OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal for a Muslim holiday...?  (Read 425 times) Average Rating: 0
henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« on: May 05, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »

Nofri!
One very stupid woman came up with a very bad idea:
Carin Jämtin is the Secretary General of the Social Democrat Party. Speaking to broadsheet Svenska Dagbladet she says that, since almost all of Sweden's public celebrations are based on the Christian calendar, one of them should be swapped with an event that reflects modern Sweden's cultural make-up.

The Swedish Humanist Association has reacted by calling Jämtin's suggestion 'absurd', since most people in Sweden are secularised, and do not take holidays for their religious significance.
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=4484170

Well, did she even know that the Orthodox easter is not always a holiday in Sweden?! maybe not!

What do you Orthodox think about this? a muslim holiday is more important than orthodox easter!

searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »

Maybe she can do her "swapping" with Algeria and/or Turkey or another country that has only Muslim holidays. (I checked Wikipedia by searching "Public holidays in country" for my info)

Egypt, Syria and other places with historical Christian communities do list Christmas and often Easter (one or both calendars) as public holidays.

Sheesh, when the Humanist Association calls the suggestion "absurd", you know that "absurd" is a mild term.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:37 AM »

Why I'm not suprised that it must be a Muslim holiday. I don't know how things work in America but back here in the Old World multicultural policy seems to always about Islam.

henrikhankhagnell

Faith: Coptic Orthodox or Roman-Catholic in my heart but I have not convertet yet...

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »

Why I'm not suprised that it must be a Muslim holiday. I don't know how things work in America but back here in the Old World multicultural policy seems to always about Islam.
in Sweden some of the muslims wish to build many mosques and make Sweden a muslim country. I am against that. They can have some smaller mosques but if they wish to live the muslim faith 100 % why did they move to Sweden.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »

I've been told my a Muslim...that their goal is to make it a Muslim world....

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »

I've been told my a Muslim...that their goal is to make it a Muslim world....
Cry Cry Cry

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »

Kristus är Upstånden!
Yes, the EU's calendar has all the Muslim, Jewish and Chinese holidays on it, but omitted even Pascha/Easter and Christmas.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

...but if they wish to live the muslim faith 100 % why did they move to Sweden.

And if you wish to live the Coptic faith why don't you move to Egypt?

Freedom of religion belongs also to the Muslims. While I'm against stupid multicultural policy which downplays our own traditions we shouldn't be disrespectful to Muslims. And I'm having a hunch that it is not Muslims or other immigrants that demand multicultural politics. It wasn't a Muslim or some other immigrant from the Thirld World who demanded removal of crucifixes from Italian schools.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:19:55 PM by Alpo » Logged

henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:09 PM »

...but if they wish to live the muslim faith 100 % why did they move to Sweden.

And if you wish to live the Coptic faith why don't you move to Egypt?

Sweden had a Christian tradition but not a muslim one. and I am also very interested in European Christianity.

Freedom of religion belongs also to the Muslims. While I'm against stupid multicultural policy which downplays our own traditions we shouldn't be disrespectful to Muslims. And I'm having a hunch that it is not Muslims or other immigrants that demand multicultural politics. It wasn't a Muslim or some other immigrant from the Thirld World who demanded removal of crucifixes from Italian schools.
I am not against Islam but I live in Sweden and not in Saudi Arabia!
and yes, Atheism is the worst thing ever! So I am against the Swedish Secularism.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: