OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If the pope became orthodox?  (Read 8109 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »

Im pretty sure if the Pope of Rome "falls into heresy" most Roman Catholics would follow irregardless. I know most of the RC that I know would!
Hmmm. You must think we are quite stupid.

No, it's just that I grew up Roman Catholic, so I kind of know you're side of the world.  Cool

I was born and raised a Catholic.
I also studied at two Catholic universities, and was a Dominican Tertiary.
And yes, if the Vatican can find a way to dispatch of a rogue Pope, they will.
Most likely, he will be asked to resign.

I guess it depends on how far he goes. There has to be a line somewhere, but it seems the RCC has gotten so liberal, I dont know how far left that line is.

Forgive my sins.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »

I guess if youre young you must be ignorant, eh?  Cool

Not always

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »

Im pretty sure if the Pope of Rome "falls into heresy" most Roman Catholics would follow irregardless. I know most of the RC that I know would!
A. Irregardless isn't a word. B. No we wouldn't because he wouldn't.

A. Irregardless - an informal term commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective. Hm, Ive never met anyone who's never heard of that word, maybe you just live under a rock.

He didn't said he had never heard of it, but that it isn't a real word.

Actually, I was speaking with a conservative Latin Catholic priest just about 10 days ago, and he said "irregardless". (That's not really relevant, I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »

They will know we are Christians by our love.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »

A. Irregardless - an informal term commonly used in place of regardless or irrespective. Hm, Ive never met anyone who's never heard of that word, maybe you just live under a rock.

Actually, I was speaking with a conservative Latin Catholic priest just about 10 days ago, and he said "irregardless". (That's not really relevant, I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.)

Neither is Fair Dinkum, Bizzo, Jumbuck,or G'Day, but does it make me an idiot for saying them?

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »

Not always

Only ones who disagree with you?

Forgive my sins.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

No, it's just that I grew up Roman Catholic, so I kind of know you're side of the world.  Cool

Well I'm still on that side of the world and your view looks pretty skewed to me...

Also you look pretty young so did you grow up in parishes with 80 families or 500 or more families. 

Makes a difference in how we get to "see" each other.

Buddy, I grew up in one of the most highly Catholic parts of America. I used to be a HARDCORE Catholic,

Good for you. Sounds like you were a bit too HARDCORE, though...
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:03 PM »

Not always

Only ones who disagree with you?

Not always.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »

Well I'm still on that side of the world and your view looks pretty skewed to me...

Also you look pretty young so did you grow up in parishes with 80 families or 500 or more families. 

Buddy, I grew up in one of the most highly Catholic parts of America. I used to be a HARDCORE Catholic,

LOL, how so? I wouldnt say hardcore as in too far, I guess I meant devoted to my faith.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »

Just me?

Forgive my sins.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2011, 06:04:03 PM »

Oh I've heard it, it's just incorrect English. Say "regardless."

B. From your point of view I guess he wouldnt. Let me just say that most RC that I deal with dont even properly believe/follow their faith, so they would follow a "heretical" Pope.
All that proves is that you know a lot of people who aren't very good Catholics. Congratulations. I'm sure there are Eastern Orthodox Christians out there that don't follow their faith very well too.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:11 PM »

Oh I've heard it, it's just incorrect English. Say "regardless."

B. From your point of view I guess he wouldnt. Let me just say that most RC that I deal with dont even properly believe/follow their faith, so they would follow a "heretical" Pope.
All that proves is that you know a lot of people who aren't very good Catholics. Congratulations. I'm sure there are Eastern Orthodox Christians out there that don't follow their faith very well too.

Neither is Fair Dinkum, Bizzo, Jumbuck,or G'Day, but does it make me an idiot for saying them?

But Im pretty sure there are more RC who dont follow their dogmatic beliefs, atleast from what Ive seen and read. For the record, I live in a highly RC part of the US, so it isnt like I dont know many. My entire family is RC.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:07:25 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »

Not really.  

Look at this sidebar on ignorance:  You started it:  I am trying to tell you I am not playing it with you.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »

Please read:

Well, I guess in the way that Catholics are stupid to the SSPV. (That made sense, right?)

Yes.  Or the way in that I am stupid in your own eyes.  

Papist and elijahmaria,

At the risk of sounding cliche, I think you both need to get over yourselves a little bit. Someone disagreeing with you doesn't mean they consider you to be stupid.

Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »

No...at the most it would only make you sound like one if you say these things outside of Australian borders since they are not familiar slang terms internationally.

But Im pretty sure there are more RC who dont follow their dogmatic beliefs, atleast from what Ive seen and read. For the record, I live in a highly RC part of the US, so it isnt like I dont know many. My entire family is RC.
Unfortunately there are many cultural Catholics and many cradle Catholics that are under the impression that they can just pick and choose which teachings they want to follow. Unfortunately this is untrue. We, as a Church, need to step up our catechesis efforts so that lifelong Catholics quit growing up with this notion.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:11:39 PM by Wyatt » Logged
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:48 PM »

Not really. 

Look at this sidebar on ignorance:  You started it:  I am trying to tell you I am not playing it with you.

Mate, I didnt start crap. You're getting pissy over nothing. No need to get angry over a forum. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:13:07 PM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »

LOL, how so? I wouldnt say hardcore as in too far, I guess I meant devoted to my faith.

lubeltri, I have to admit that I too am curious why you think he was too hardcore.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »

No...at the most it would only make you sound like one if you say these things outside of Australian borders since they are not familiar slang terms internationally.

Unfortunately there are many cultural Catholics and many cradle Catholics that are under the impression that they can just pick and choose which teachings they want to follow. Unfortunately this is untrue. We, as a Church, need to step up our catechesis efforts so that lifelong Catholics quit growing up with this notion.

Kay, mate. What words should I use? Hillbilly slang?

Forgive my sins.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »

Not really. 

Look at this sidebar on ignorance:  You started it:  I am trying to tell you I am not playing it with you.

Mate, I didnt start crap. You're getting pissy over nothing. No need to get angry over a forum. Tongue

If my own exchange with elijahmaria a little earlier is anything to go by, it would seem that saying anything to anyone counts as starting something in her eyes.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »

Not really. 

If my own exchange with elijahmaria a little earlier is anything to go by, it would seem that saying anything to anyone counts as starting something in her eyes.

You're right, I guess I just need to ignore her.  Lips Sealed

Forgive my sins.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »

Not really.  

Look at this sidebar on ignorance:  You started it:  I am trying to tell you I am not playing it with you.

You're right, I guess I just need to ignore her.  Lips Sealed

I can't exactly say that I advocate ignoring, but I know that sometimes its hard to know what else to do.

P.S. On the other hand, ignoring may not be the best policy when someone is throwing around comments like

laugh  Oh I don't think you think I am stupid because you disagree with me.  I think you think I am stupid because I don't fight with you when you come here to bait me for no apparent reason.   laugh
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:51:06 PM by Peter J » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #156 on: May 11, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »

Quote from: celticfan1888
Kay, mate. What words should I use? Hillbilly slang?

Out of the frying pan...  Roll Eyes  Tongue
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »

Not really. 

You're right, I guess I just need to ignore her.  Lips Sealed

Ah...good.  Apparently you and Pete are going to get over yourselves  angel

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »

Let us know when you are ready to start.  I will know when you stop showing up to complain about me out of the blue.

Christ is Risen!!

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »

Christ is risen!
After 1054 he did, and you did.

At the very least in those days they followed him into schism and likely would do the same or beyond today.

You loose track of the fact that the east was seen as the schismatics, not the west.  So they went nowhere according to their own understandings at the time.

When the "true" Orthodox Churches split from the "untrue" Canonical ones...who believes that they are schismatics?  Is the offender schismatic or the one who takes offense?
Once again, but with clarity....

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

I guess it would depend on what the heresy was.

How about Papal Infaliability?
How about the Immaculate Conception?
How about the Assumption of the Theotokos without her Dying?
How about the filioque?

The third one is not taught by my Church and the other three are not heretical.
You are in communion with those who teach the third one, and it is heretical like the other three.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

How about the filioque?

You are in communion with those who teach the third one, and it is heretical like the other three.

There are no heresies taught by the papal Church.  Not one.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

How about the filioque?

There are no heresies taught by the papal Church.  Not one.
I see the Vatican has taken to mantras, a Hindu heretical practice.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:20:14 PM by ialmisry » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

How about the filioque?

Lord have mercy!

...and the like.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »

Quote from: ialmisry

Huh

... and you woke up.  Roll Eyes
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:35 PM »

Christus resurrexit!

How about the filioque?

You should either provide evidence for that statement, or indicate that it isn't meant to be taken seriously.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »

Let us know when you are ready to start.  I will know when you stop showing up to complain about me out of the blue.

Christ is Risen!!

You really are full of it, aren't you?

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »

And, as we have all degenerated once again into childish schoolyard rhetoric, so we close yet another thread in the Orthodox-Catholic Discussion forum.

Part of me is of a mind to lock this forum for a while, but I don't have that kind of power.

Now, children, off to bed without your supper because staying up to argue with someone over the internet just isn't worth losing that much sleep over.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: