OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 07:08:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More violence against Copts  (Read 2537 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »

At least six people were killed and 120 injured in sectarian clashes outside a church in Cairo on Saturday, officials said.  A group of Muslim Salafists attacked the Saint Mena Coptic Orthodox Church. Gunfire rang out as people sprinted for cover.

Nearby, firefighters responded to a blaze at the Saint Virgin Mary's Coptic Orthodox Church. Hundreds of residents stood outside as it burned and two men were seen jumping from a window of the building.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/05/07/egypt.clashes/index.html?hpt=T2

Lord have mercy.

HumbledDaily

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 01:06:24 AM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »

LORD have mercy!
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »

I'm reading now that at least nine people have been killed:

http://www.france24.com/en/20110508-egypt-death-toll-mounts-after-sectarian-clashes-in-cairo#

A parish priest, Father Hermina, told AFP that at least five of the dead were Copts who died when “thugs and (Muslim fundamentalist) Salafis fired at them” in the late afternoon attack.

The Gospel had been laid on a body wrapped in a sheet that was lying inside the church. The church floor was bloodstained as wounded Christians were brought in for treatment.

copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:48:41 AM »

Two churches have been attacked, one is totally burnt down. Death toll so far: 9-10. In addition to hundreds injured.

May the Lord have mercy on His people.

The Copts today celebrate the martyrdom of saint Mark the evangelist according to the Coptic calender, May his intercessions benefit us all.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
Global Nom ad

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »

The religion of peace strikes again!

Lord, have mercy!

12  confirmed dead now.  May their memories be eternal.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:45 PM »

Lord have mercy! Praying...

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »

When will it end?

When will the useless West do something?

Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »

"How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?"

Lord, have mercy. Memory eternal to the holy martyrs!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:23:27 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
copticmind

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »

My thoughts regarding this saddening incident: http://copticmind.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/coptic-muslim-coexistence-a-far-fetched-dream/

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 10:32:12 PM »

The following are pictures of the fire at St. Mary's Church, as well as the aftermath.  I can't imagine how painful this must be for our brothers and sisters over there.

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/05/snaps-of-the-virgin-mary-orthodox-church-damaged-at-imbaba-in-cairo/

DavidI

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »

These persecutions will only serve to strengthen and unify our church as the past 1500 years have demonstrated.

Lord have Mercy.

"A dog is better than I am, for he has love and he does not judge." - Abba Xanthios
jobin219
Mor Ignatius Noorono Please Pray for us

Jurisdiction: Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »

Lord Have Mercy, My prayerful condolences to Coptic brothers and sisters.

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

When will it end?

When will the useless West do something?

Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy!

If Egypt had oil, the West would have swooped in the day this all started Angry

"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children
and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity.
Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthy (Parumala Thirumeni)
jobin219
Mor Ignatius Noorono Please Pray for us

Jurisdiction: Malankara Jacobite Syriac Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

Kamilia Shehata confirms being Christian on Coptic TV

CAIRO: Kamelia Shehata appeared on TV Saturday evening to confirm that she has not converted to Islam as reported and has been living with her husband and son in Minya, Upper Egypt.

Shehata, a priest’s wife, was said to have left her husband and converted to Islam. Muslim fundamental groups alleged that she was later kidnapped by the church and prevented from public appearances. The claim has for months sparked protests calling for her “release.”

"I was born Coptic and will die Coptic. I was never held by the church at any time." Shehata told Coptic satellite channel, Al-Hayat.

Protests by Salafis asking for her release were behind her disappearance, she added.

"I never wore niqab (full face veil) or hijab (head scarf) and my photo on the internet with hijab is fabricated," Shehata added. "This issue got me closer to Christ who protected me all the time and He is the only one willing to protect me."

Meanwhile, Shehata's lawyer Naguib Gobrael threatened to withdraw from her case if she declined to appear before the prosecution as she was summoned to confirm her faith. He expressed his dismay that she appeared on a Coptic channel in a statement he released on Saturday.

"I knew of her appearance on Al-Hayat Coptic channel from media and could not reach her," Gobrael said.

"I always urged her to appear on an Egyptian channel, preferably state TV," he added.

"I know she is under severe psychological pressure, but I cannot move on with her case if she is taking decisions without consulting with me,” he told Daily News Egypt.

http://thedailynewsegypt.com/religion/kamilia-shehata-confirms-being-christian-on-coptic-tv.html

Ser her video confirming her Coptic Orthodox Christian faith:
http://youtu.be/Q-WtO0YyDzQ

"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children
and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity.
Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthy (Parumala Thirumeni)
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »

Here is some video of one of the actual attacks and desecration of the church. Lord have mercy on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCGC3hhowN8&feature=player_embedded#at=51
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Can't the Copts form some type of militia to protect and defend themselves from these unwarranted Muslim attacks?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Can't the Copts form some type of militia to protect and defend themselves from these unwarranted Muslim attacks?

And risk having the Egyptian government and the people en masse blame us collectively for trying to incite civil war?  No, that's not a wise thing to do (not to mention we're only a 10% minority).  It's exactly what the Salafis want to distract attention from them when things like this happens.  Already the military proclaimed that those who will cause strife will be tried in a similar fashion as if they're enemies of the state trying to cause a civil war.  In other words, sectarian strife will be punished in a very similar way as treason.

The idea behind the Coptic Church is to rally support from level-minded Muslims who are not backward thinking like the Muslim Brotherhood and the Salafis (both of which recently joined hand-in-hand in recent rallies calling for the formation of "the United States of Islam", which I hope makes El Baradei think twice about them).  Copts always are encouraged to be as patriotic to their nation as they can, to show forth that they are of the same blood as their Muslim counterparts, and to finger point against Muslim fundamentalists as the real enemies of the state, so that they don't become the minority they really are.  Doing this will bend the arms of the Egyptian government a little.  However, I have my fears that the army is filled with Salafi supporters, which permits things like these attacks happening.  You have one unsuspecting Salafi supporter given orders to protect a church and you have yourself the open door.

Soldiers who do not put their lives on the line for such attack should be punished and made an example of.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:57:07 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 03:20:47 AM »

Prayers......

Lord Have Mercy.....Amen Amen

Prayers for our Oriental Coptic Orthodox, Brothers and Sisters,
Mothers and fathers ... Our Oriental Orthodox Family, Lord Have Mercy
And Protect our Family, It's Faithful, Churches, and Business,
From the Evil Ones....Amen Amen

Prayers  to the Most Blessed Theotokos,Holy Mother of God,To Protect
Under Her Mantle ,All Our Oriental Coptic Brothers and Sisters, Churches ,
Monasteries,And Business  from Harm And Destruction....Amen Amen

Prayers For the Families and Friends That Lost their Loved Ones ,In this  Violence,
Lord Grant Comfort To them In this time of Sorrow.....Amen Amen
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:29:48 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:12 AM »

Lord have mercy on Christians and deal with their demoniac enemies as He once dealt with Elijah's enemies. Anathema on the green monster of Mecca!!!

Kyrie eleison
Gospode pomiluj...

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »

Lord, have mercy! "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end..." (Psalm 7:9)

Antiochian OC N.A.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

The Russian Patriarch has expressed his support and condolences for the Coptic people:

Moscow, May 10 (Interfax) – Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has expressed his condolences over the deaths of Christians and church fires in Giza on May 7 and 8 as a result of clashes between Muslims and Christians.

“The Easter joy over the resurrection of Jesus Christ was marred by sad news coming from Giza. The crimes committed on May 7 and 8 took the lives of our Christian brothers. Coptic churches were damaged,” the patriarch said in a letter to Coptic Patriarch Shenouda III.

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2011/05/russian-patriarch-prays-violence-ends-against-christians-in-egypt/

copticuser20

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Khen Piekhristos Isoos Penchois

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »

Please remember to pray for our fathers and brethren in Egypt and for the peace of the one only Holy Universal Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church of God.
"Satan and all his evil powers, trample and humiliate under our feet speedily.

All offenses and their instigators, abolish. May all dissensions of corrupt heresies cease. The enemies of Your Holy Church, O Lord, as at all times, now also humiliate.

Strip their vanity, show them their weakness speedily. Bring to naught their envy, their intrigues, their madness, their wickedness, and their slander, which they commit against us.

O Lord, bring them all to no avail. Disperse their counsel, O God, who dispersed the counsel of Ahithophel.

Arise, O Lord God, let all Your enemies be scattered, and let all who hate Your holy name flee before Your face.

But let Your people be in blessing, thousands of thousands and ten thousand times ten thousand doing Your Will. "
copticmind

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »

Please remember to pray for our fathers and brethren in Egypt and for the peace of the one only Holy Universal Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church of God.
"Satan and all his evil powers, trample and humiliate under our feet speedily.

All offenses and their instigators, abolish. May all dissensions of corrupt heresies cease. The enemies of Your Holy Church, O Lord, as at all times, now also humiliate.

Strip their vanity, show them their weakness speedily. Bring to naught their envy, their intrigues, their madness, their wickedness, and their slander, which they commit against us.

O Lord, bring them all to no avail. Disperse their counsel, O God, who dispersed the counsel of Ahithophel.

Arise, O Lord God, let all Your enemies be scattered, and let all who hate Your holy name flee before Your face.

But let Your people be in blessing, thousands of thousands and ten thousand times ten thousand doing Your Will. "

Amen and amen...

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »

i also posted on this here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35975.msg566921.html#msg566921
thanks to everyone who has posted.
thanks for the pictures, salpy.
unfortunately the video posted by Fr.Kyrillos has been removed from youtube.

let us also all stand with everyone who suffers for their faith, especially our Christian brothers in eritrea.
may God give us the strength and wisdom to respond with forgiveness and wisdom, that our enemies may be ashamed and repent.
Lord have mercy.
copticuser20

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »

Here is a video of the Muslims destroying the church: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdtMxxpVhV0. They enter with guns and swords screaming Allah il Akbar. I just wanted to ponder this peaceful religion for a second...

1. Kill 7 on Christmas shooting
2. Bomb a church on New Years Eve killing 23, and countless injured
3. Kill 2 for trying to get their church built
4. Raid a monastery and make monks hostages
5. Set two churches on fire while stealing and destroying everything inside.

I may be missing something but where is the peace in this religion??

I pray that God opens these people's hearts and keeps the devil away from them and show them that the 72 virgins are all holding flaming swords in heaven, forbidding them to enter His glorious place.
Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

A sermon by HH Pope Shenouda III on forgiveness with English subtitles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVuUYSqbqjw

Fr.Kyrillos

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »

Some interviews with the priests of the church (with English subtitles):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWf1r4be0EE&feature=BFa&list=UL53y1dbhm-p4&index=23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9FtyRv6fT0&feature=BFa&list=UL53y1dbhm-p4&index=22

HumbledDaily

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 09:42:28 PM »

I used to disagree and say that it was just some extremists who didn't understand their own religion. But now I believe that their behavior is a perfect illustration of why there is no other way than to worship a god of love- the God of love. There's nothing like watching a Coptic Orthodox sermon on the love of Christ in response to something as horrific as these bombings. It's really incredible. Suddenly the word "religion" to describe Christianity just doesn't suffice anymore. It's truly the way.

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
copticuser20

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »

I used to disagree and say that it was just some extremists who didn't understand their own religion. But now I believe that their behavior is a perfect illustration of why there is no other way than to worship a god of love- the God of love. There's nothing like watching a Coptic Orthodox sermon on the love of Christ in response to something as horrific as these bombings. It's really incredible. Suddenly the word "religion" to describe Christianity just doesn't suffice anymore. It's truly the way.
I'd hate to say this but the best sermons come after these horrid events.

And in my opinion, all extremists are true Muslims.  If you aren't a terrorist, then you are not a true Muslim that is following the Koran.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »

And in my opinion, all extremists are true Muslims.  If you aren't a terrorist, then you are not a true Muslim that is following the Koran.

Absolutely agree with this - "moderate Muslims" living in the United States that are the Islamic equivalent to liberal Christians or Westboro Baptist Church. Nothing more than a dissenting group or movement that have no relation to orthodox Islam or its history.

It's repeated too often (including media/academia) that somehow American Muslims are the only true Muslims because they're the only ones that apply Muhammad's teachings properly; the rest are either wrong or have been misguided for the past 1,400 years.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »

thanks, abouna kyrillos for those links with subtitles.
they are a blessing
mabsoota
 Smiley
Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »

Bless Fr Kyrillos

I was amazed and edified by HH's talk

Thanks for drawing my attention to it
Tags: Coptic Orthodox Church persecution Islam 
Pages: 1   Go Up