance however hit me  anew while attending the Divine Liturgy at the Parish I grew up in. it was a Wednesday me and my friend who was studying to be a Deacon  decided we will attend the Liturgy that day. Since it was not a feast day and the service was being held in the afternoon there were very few people that you can see  Smiley attending, no more than 30 if I have to guess. The reading from the book entitled ‘the Faith of the Father's/ Hayimanote Abew/ is always read before the Holy Eucharist is given.  This is a book that holds most of the commentaries of the Church Fathers on matters of the Faith and the declarations of the Ecumenical Councils. That day the particular reader assigned for this, for reasons unknown to me, did not show up neither did he send the book to someone. This realization downed on the servers just as the time to read the book approached and there was suddenly a commotion, who got the book? Who could run to the treasury and get another one? How quickly can one do it?  Until a young boy of about age 8 or 9 stepped to the reading area and started with a sweet childish voice and unrestrained energy children seem to apply when they sing or read he started to cross himself his high pitched sweet voice echoing in the church started the introduction IN the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit One God Amen. Behold the Faith of the Fathers!” and guess what? He recited the Nicene Creed!! It was so unexpected and so right that those of us who saw it were deeply moved. A little boy reminded us that all the Fathers would in that book is already in the Nicene Creed! In fact the Nicene Creed is  the foundation of all they have said in that book preserving the Orthodox Faith. I for one am glad that I did not miss that Liturgy that day!

Now the Church is not new to battling heresies, I am just surprised at the direction this one chose to take. I have nothing more to say except pray. May the Lord protect all the faithful from such wolves that come clocked with sheep's clothing. May the prayers of the Holy Fathers and Mothers defenders of the Orthodox Faith be with us. Amen!
Blessed day Smiley

Thank you Hiwot! Amen, amen, and amen to everything you have said!

Selam

HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 07:47:42 PM »

Christ is Risen!
Selam everyone Smiley

Blessed day Smiley

The overwhelmingly sincere piety of many of our children within the Tewahedo Church is what keeps me steadily involved despite some of the socio-political drama that is inherent to the circumstances we find ourselves in these days.  It especially why I put some much labor and effort into my parish's Sunday School program because the kids just blow me away each new day they express such delightful Faith.

"What was hidden from the wise and the prudent, now revealed to the babe and the suckling.." the Ethiopians reggae group

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »

Christ is risen!
Selam everyone Smiley
Thank you CoptoGeek, as I too have this wish of pilgrimage to the Holy Land of Egypt, walk where our holy fathers and mothers walked , fought the good fight with holy fasting and tears of repentance, breath the air that is blessed by their unceasing prayers and hope for the shadow of One among them to fall upon me a sinner. Ethiopia and those that will meet you in there will be blessed for the blessing you bring with you my dear. I pray you find what will be edifying for you if the Lord wills it and you get to go there.

Gebre, my dear brother its my honor really Smiley Habte, my dear brother how beautifully said! The Spirit reveals His Glory in the lowly and the humble, the Wisdom of God so contrary to the wisdom of the world! Praise and Glory be to Him! and yes we must persever keep the eyes of our hearts on the One who is Perfect Love. I know what you are talking about when it comes to that dimension of human life, and it is not easy to navigate through all that without losing ones peace, however with prayer and as our Lord advises us by becoming wise as the serepent and meek like the dove we will pass through that fire. He that kept the three youth from the fires of Babylon is still among us if we be willing but imitate them in their faith. keep fighting the good fight my dear, and please keep me in your prayer.

blessed day Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags: Creed Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: