OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 08:13:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Still Don't Know How They Infiltrate My Apartment...  (Read 630 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: May 08, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

Stink bugs: Everything you were afraid to know about the invasion

In flight they sound like aggravating little helicopters. When threatened they release a vile smell. The brown marmorated stink bug is something few care to touch.

They taste bad too, Jennifer Osterritter discovered...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:52:14 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »

Stink bugs: Everything you were afraid to know about the invasion

In flight they sound like aggravating little helicopters. When threatened they release a vile smell. The brown marmorated stink bug is something few care to touch.

They taste bad too, Jennifer Osterritter discovered...

Cheesy  My house gets invaded every fall.  They are not so bad here in the spring.  But they are noxious when they invade a window by the hundred count.  I vacuum them.  They stink up the vacuum.  The cats eat spiders like crazy but won't touch a Stinker.  I live in an old farmhouse so...

I had ants one year and I killed a bunch of them and laid them out where the ants were coming in and I've never had ants since...Smart critters.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »

I really don't understand why people are so vehemently against these creatures... they're harmless. I don't believe they stink things up necessarily with threatened. I've picked them up dozens of times, to put them outside, and no foul odor was emitted. Leave them alone.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »

Never Heard Of these Bugs Before...Do they Live In colder Climates...Hope Not.... Grin
In chicago I was Plagued with the Big redish brown water bugs....At night they would come out ..The sidewalk was covered with them, when walking on the sidewalk all one hears is Squish Squish when they pop ...... Grin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:40:54 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »

Fwiw, I've not killed any or found any dead, but when I spot one I get it onto a piece of paper and throw it out the door, and I've not experienced them stinking up the place. Having said that, if I had dozens or even hundreds of them getting in (as opposed to the 1-2 that get in somehow each day), I can understand why people would be frustrated. And stashko, if you live in Chicago you're safe... for now. Wink

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

Better than cockroaches...
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »

Better than cockroaches...

Much better than roaches!!

They die pretty quickly and so I just leave them alone.  They come in the windows of the sunny side of the house...and sometimes they are pretty numerous.  If they do get too thick I will get the vacuum out.  If not then they live and die and then I remove them.  But they do stink up the vacuum.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:25:30 PM »

I really don't understand why people are so vehemently against these creatures... they're harmless. I don't believe they stink things up necessarily with threatened. I've picked them up dozens of times, to put them outside, and no foul odor was emitted. Leave them alone.

The Brown Marmorate Stink Bug isn't harmless.  It's an invasive species that first appeared in eastern Pennsylvania in 2001.  It has been spreading since then and causes damage to plants.  This is of particular import with the crops that it likes to eat including orchard fruits, berries, soybeans, corn and a variety of bushes and shrubs.  They are not fussy eaters.  They are also spreading and sometimes it seems that their mode of travel is hitching rides with humans.  They are pests in more ways than one.

Here is an information sheet on them from Ohio State Univ. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/pdf/FS_3824_08.pdf

I hope that this helps answer some questions.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 03:57:56 AM »

Must be an east vs. west PA thing because they are horrid creatures over here. I must repaint my bedroom and office as they've stained the walls with their mess. I vacuum up about 30 per day in these rooms alone and believe they are not coming in now but awakening and are trying to get back out. I have found them on the backs of my draperies and behind my many paintings and wall hangings. Everywhere. Worst is when they land on your face while you sleep - and then, in one's sleep brush it away. Reward - foul stench and the end of slumber.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »

Must be an east vs. west PA thing because they are horrid creatures over here. I must repaint my bedroom and office as they've stained the walls with their mess. I vacuum up about 30 per day in these rooms alone and believe they are not coming in now but awakening and are trying to get back out. I have found them on the backs of my draperies and behind my many paintings and wall hangings. Everywhere. Worst is when they land on your face while you sleep - and then, in one's sleep brush it away. Reward - foul stench and the end of slumber.

Oh you poor dear!!...That is a mess that you've got there for sure.  It goes in cycles here...thank God...and we are in something of a lull.  But I know what you mean.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: