OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 02:24:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox visiting Catholic churches - RC POV  (Read 1155 times) Average Rating: 0
LittleFlower

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« on: May 08, 2011, 09:46:02 PM »

Oh! Ok ...But really Not Ok..... Grin

depends who you ask Wink
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:20:36 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:02:37 AM »

All are welcome to attend RC Churches and Orthodox Christians can receive Holy Communion if they are predisposed to do so, but they are still encouraged to obey the discipline of their own Communion on these matters.

http://www.uscatholic.org/glad-you-asked/2008/11/can-a-non-catholic-receive-communion

At a Catholic Mass Orthodox Christians are officially welcome to receive, but they probably shouldn’t, since their own church sometimes levies a sentence of excommunication for those who receive Communion with us. Polish National Catholics and the Assyrians of the East are likewise welcome, and we can receive the sacraments from them if we are gravely ill. So far, that’s it, with some exceptions.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:06:20 AM »

It very Hard For me to accept that your Parents are Eastern Orthodox and you their daughter Happens to be Roman Catholic how does that happen....Something isn't right or doesn't sound right ......Are you sure their not Orthodox in Communion With Rome as some Eastern Catholic Like to Call themselfs....Even the Most Lack's Cradle Eastern Orthodox would more than likely have there Child / Children Baptised Orthodox ,plus there are aunts ,uncles other members of the Orthodox Family that would insist on it......

No, they are Eastern Orthodox, not Catholic, and I am Catholic. I converted to Catholicism.

Did you become an Eastern Rite Catholic, or a Roman Catholic?

Could you be comfortable sharing your faith decision and journey with us here? 

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »

At a Catholic Mass Orthodox Christians are officially welcome to receive, but they probably shouldn’t, since their own church sometimes levies a sentence of excommunication for those who receive Communion with us.

You really should change your faith status to reflect the fact that you are Roman Catholic. It seems dishonest for you to have it like it is.
LittleFlower

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »

Little Flower you did wrong.

I'm sorry I didn't come here for this type of discussion.. I just came to ask a question.

To understand that take Holy water from your Church and Holy Water from your Parents Orthodox Church and put them side by side. Then ask why Roman Catholic Water becomes corupt earlier.

there's no evidence for this.

Maybe because the rite of obtaining Holy water was changed in Roman Catholic Church. Protestantism has renounced Holy water alltogether.

Well I am not Protestant. As for the rite for Holy Water, actually my holy water comes from a parish that celebrates the Tridentine Latin Mass, and it was blessed using the older rite (which is still in place, it hasn't been abrogated. Also, I am technically Eastern Catholic, - where the liturgy and rite is exactly like the Orthodox.

Well next, think that eternal life comes from eating food for eternal life , that is Holy Eucharist John 6:53 6:54 . To Holy Eucharist protestantism looks like renounced too.

But I am very far from a Protesatnt. I'm a traditional/Eastern Catholic.

So, changes had happen in Roman Catholic Church regarding obtaining food for eternal life too. Did you think at consequences? You started gambling with your eternal life and if you would go to Proetstantsim you would almost lose food for etern al life.

huh? I'm sorry but again - I am NOT a Protesatnt. Protestants have split from the Catholic Church. They are separate, they are not like us at all. They don't have the Eucharist, but Catholics do. I receive the Eucharist at my church. And no it hasn't changed, the Eucharist is the same in all Catholic churches: whether traditional, Novus Ordo, or Eastern.

On the time aftre Council of Florence, Roman Catholics eneterd Mount Athos requiring monks tos erve with them. Some did and God destroyed the Church killing the ones inside. More than that, their bodies did not break smelling bad and having hair and nail growing even today. Also when Roman Catholics came to receive Holy Light miracle, This miracle did not come until Roman Catholics have ,left the Church.

You know, I could point to so many Catholic miracles that illustrate the truth of the Catholic Church over Orthodoxy (Our Lady of Good Success, Our Lady of Sourfanieh, Lourdes, Fatima, etc). And you could point to Orthodox ones. That just shows why our faith doesn't rely on miracles but on doctrines.

Appendix C Miracles

A religion is not a University. Is not giving only wisdom , it operates above wisdom and anything that can be discovered by science. So a religion needs to have miracles. So what miracles does the Christianity have? What miracles has Eastern orthodox Christianity has?

I'm sure Orthodoxy has miracles, but Catholicism has tons of miracles also; incorrupt Saints, apparitions, stigmata, Eucharistic miracles, miraculous images, etc etc. Both churches have Saints and miracles.

Every aspect of Jesus life in the New testament is accompanied by miracles:

1. Easter is the victory of death over life. On Easter day, in Eastern orthodox Christianity, Holy Light is descending from God, in front of people, on the exact place where Jesus was resurrected. Holy Light comes in the Church built on his sepulcher. This is similar with the column of Light that lead Jews into the desert.

Not even all Orthodox believe in this miracle, there are those who say it is faked. I'm not saying it's faked, we just don't know. But my point is again, both churches have miracles. ANd since I'm Catholic and not a Protestant, I also have baptism, Confession, the Eucharist, etc.

You have ingnored my previous warning about not advocating the legitimacy of the hetherodox community in this section. I making you warned for a fortnight. If you don't agree with me you can appeal to Fr. George - Michał Kalina.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 01:34:33 PM by LittleFlower » Logged
LittleFlower

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:33:21 PM »

Did you become an Eastern Rite Catholic, or a Roman Catholic?

Could you be comfortable sharing your faith decision and journey with us here? 

I don't think I would be allowed to share my journey here, but I am an Eastern rite Catholic, though I often attend a Roman Catholic church (that does the Tridentine Latin Mass). I converted because I believe in the doctrines.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:35:21 PM »

It very Hard For me to accept that your Parents are Eastern Orthodox and you their daughter Happens to be Roman Catholic how does that happen....Something isn't right or doesn't sound right ......Are you sure their not Orthodox in Communion With Rome as some Eastern Catholic Like to Call themselfs....Even the Most Lack's Cradle Eastern Orthodox would more than likely have there Child / Children Baptised Orthodox ,plus there are aunts ,uncles other members of the Orthodox Family that would insist on it......

No, they are Eastern Orthodox, not Catholic, and I am Catholic. I converted to Catholicism.

Were you baptized Eastern Orthodox?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
LittleFlower

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »

yes, as a child, I wasn't very practicing though
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:44:48 PM »

yes, as a child, I wasn't very practicing though
Did you become RC for theological reasons, or because friends there brought you to Christ?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
LittleFlower

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »

Either you are accidentally or intentionally being misleading, I don't know which.

I'm not misleading anyone. I came here honestly with an honest question. If you don't believe me, alright. Smiley

Either your parents never attend any church, or they only occasionally attend church.

okay so do you want my whole family history.... my family was baptized Eastern Orthodox many years ago.. then we only attended church on Easter, if that. Then, I became Catholic. My family still only attends the Orthodox church rarely. We all went earlier this year, but that was because I was discerning if I should be Catholic or Orthodox and wanted to see what an Orthodox service is like, so I asked my dad to drive me, and he was happy to cause he likes church. But they don't go becaues my dad works on Sundays and often he's very tired. My family did not go to church this Easter, but when I am here, they go, even though I am Catholic. When this happens, I just attend Mass later on that day. I talk to my parents a lot about faith, and I can see my dad reads the Bible a lot and has a lot of interest in it. I'm also praying that they would receive the Sacraments cause I know that is very powerful and would help them a lot. Now sometimes... I'm in a position when Im not going to my home parish. Either we are travelling, or whatever. And then, it's sometimes more convenient for my family to simply come to Mass with me. Other times, my dad has actually asked to come with me - usually to pray in an empty cathedral. I remember reading somewhere that the Orthodox church doesn't like this. I wouldn't want to ask my family to do something that's against the rules of their church, even though as a Catholic, I'm not against them going to Mass with me. So I wanted to check here.
If they are attending the Orthodox church at all, they are attending Orthodox services. You make it sound like you want to make them more spiritual. You don't have the responsibility, capacity or ability to do that.

they attend once a year or none. I already said, I invite them to a Catholic church when it's inconvenient for them to stay outside. when i was trying to decide if I should do this or not, I thought... well it might be more charitable, also - isn't it better to be around the Eucharist then not. But I wanted to check if that's a sin from the EO perspective.

Yes I want my family to be around the Eucharist and to attend church and receive the Sacraments... I don't think it would be loving of me to not want this for them. The Sacraments have made a big difference to me so naturally I would love my family to have this too. Since they don't attend the Orthodox church regularly, I thought, well it's good that at least sometimes they've been in my church, so they were around Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. But again, they only come with me in special circumstances.  

The Orthodox Church has not an official opinion about whether RC 'Eucharist' is the Eucharist or not. It is your Church's teaching.

Your warning is changed into the moderation. All your posts will have to be approved before publishing -  Michał Kalina.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:23:41 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
LittleFlower

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »

Alright.. i think it's time for me to go. Thanks to everyone who have been charitable and supportive and to those who have answered my question. I am still not certain if I should ask my family to come to Mass with me when we are travelling, and there's really no opportunity for them to ask an Orthodox priest, or for me to ask their Orthodox priest. So I'm not sure what to do about this. Visiting Catholic churches has not made them question Orthodoxy. The reason I supported it is because imo it's better for someone to be inside a church where the Eucharist is, because God can use that and encourage them in their faith. But I'm not sure of the EOC perspective.

To everyone who questioned my motives, - I am not sure why, but in any case I am aware of my own motives here Smiley I am going to assume that you meant well in your posts.

But this thread is becoming a huge debate so I think it's best for me to go.

God bless
LittleFlower

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »

But your parents aren't atheists, by your statements they are strong in their faith. Huh

I said that
- my dad is strong in his faith
- my mom, i don't know enough
- BUT they don't attend church or receive the Sacraments, and since I know the Sacraments are really powerful, I would want them to experience them too.. hence, I would want for them to go to church. why is wanting the best for someone a judgement of them?

I am leaving now..

God bless
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »

Where is Quinault , I want to see Her Grill the LittleFlower,
till she's well done thur Questions, and the truth finally comes out..... Grin
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:52:06 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
LittleFlower

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »

Wishing for someone to have a deeper faith is nice in theory. Wishing that an atheist will find faith is a positive thing, and prayer to that end should be lauded. That isn't what you are doing. You are hoping to rekindle the Orthodox faith of your parents by having them attend a Catholic service? That would be like trying to savor the taste of oranges by eating apples. They are both fruit, but they are not the same. Eating an apple will not satisfy the hunger for an orange. Nor will eating an apple when you should want an orange make you want an orange more.

I want them to come back to the Sacraments. Since there's no opportunity for them to come to an Orthodox service, I thought, maybe the times they were at Mass with me, would encourage them. I do believe this is possible, as God has lead me to the Sacraments in a round-about way too. But I invited them to Mass only when it was more convenient than them not going. Anyways.............. this is really my last post lol.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »

Again, the question I would have is what is the purpose of you asking if your parents already believe it is fine to attend services with you? Would you tell them that they can't come with you even though they have no problem with it?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 08:24:32 AM »

Hi,

I'm Catholic, and my family is Eastern Orthodox. My parents don't go to church regularly. Would it be wrong, from the Orthodox perspective, if they ever visited Mass with me - not all the time but maybe once or twice? Or is this not allowed for the Orthodox?

thanks

Again, the question I would have is what is the purpose of you asking if your parents already believe it is fine to attend services with you? Would you tell them that they can't come with you even though they have no problem with it?

It seems strange to me that you have a problem with her asking the question.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: