OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Find (The Council of Nicea and the Bishop of Rome)C  (Read 431 times) Average Rating: 0
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Romans 10:9-10

« on: May 06, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »

Hey,

I found Canon 6 of the Council of Nicea very interesting. It seems to disprove Roman Catholic notions that the Bishop of Rome is the "universal bishop" of the entire Christian Church:

Let the ancient customs in Egypt, Libya and Pentapolis prevail, that the Bishop of Alexandria have jurisdiction in all these, since the like is customary for the Bishop of Rome also. Likewise in Antioch and the other provinces, let the Churches retain their privileges. And this is to be universally understood, that if any one be made bishop without the consent of the Metropolitan, the great Synod has declared that such a man ought not to be a bishop. If, however, two or three bishops shall from natural love of contradiction, oppose the common suffrage of the rest, it being reasonable and in accordance with the ecclesiastical law, then let the choice of the majority prevail.

It shows the authority of the Bishop of Alexandria, and then goes on to say that the Bishop of Rome has a similar jurisdiction.

What are your thoughts on this?

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Robert W
Self-appointed forum herald
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Finland

Love is no feeling

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:58:38 AM »

It seems like the council of Nicea formalised the already existing custom of the borders of the ancient Patriarchates of Alexandria, Rome and Antioch. Constantinople and Jerusalem was added later if I'm correct?

Grin I doubt you will find many people here to be overly enthusiastic about your "find" that the Patriarchates are equal. We are after all Orthodox and this is how we have understood the Church to function since the beginning. (I'm sorry to be teasing you Cool)

I must congratulate you on finding this on your own though. Most people are not that eager to check out the sources for themselves.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: