OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Online program for learning traditional Byzantine Chant  (Read 1496 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 04, 2004, 02:52:47 PM »

HOLY CROSS LAUNCHES BYZANTINE MUSIC WEB: Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School
of Theology has announced the launching of a new web faculty project. The
web-enabled online multimedia program for learning traditional Byzantine
chant includes twenty-one Byzantine hymns representing the major feast days
of the Orthodox Church.

Visitors can listen and also view the words these hymns, sung in both English and Greek at

http://chant.hchc.edu
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 07:16:17 AM »

Great site!  Thanks for the link!

Cool Cool

B
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 06:16:57 PM »

Man, no matter HOW much I try to figure out the Byzantine stuff, I don't get all of this "tone" stuff.  And it gets even more difficult when you start messing around with the Russian (and therefore, OCA) "tones" too.  Is there some kind of "improvisation" allowance for Byzantine stuff?  'Cos it sure seems like it sometimes.  With the Russian-style/OCA choral singing, too.  I've heard two different versions of a hymn at the same time of year on the same calendar, allegedly in the same tone!  It's confusing!  Anyway, if you have time to answer (assuming I've made anything near sense of this) I'd appreciate some input =)
OrthServ86

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 06:51:43 PM »

I agree with my fellow Justin, byzantine chant is a very complex and confusing thing for me as well. And the fact that the hymn being sung changes its sound (ie, the notes can't stay exactly the same) significantly according to language doesn't help.

But still, a very good website and a useful tool for the those striving to develop some kind of musical talent (ie yours truly  Wink )

peace,

-Justin
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 05:18:36 PM »

Aren't there different "styles" of Russian...i.e. Kievian, Zamnemy (spelled wrong I know), perhaps that is why you heard different things?  

Perhaps the reason you hear different versions of the same thing in Byzantine chant is there is a shortage of trained chanters in America so a lot of parishes are forced to use people like me who aren't trained properly and just trying thier best to do ok.  Also a lot of times choirs do thier own arrangement of music, not coming close to Byzantine music.  

Also even within a single tone there can different melodies, so if you here two troparia in the same tone they can be different.  Give it some time and listening and it will slowly start to come together and make sense.
kelfar

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Byzantine Chant

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 03:27:14 AM »

Please make a visit to this website and you will be able to learn Byzaninte Chant  in English.

http://www.kelfar.net/orthodoxiaradio

+SBDK
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 08:03:55 PM »

Please make a visit to this website and you will be able to learn Byzaninte Chant  in English.

http://www.kelfar.net/orthodoxiaradio

+SBDK

Yes, SBDK, the god of all byzantine chant will instruct you well.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: