OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:47:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greatest Theologian in your opinion?  (Read 3332 times) Average Rating: 0
Andreas

OC.net

« on: June 05, 2004, 01:49:16 AM »

If the person you believe is the great theologian is not on the list. Just post their name. Smiley

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:53:10 PM »

St. Maximus the Confessor

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 04:03:03 PM »

St Ireneaus of Lyons.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Mercurius

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 04:19:42 PM »

Hard to beat St.Athanasius, really.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 04:31:41 PM »

But....you left off Billy Graham?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 09:22:21 PM »

How does one define a theologian?  I've always been attracted to the writings of Saint Ephrem more than any other Father, but while the others listed above (to my knowledge) wrote "prose", he wrote "poetry".  Does the method of teaching a particular Father utilised matter in this poll and in general?

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 09:41:04 PM »

Speaking of Saint Ephrem, today is his feast day in the Roman Catholic Church.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

Greatest theologian: St. Maximos the Confessor
Best theologian: St. Gregory of Nazianzus
Worst theologian: St. Augustine
Smartest theologian: St. Augustine
Most overrated theologian: St. Athanasius
Most unhelpful theologian: St. Vincent of Lerins
Boringest theologian: St. John of Damascus

Large Marge sent me...
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »

St Ireneaus of Lyons.
I agree, Father.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 02:57:32 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:47:32 PM »

St. Isaac of Syria, hands down.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »

Curmudgeophan the Recluse
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »

Now you're getting it!  Grin

Large Marge sent me...
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »

Ha.  That reminds me that I need to renew my subscription to Monkabee Magazine.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »

Best theologian: St. Gregory of Nazianzus<

Care to explain briefly reasons for these nominations?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:59:21 PM by Alpo » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »

Best theologian: St. Gregory of Nazianzus<

Care to explain briefly reasons for these nominations?

Well, first let me say that I approach the topic fairly casually. I doubt many of us have studied the various theologians through the ages enough to really be able to give even a half-educated guess as to who the "greatest theologian" is. I'm pretty sure not many of us have read most of the works of the theologians who might be possible choices, let alone studied them and the larger context in which they wrote. Heck, I would wager that most people haven't even read all the works of the theologian they claim to be the greatest. So in the end these threads are more like "Who's your favorite saint?" type things. Which I think is great, and these kinds of conversations have been going on since ancient times.

But as for the ones I chose (the ones you quoted, anyway), I chose St. Maximus as the greatest because I think, from what little I've read of/about him, that he took what had been said by the Fathers before him, and elevated things a bit. Leaving Origen out of the picture, he seems to be the closest thing we have to a theological mind the caliber of St. Augustine. I chose St. Gregory the "best" because he's my favorite, and "my favorite theologian" didn't sound as level-headed and objective.  Wink After all, we're keeping up the pretence that this is somewhat serious, right?

St. Augustine was the worst theologian because of some of the mistakes he made, most of which I know nothing about. He was also the smartest from what I can tell. These things generally go together... smart people think they make fewer mistakes, but it's often the opposite: they make more mistakes, if they are truly smart, because their mind is so fertile with thought, so creative, that it goes spinning in 20 different directions. And at least some of those spins are going to end up going down the wrong path. Also, when I say that St. Augustine was the worst I am taking into account how influential he was... as with Origen, what his followers did with his theology does play a part in his reputation.  Let me also say though that pretty much any time St. Augustine is criticized on this forum I defend him, and I do not by any means wish to attack him on this thread.

Of course this gets back to the original point. How much of the theologians so far mentioned in this thread have I read? In most cases not a whole lot. That I can't read Greek/Latin/etc. doesn't help.

Large Marge sent me...
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 05:53:12 PM »

I cannot say if he is the greatest (I am not a theologian) but Father Alexander Schmemann of blessed memory is the one that the most readable, challenging (in a good way) and uplifting of them all.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »

Most overrated infallible theologian: St. Athanasius

Wink

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

St John, the Evangelist and Theologian.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Wink

So you guys also think Popes are infallible?  Shocked

Large Marge sent me...
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »

Wink

hahahaha!

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »

Wink

Anyone, even the Pope, is infallible when speaking the truth. (-Bp. Tikhon of LA, paraphrased from memory).

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »

Anyone, even the Pope, is infallible when speaking the truth. (-Bp. Tikhon of LA, paraphrased from memory).

I suppose that depends on how you define the term infallible, though I don't think it much matters as a theological idea anyway Cool

Large Marge sent me...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:25 PM »

Wink

I'm a vegetarian, except when I eat meat.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »

Was he a cave dwelling, pole sitting recluse?

Seriously, this question reminds me of George W. Bush's answer in the 2000 presidential debates as to his favorite philosopher. His answer was Jesus.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »

I suppose that depends on how you define the term infallible, though I don't think it much matters as a theological idea anyway Cool

How could 'truth' be in error? I seem to recall a President who got in trouble trying to overdefine the term 'is'.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

How could 'truth' be in error? I seem to recall a President who got in trouble trying to overdefine the term 'is'.

If you are defining infallibility according a moment to moment examination of the truthfulness of what is being said, then I would agree with witega. Someone can speak the truth and thus speak infallibly in that moment. However, if you are speaking more generally of the person, and claiming that they are "incapable of error" or some such thing then I would disagree. They are most certainly still capable of error, even if they spoke the truth. That they didn't err in that moment isn't due to some innate gift given to them (even if sitting on a fancy throne), some mystical inability to make an error. So with this second definition only things like the theanthropic body of Christ, not individual humans, could be said to be infallible (though I have issues with that as well)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:58:20 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »

Seriously, this question reminds me of George W. Bush's answer in the 2000 presidential debates as to his favorite philosopher. His answer was Jesus.

He lives in a single-wide mobile home and drinks cheap vodka.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »

Are you confusing him with that Hyperdox fellow?
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »

If you are defining infallibility according a moment to moment examination of the truthfulness of what is being said, then I would agree with witega. Someone can speak the truth and thus speak infallibly in that moment. However, if you are speaking more generally of the person, and claiming that they are "incapable of error" or some such thing then I would disagree. They are most certainly still capable of error, even if they spoke the truth. That they didn't err in that moment isn't due to some innate gift given to them (even if sitting on a fancy throne), some mystical inability to make an error. So with this second definition only things like the theanthropic body of Christ, not individual humans, could be said to be infallible (though I have issues with that as well)

I think that the word 'infallible' is a hot-button word for those of us Christians not in union with the Pope of Rome. (Actually it is a 'hot-button' term for many Roman Catholics as well and a term which the Church of Rome still has great difficulty in providing a consistent, rational explanation of what it means in relation to the 'ex cathedra' pronouncements of any one Pope. Topic for another day...)

I would agree that no one, even the most illustrious of the Doctors and teachers of the Church could be said to be 'infallible' in all matters regarding the Faith upon which he may have opined in life.(Frankly, some of St. John Chrysostom's writings  regarding Jews come to mind as an example.) However, their teachings which serve the basis for the Glorification of any of the great Doctors and teachers of the Faith are inerrant- and  they represent a part of the infallible (i.e. without error) body of collective teachings of our Church. (In other words, not all of the teachings of any particular Saint are necessarily 'correct.' It is hard to get one's hands around this concept, I have been trying for years..... St. Augustine of Hippo and the his role in the Eastern hagiography is but another example.)
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

I love this language phenomenon.

Once you had trailers and double-wides.
Double-wides became so popular that the previously normative word for a non double-wide trailer had to gain a modifier.

I remember when there were tacos.

Then tacos and soft tacos.

Now, soft tacos and hard / crispy / crunchy tacos, if you can find the latter.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

Nope.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 03:48:49 PM »

www.orthograph.me/

Try there.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 04:02:09 PM »

www.orthograph.me/

Try there.

I do believe I've met the man behind that; he's fairly nice.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:28 PM »

My choice of the word stems from the fact that his writings seem to stand at such high regard, practically almost no one questions his theology.  His writings alone seem to suffice at any given issue if found in them.  In fact, almost like the Bible if you think about it.  We also say that the authors of the Bible might have not been infallible in ALL things, but certainly their writings kept in the Bible are infallible.

And plus, I did say "most" infallible...so I'm implying there are degrees of infallibility Wink
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:11:13 PM by minasoliman » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »

Most Influental: St. Athanasius, he developed Theosis and the foundation of the Trinity, hard to beat that.
Most Overrated: St. John Chrysostom, he gave good sermons and had a good message, but wasn't much of a theologian as far as I know.
Most Intelligent: St. Augustine; truly a man of wit and academic intelligence; however, despite his intelligence, he did still make way too many screw-ups. Although, it is fair to say that he corrected many of his former errors later in life in his 'Retractions' book.
Worst: Arius or Thomas Aquinas, do I even need to mention why?
Greatest All-Around: St. Gregory the Theologian, his works touched upon almost every topic in a fair and reasonable way.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »

Yeah

I'm going to need this.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 12:53:28 AM »

Properly understood, a theologian is someone who has seen the uncreated energies of God. Who among these is the greatest? I honestly have no clue. But as far as whose writings I have benefited from the most, it would be a tie between St. John Climacus and Elder Joseph the Hesychast.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:24 AM »

The greatest? What do we mean by greatest? Do we mean most influential? Then St. Augustine, as he is the primary influence on the West...yet he was off on quite a few things. Do we mean the most accurate?

I guess I'll just take it subjectively. I would make the argument that St. John of Damascus stands as the greatest because he put in writing what had been handed down to that point. Rather than relying on himself, he pointed to the theologians who came before him. In many ways, his writings are so full of content that I don't think one should be able to go into any type of ministry without first having read his works (hyperbole intended).

But then there are Sts. Athanasius, Basil the Great, and so many others.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 01:31:07 AM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

He tried to reduce God into a lousy deistic entity that could be entirely interpreted by the mere human mind even though God is much bigger than that and there are many things about him we will never be able to understand with our minds. Thomas Aquinas did not worship God but worshipped a philosophical idol of God inside of his mind.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »

I'm tempted to answer St. Augus...errr...Fr. Seraphim Rose since I learned my basic attitude towars theology and theologians from him. I don't really know or care what he wrote about Creationism or Toll Houses or other controversial topics but I like his simplicity.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

He tried to reduce God into a lousy deistic entity that could be entirely interpreted by the mere human mind even though God is much bigger than that and there are many things about him we will never be able to understand with our minds. Thomas Aquinas did not worship God but worshipped a philosophical idol of God inside of his mind.

Quite the judgmental young man we are.  Thomas Aquinas quit writing his treatise after seeing the uncreated light.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Quite the judgmental young man we are.  Thomas Aquinas quit writing his treatise after seeing the uncreated light.

While I agree about that being judgemental how can you know it was the Uncreated Light? He certainly had some sort of religious experience but what makes you think it was the Uncreated Light in the Orthodox sense?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

I would make the argument that St. John of Damascus stands as the greatest because he put in writing what had been handed down to that point.

I called him boring, but I will admit that I do like some of the passages found in the Exact Exposition..., such as what he says about materality in book one, or the Scriptures in book four. Good times.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:44:17 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »

EO: Fr. Alexander Schmemann
OO: Fr. Matta al Maskeen
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

Whether or not he saw the uncreated light is unconfirmed. However, I guess I was being too judgmental.

KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

Have you read his Summa Theologica?  It is an honest question so please don't read anything into it.  I haven't tackled the Summa.  Maybe I will.

A side question to those of you who know a bit about Thomas Aquinas:  Where should a guy start who isn't ready to take on 3000+ pages?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »

Have you read his Summa Theologica?  It is an honest question so please don't read anything into it.  I haven't tackled the Summa.  Maybe I will.

Yes and no. I read one of those selected-writings from the Summa Theologica books. I think penguin was the publisher. It was back when I was a Protestant going through this apologetics craze. I guess I was being too judgmental, but, it seems like from what I read, Thomas Aquinas was more of a philosopher than an actual theologian.

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2012, 02:40:58 AM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

A side question to those of you who know a bit about Thomas Aquinas:  Where should a guy start who isn't ready to take on 3000+ pages?

Kreeft's "Summa of the Summa," or Kreeft's "An Even Shorter Summa of the Summa."

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 10:38:14 PM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

Kreeft's "Summa of the Summa," or Kreeft's "An Even Shorter Summa of the Summa."

Thank you.  539 pages seems managable.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2012, 01:46:43 AM »

Vladimir Lossky

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »

Quick question how Orthodox is Summa Theologica, even though its written by a Roman Catholic?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »

Yeah

I'm curious as well.

"For by it's immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa conta gentiles, book 1, chapter 14

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »

If the person you believe is the great theologian is not on the list. Just post their name. Smiley

This is how we got our feast day for the three hierarchs.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:57 PM »

Once again, I say St. Isaac of Nineveh.

Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

I don't know enough to provide a clear answer, but does there have to be a greatest?  Couldn't it just be most personally influential?  So far, for me, its Fr. Alexander Schmemman (spelling?).

Proper title added.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:25:33 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2012, 01:16:25 PM »

Wink
It's almost true, though. Has this great Saint ever taught something that was rejected by the Church?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2012, 01:20:03 PM »

Wink
It's almost true, though. Has this great Saint ever taught something that was rejected by the Church?

He rejected Esther from his biblical canon Wink

Large Marge sent me...
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »

Wink

That's true. Did he ever teach any doctrinal errors, however?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:34:02 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »

Wink

That's true. Did he ever teach any theological errors, however?

Erring on biblical canon is not a theological error?  Huh

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »

Wink

Perhaps doctrinal would have been a better word to use. In any case, there are variances in Biblical canons even within the OO Communions and (AFAIK) EO Communions. The book of Enoch is canonical in the Ethiopian Church, but not in the Coptic Church. The Coptic canon is closer to that of RC's, whereas the Armenian canon is more like the Byzantine one.

minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

Wink

No, that's not a theological error.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »

I agree that specific scriptural canons are theologoumena when considered across the entirety of Christianity (and even within Orthodoxies), albeit a very important one that can't be ignored. But I wasn't asked to give a theological or doctrinal or dogmatic or [insert another term] mistake. The question was: "Has this great Saint ever taught something that was rejected by the Church?"  And the answer is yes, his scriptural canon was rejected by all Christian churches that I know of.  angel

Large Marge sent me...
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »

^Haha, good point! Did he ever teach a doctrinal, dogmatic, or theological error, however?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 10:49:49 PM by Severian » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2012, 10:33:43 PM »

^Haha, good point! Did he ever teach a doctrinal, dogmatic, or theological error, however.

It's been a while since I read most of his writings (on CCEL), but I don't recall reading/hearing about any such error Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »

How reliable is stuff like CCEL?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »

How reliable is stuff like CCEL?

Well, it's a Protestant site with Protestant source material (notes, introductions, etc.), but it's better than nothing. The past few years I've used newadvent's Church Fathers section just because it's easier to navigate and link to, but they don't have nearly as many notes or indexes. Unless you mean the translations, then I'm not sure. I have run into things that I wasn't sure about, like the phrase "semi-orthodox" in an oration of St. Gregory the Theologian.

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »

I ask that question because I wonder if Protestant theology would somehow distort the original text or the translation philosophy is to be more in line with Protestantism.

Nontheless I too think it's a very good site with alot of information.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
minasoliman
Toumarches

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

I agree that specific scriptural canons are theologoumena when considered across the entirety of Christianity (and even within Orthodoxies), albeit a very important one that can't be ignored. But I wasn't asked to give a theological or doctrinal or dogmatic or [insert another term] mistake. The question was: "Has this great Saint ever taught something that was rejected by the Church?"  And the answer is yes, his scriptural canon was rejected by all Christian churches that I know of.  angel
Actually if anything, Esther wasn't rejected completely, but was considered pious reading, recommended by the Fathers for those "wishing to be instructed in the word of godliness".

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »

If I can add nothing to this discussion of St. Athansius' it would be I've had a few atheists confess that his On the Incarnation made them rethink about Christianity. It also made an impression on me when I was inquring into Orthodoxy and made me fall in love with the saint.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »

In which letter was it that he set forth the Biblical canon (excluding Esther)?

EDIT: Thank you Asteriktos.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:21:28 PM by Severian » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 11:18:11 PM »

Letter 39 (from 367)

Large Marge sent me...
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: