OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:19:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An odd issue, key doesn't work under certain circumstances  (Read 834 times) Average Rating: 0
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« on: May 05, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

This isn't a pressing issue or anything but one I find interesting nonetheless. I'm curious if others have experienced anything like this.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Professional on my desktop. I have it set to have a password to log in.

Anyway when I type in my password, sometimes, but not always one particular key will refuse to input. I'll literally be sitting there pounding the key to try to get it to input.

The thing is, I never have any problems at any other time inputting any of my keys (the letter in question has appeared in this very post quite a few times, no issues any of the times it appears).

Just curious if anyone has heard of anything like this.

I may have to change my password if it gets worse.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »

You might have dust bunnies in your keyboard. Try cleaning it with compressed air.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »

If it happened to me I'd take a butter knife, pry off the offending key, and see what's going on down there Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »

I would suspect as much as well, except it is only on the login screen that it doesn't work, and it pushes down just as easily as any other key.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »

Huh, strange indeed, wish I knew what the problem (and solution) was  Lips Sealed

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »

Do you use WIN + L to lock your desktop?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »

Do you use WIN + L to lock your desktop?

Nope, so I've only seen it at login.

I have a feeling it is the keyboard itself, its a gaming keyboard so it has quite a few extra functions and I have a feeling it is related to Windows not fully loading the drivers.

But who knows.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »

Well, your first problem is that your using Windows.

Your second problem is that you are using the newest version of Windows so all the bugs haven't been worked out yet, especially with after market hardware (such as a gaming keyboard)

My advice would be to get rid of Windows and use Linux, mainly for security purposes (though I'm not going to lie, Linux has its fair share of bugs especially to those who are not technologically inclined enough to be able to fix the source code...).

Seriously though, you might want to send a report to Microsoft and tell them about this particular bug and then they might fix it, or have some ideas as how to fix your problem - after all Windows 7 was your idea.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:43 PM »

Well, your first problem is that your using Windows.
Keys sticking is unique to windows?
Your second problem is that you are using the newest version of Windows so all the bugs haven't been worked out yet, especially with after market hardware (such as a gaming keyboard)
1. Are you saying one should only use obsolite OS's?
2. When you're dealing with PC's almost everything is "after market", even the OEM stuff (especially the OS).
My advice would be to get rid of Windows and use Linux, mainly for security purposes (though I'm not going to lie, Linux has its fair share of bugs especially to those who are not technologically inclined enough to be able to fix the source code...).
"Gaming keyboard" should let you know that I have no interest in Linux. Playing around with WINE is not my idea of fun. No offense, but I find it hard to take seriously anyone who suggests completely changing an OS over every little problem. I work with a couple of Mac users who are always going on about how great Macs are because they don't get viruses, and today one of them got a virus. I had a hard time feeling bad. Linux certainly has its problems, but compatibility is the most important thing to me. If I really wanted Linux I'd set up a dual-boot (or tri-boot in my case) with Linux as a secondary.
Seriously though, you might want to send a report to Microsoft and tell them about this particular bug and then they might fix it, or have some ideas as how to fix your problem - after all Windows 7 was your idea.
Yep, Windows 7 was my idea, I've used it since it was at RC 1.000, and bought it when it came out because of a special deal I was able to get. But you're right, given that both the OS and keyboard are Microsoft, I should send them a bug report.

I thank you for your usable suggestions though.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: