OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Ain't Your Father's Coffee Shop...  (Read 667 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: May 09, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »

Topless coffee shop that faced fury of small town is forced to close...

A coffee shop with topless waitresses, which has caused a storm of protest in a small town, has been forced to close after it put up a 'boobies wanted' sign.

Grand View Topless Coffee Shop in Vassalboro, Maine, hit the headlines when it opened in 2009, offering to serve customers semi-nude...

There are many foolish priests out there.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »

There are chains of drive-thru coffee chains in our area called "bikini baristas." The servers are all women (a couple lawsuits in the works about that since only hiring women is illegal) and they all wear lingerie, pasties or electrical tape that covers almost nothing. At last count there are 115 in WA state.

In fact, one bikini barista recently scalded a man with coffee that exposed himself to her one night. She can wear pasties while serving, he can't pleasure himself while waiting for the coffee. Apparently you need to either do that BEFORE you pull up to the window, or after you pull away from the window. The woman wasn't prosecuted.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:12:37 PM by Quinault » Logged
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

Topless coffee shop that faced fury of small town is forced to close...

A coffee shop with topless waitresses, which has caused a storm of protest in a small town, has been forced to close after it put up a 'boobies wanted' sign.

Grand View Topless Coffee Shop in Vassalboro, Maine, hit the headlines when it opened in 2009, offering to serve customers semi-nude...

I have found that if you try to drive and drink coffee without putting on a top, you will likely get burned. ..sorry, couldn't help it..... Grin
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »

One interesting thing to note in the coffee loving NW is that these businesses aren't doing very well. Most of the money is made in tips, and OSHA obviously takes issue with serving scalding liquids without proper attire. These places may be reclassified as "adult establishments" that happen to serve food to get around the laws. They pop up everywhere, and tend to close down soon after.

In the Seattle area you really alienate a key clientele with this type of business model. A great number of the workforce is women, and a large amount of the clientele is likely to be soccer moms with kids in the car. I don't think there is more than 2-3 strip clubs in the city limits of Seattle. For being a very liberal city (we have gay pride parades and naked bicycle races) the city is trying to be more family friendly. At the moment there are more dogs in Seattle than children.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »

I have to go to confession.  Somehow, I merged this thread and the one on breast milk in my mind.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:45 AM »

There are chains of drive-thru coffee chains in our area called "bikini baristas." The servers are all women (a couple lawsuits in the works about that since only hiring women is illegal) and they all wear lingerie, pasties or electrical tape that covers almost nothing. At last count there are 115 in WA state.

In fact, one bikini barista recently scalded a man with coffee that exposed himself to her one night. She can wear pasties while serving, he can't pleasure himself while waiting for the coffee. Apparently you need to either do that BEFORE you pull up to the window, or after you pull away from the window. The woman wasn't prosecuted.
Don't drink and drive!

Proverbs 22:7
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »

I have to go to confession.  Somehow, I merged this thread and the one on breast milk in my mind.

Sigh,thanks for sharing!  Shocked Shocked Wink
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »

Oy!    Roll Eyes

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:10 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I only am contributing to this thread because by a truly surreal coincidence I read this article in LA Times this morning:

Crime | Government | Medical marijuana | Education | Prop 8 | Traffic | Westside
L.A. NOW
Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »
Garden Grove cracks down on sexy coffee shops, bans nudity
Post a Comment ()
May 11, 2011 | 11:11 am

Coffeehouses in parts of Orange County have become known not only for iced coffee and smoothies but for employing waitresses who serve those drinks in various states of undress, including women who wear sheer undergarments and pasties.

Now the Garden Grove City Council is cracking down on not only the skimpy attire and occasional nudity,  but also on the illegal gambling and smoking that police say is occurring in some of the city's 37 coffeehouses, mostly located in Little Saigon. More of these shops are in nearby Santa Ana and Westminster.

On Tuesday night, the council unanimously passed an amendment to an ordinance that would ban  smoking and gambling in the shops. The amendment, which could become effective by June 25, would also ban employees from exposing genitals and breasts.

In March, police raided 20 coffeehouses and arrested 23 people for illegal gambling and seized 186 "amusement devices," which are usually games such as Pac-Man rigged to become illegal gambling machines. Police also seized $145,000 in cash, believed to be related to gambling.

Garden Grove Police Chief Kevin Raney said it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a Pac-Man game and a blackjack machine. Technology has allowed a user to flip a switch or use an application on a smartphone to turn the games to illegal use.

He also said the indecent exposure of the women has gone too far. "It's just a business model," he said. "And a very inappropriate one." For years the women have served coffee in lacy lingerie, but over the past couple of months, the department has received complaints about the attire becoming more revealing.

Nguyen Uong, a 52-year-old programmer from Fountain Valley, said the shops are not good for the city's image.

"I strongly believe this is a disease," he said, adding that at a local shop, the waitresses' garments are so racy that the pelvic area is exposed through sheer underwear.

How crazy is that? Completely opposite sides to the country!! Garden Grove an industrial suburb of Los Angeles which is technically about smack center-South of Downtown in the enormous metropolis we call LA.  LA is not just the city limits proper, the county is essentially fully integrated and the "suburbs" and "municipalities" are by all intents and purpose Los Angeles proper.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: