OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 04:13:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please pray for an overzealous lover of Orthodoxy  (Read 826 times) Average Rating: 0
HumbledDaily

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« on: May 07, 2011, 01:51:08 AM »

Ahhh!!! I LOVE ORTHODOXY!!! And I am finding it just so hard to not skip around town singing, "Christos Anesti!" I'm in the middle of law school exams, but I don't think I've been this content in life since... I dunno, maybe age 11. It's not easy being the only person in my family and among my classmates who is interested in Orthodoxy, and I'm afraid I've been a little overzealous with some of those closest to me. It's counter-intuitive not to sing and dance loudly in the streets, but I know that self-discipline is also a virtue and something I tend to struggle with.

Please pray for me to still this beating heart, slow down, and think more of other people's feelings. Please pray that I remember (even though I don't want to) that the world around me is not as fascinated with Orthodoxy as the people on these forums. And please pray that I can remain patient on the path to be an official catechumen.

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 01:55:12 AM »

Ahhh!!! I LOVE ORTHODOXY!!! And I am finding it just so hard to not skip around town singing, "Christos Anesti!" I'm in the middle of law school exams, but I don't think I've been this content in life since... I dunno, maybe age 11. It's not easy being the only person in my family and among my classmates who is interested in Orthodoxy, and I'm afraid I've been a little overzealous with some of those closest to me. It's counter-intuitive not to sing and dance loudly in the streets, but I know that self-discipline is also a virtue and something I tend to struggle with.

Please pray for me to still this beating heart, slow down, and think more of other people's feelings. Please pray that I remember (even though I don't want to) that the world around me is not as fascinated with Orthodoxy as the people on these forums. And please pray that I can remain patient on the path to be an official catechumen.

My prayers. Lord have mercy.

Have you read the book, One Flew Over the Onion Dome? It might help. Your situation is quite common.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:55:40 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
HumbledDaily

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:12:22 AM »

It's the first I've heard of it. Thanks for the tip!

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »

Lord Have Mercy.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with "singing and dancing in the streets". I actually know an Orthodox monk who does exactly that - all while expressing his love for Christ and the Church. Have you ever read about the "Fools for Christ"?

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
HumbledDaily

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:19:01 AM »

No. Thanks for the recommendation, though! I'd better start a to-read list, so I don't lose track.  Smiley

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:56:48 AM »

No. Thanks for the recommendation, though! I'd better start a to-read list, so I don't lose track.  Smiley

My continual prayers.

Please do ask your priest as he might want you to read certain books, and not others.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:11 AM »

My continual prayers.

Please do ask your priest as he might want you to read certain books, but not others.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »

Prayers for you.   angel

Maybe someday you will get to visit a predominantly Orthodox country, where I'm sure the Pascha celebrations will be ones to remember.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Maybe someday you will get to visit a predominantly Orthodox country, where I'm sure the Pascha celebrations will be ones to remember.   Smiley
Like this. ;-)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:21:25 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »

Lord have mercy!

HumbledDaily, I'm sure you will find this forum a blessing and a curse. Try staying away from it!  Wink I was definitely in the place you are (still am to some extent, but Lent and work has beaten me down a bit, c'est la vie  Undecided), and it's wonderful. Hold on to it and rejoice with God as you continue to learn more and become closer and closer to Him.

PM me anytime if you want to talk about some of the stuff you are experiencing -- I'm right there with you!

Liora

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

Lord have mercy! Praying... Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: