OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:50:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the explanation for the similarities between Christ and others?  (Read 453 times) Average Rating: 0
crackerjake

« on: May 07, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »

This is something I've been wrestling with for a while, and I have not been able to come to a conclusion on my own.  I've been informed of a lot of similarities between Christ and pagan figures, especially between Him and Horus (as well as Osiris), as well as various Greek and Roman pagan gods.  I am sure that this issue has been addressed, but I can't seem to find anything about it.  I know there has to be a reason behind this, and would really appreciate any input on this subject.  This is something I've been trying to address on my own, but I've thus far been unable to do so.
akimori makoto
正義の剣
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:43:21 AM »

Is this helpful?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,32967.45.html

Posts #65 and onwards.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
crackerjake

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »

This is extremely helpful, my own ignorance leaves me vulnerable Smiley  Seriously, thank you for the link, it has proven to be enlightening.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 01:10:02 AM »

If you actually read the myths of Horus - and the other figures that people claim Jesus is "based on" such as Krishna, you will find either the myths that people claim Jesus is based on 1) Don't actually exist at all or 2) They are nothing like anything associated with Jesus at all.

A really popular source for such fabrications it the movie Zeitgeist, and there are several really good refutations of it on YouTube.

Here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFI6m6Icav4
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:08:24 AM »

There are also videos such as zietgeist that is causing harm on issues like this.
http://vimeo.com/13726978

The problem with videos arguing Horus similarities is that they are half baked.

For instance a Baptism is when Egyptian god's were chopped up and thrown into a river for the crocs to eat.  They ate everything but the God's phallus, which is why they make Obelisks.   But they basically say "that is baptism" - "Ah ha!!! that's where it came from".

Baptism is completely different.   Many accusations on that video above about Jesus are wrong, even placing him in the Zodiac calendar.  It is dramatic the way its manipulated, and could convince many people.  The problem is its wrong and has been refuted many times if people would just seek it out.  Instead many watch videos (I think this could be the most damaging above), and don't look for the refutes that Christian scholars give.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »

Well stated. These false analogies usually break down rather quickly.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »

This is something I've been wrestling with for a while, and I have not been able to come to a conclusion on my own.  I've been informed of a lot of similarities between Christ and pagan figures, especially between Him and Horus (as well as Osiris), as well as various Greek and Roman pagan gods.  I am sure that this issue has been addressed, but I can't seem to find anything about it.  I know there has to be a reason behind this, and would really appreciate any input on this subject.  This is something I've been trying to address on my own, but I've thus far been unable to do so.

I will try to explain this as briefly as possible, but it's a rather complicated issue.

During the 1800's-early 1900's, a group of people called Social Darwinists wanted to do several things with our human history:

1. Make it appear as though every major world civilization was founded by "white" "Aryan" peoples.

2. Link the indo-european language group to a perceived racial group.

3. Make it appear as though all major civilizations were originally monotheistic/christian predecessors, who were later "corrupted" by the beliefs of other races.

You may wonder, "what the heck does this have to do with Jesus parallels?" Well, one of the ways they sought to achieve #3 on the above list was to forge and manipulate ancient religious historical documents in order to make it appear as though the Egyptians, for example, were originally monotheistic/proto-Christian. If you don't believe that this was really a trend in the 1800's, open up a copy of the book "Ben Hur" and read the intro section with the discussion by the three Magi. It claims, using the popular "history" of Wallace's day, of course, that the [aryan/white] Egyptians were monotheists who were "corrupted" into polytheism by their black etheopian and nubian neighbors.

There was a poet named Gerald Massey. Without any formal training, he started calling himself an "Egyptologist". He wrote a book referencing several fake sources that outlined parallels between Horus/Osiris and Jesus, including that he had 12 disciples, was crucified, was born of a virgin, etc. No actual Egyptologist today believes any of Massey's fake claims, but virtually all Horus-Jesus claims originate from him. Massey might have been motivated by the Hagelian stream of social Darwinism, a sort of "romantic race/nationalism" that sought to create altered racial/national histories.

To sum up what I've said, in a twist of historical irony, all the forged documents and fake claims made by these social darwinists in an attempt to make Christianity (and, of course, the "Aryans" who believed it, they were quite Eurocentric) look good... these same forged sources and fake claims are being used today by antitheists and occultists to attack Christianity.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:31:31 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: