Cardinal Law offers Resignation

(1/3) > >>

sinjinsmythe:
Here is the link to the storyhttp://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2002/12/12/131151

the slave:
Careful - he hasn't actually done it yet !!

Me I am waiting to rejoice until I know he has actually handed in his resignation

Hypo-Ortho:
Quote from: the slave on December 12, 2002, 05:51:14 PM

Careful - he hasn't actually done it yet !!

Me I am waiting to rejoice until I know he has actually handed in his resignation

I had to be in Boston earlier today to meet with my older daughter at The Boston Sheraton in The Prudential Center.  In the lobby I could see one of those large, theater-size TV's showing Cardinal Law as the focus of the news.

On my 90-mile drive home, I listened to a Boston Herald program on the car radio.  It was a call-in show, and virtually everyone who called in voiced their disgust with Cardinal Law and called for his resignation.  The hostess of the show stated that under Cardinal Law the Boston Archdiocese was being bled to death.

Hypo-Ortho

the slave:
I receive the headlines from the NYT by e-mail

This came in a few minutes ago

<<Cardinal Law Resigns as Boston Archbishop
Cardinal Bernard Law, under intense fire in a church sex abuse scandal, resigned today as Boston archbishop. Pope John Paul II named Bishop Richard Lennon as Law's replacement.  >>

And from another site:-

<<Text Of Law's Resignation
"I am profoundly grateful to the Holy Father for having accepted my resignation as Archbishop of Boston.

It is my fervent prayer that this action may help the Archdiocese of Boston to experience the healing, reconciliation and unity which are so desperately needed.

To all those who have suffered from my shortcomings and mistakes I both apologize and from them beg forgiveness.

To the bishops, priests, deacons, religious and laity, with whom I have been privileged to work in our efforts to fulfill the Churchs mission, I express my deep gratitude. My gratitude extends as well to so many others with whom I have been associated in serving the common good; these include those from the ecumenical, Jewish, and wider interreligious communities as well as public officials and others in the civil society.

The particular circumstances of this time suggest a quiet departure. Please keep me in your prayers."  >>

Dan Lauffer:
Let us pray for the new temporary bishop of Boston, Lennon, who has quite a mess to clean up.  All the while he must navigate through land mines including pressures to laicize the Church in particularly American ways. :o

Dan Lauffer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page