OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lady Cheese Shop is offering Cheese made from Human Breast Milk  (Read 1941 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« on: May 03, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/03/human-breast-milk-cheese_n_856866.html?ref=fb&src=sp

A New York gallery on Sunday offered adventurous eaters the opportunity to sample cheese made from human breast milk, getting mixed reviews and some puzzled looks... GO TO LINK FOR FULL STORY.

Um, what are your opinions of this? I think it's a bit weird myself.  Lips Sealed

Forgive my sins.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:16 AM »

Ewwwwwwwww!!!!!!! Lips Sealed
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:54 AM »

This shouldn't gross me out, as I am a sort-of feminist.....

but EW.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:17:38 AM »

Christ is risen!

What is Bob Barr's review (think Borat)?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:18:53 AM »

I think you have to ask yourself whether this idea addresses any genuine need of humanity; i.e., Does it solve any real problem or help to change society for the better? The answer here, clearly, is no. It only benefits the inventor, who stands to make money from humanity's fascination with the unusual. Yeah, the idea is a little gross, but that's what he's counting on. It's just another manifestation of our society's decadence.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:19:16 AM by sainthieu » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »

Kinky. And gross.  Cheesy

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:04 AM »

I don't know about cheese, but I would go with the ice cream if they come out with it.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:42:32 AM »

I don't know about cheese, but I would go with the ice cream if they come out with it.

They've done that as well.

Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:44:43 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm. .. .

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »

interestingly enough, my science teacher says that we're the only species that consumes milk from other animals.  our bodies are made to digest this, and they have a harder time with animal milk.  this, suprisingly, doesn't sound that gross to me Cheesy

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »

that'd be an interesting side job, to provide the breast milk for ice cream and cheese.  it may look odd on a resume  Cheesy

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 10:38:14 AM »

interestingly enough, my science teacher says that we're the only species that consumes milk from other animals.  our bodies are made to digest this, and they have a harder time with animal milk.  this, suprisingly, doesn't sound that gross to me Cheesy

Did your science teacher ever have a cat?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »

Christ is risen!

When I worked in the Health clinic, I was rumaging for something in the freezer in back, and came across some packets of frozen white substance. I regretted asking what it was.

Seems to be like the cousin taboo most Orthodox have (in the Middle East, we don't).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 10:56:20 AM »

Sigh.

It's an odd thing that we humans are so opposed to what is created by God to feed HUMANS - and we'd rather go to another foreign animal to have our needs met . . .and not adequately so. 

Human breast milk anything shouldn't be a weird or 'ew' thing. . . but we are so removed from what is right and good that we wouldn't recognize it if it hit us over the head. 

We're so good at calling evil 'good' and good 'evil'.  Or rather what is corrupt - good and what is pure - corrupt.

If the milk is tested pure and pasteurized -  why is it so unacceptable?  Believe me, eating it as ice-cream or cheese is NOT suckling at a woman's breast. It's just FOOD from a very healthy food source - one way over looked in a world where food is at risk on so many different levels.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:05:58 AM »

Nice.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »

Didn't we all feed on it as infants? I was breast-fed.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

If the milk is tested pure and pasteurized -  why is it so unacceptable?  Believe me, eating it as ice-cream or cheese is NOT suckling at a woman's breast. It's just FOOD from a very healthy food source - one way over looked in a world where food is at risk on so many different levels.

It ain't meant for me... that is, it is meant for someone else's use... Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:10:35 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 11:37:20 AM »

Nice.

I'd like to see a cat milk a cow though.

As far as human milk vs other milk goes, I am equally against the consumption of dairy.  Human milk is for baby humans.  Cow milk is for baby cattle.  There aren't any good reasons that grown humans should consume dairy, human or otherwise.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:01 AM »

Nice.

As far as human milk vs other milk goes, I am equally against the consumption of dairy.  Human milk is for baby humans.  Cow milk is for baby cattle.  There aren't any good reasons that grown humans should consume dairy, human or otherwise.

I drink milk because it's a good source if calcium to make strong bones, and with the hits I give/take in footy, I need it. :p

Forgive my sins.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »

This shouldn't gross me out, as I am a sort-of feminist.....
but EW.
Funny as a feminist something that reduces women to cattle does gross me out.

Proverbs 22:7
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »

If the milk is tested pure and pasteurized -  why is it so unacceptable?  Believe me, eating it as ice-cream or cheese is NOT suckling at a woman's breast. It's just FOOD from a very healthy food source - one way over looked in a world where food is at risk on so many different levels.

And the cow's milk wasn't meant for. . .the calf?  **laughing**

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »

And the cow's milk wasn't meant for. . .the calf?  **laughing**

Well, let me put it this way... I wouldn't feel like I'm stealing from a baby if I drank cow's milk...  angel

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »

Nice.

I have no problem with being a vegetarian or a vegan, except when it becomes cultish.

However, here is a good reason for human beings ability to use cattle, milk etc... for sustenance, from the Book of Genesis: "And God blessed them: and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »

As a consumer of plenty of milk (2-3 gallons per week) I eat a lot of cereal and since I'm tall, I need it. However, a woman's breast milk kind of grosses me out!

M
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »

Seems to be like the cousin taboo most Orthodox have (in the Middle East, we don't).

Marriage?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »

Adults drinking any kind of milk is infantile and crazy as far as I'm concerned.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »

Adults drinking any kind of milk is infantile and crazy as far as I'm concerned.

Milk goes really good with cookies. And toasted cheese sandwiches. And anything with BBQ sauce. And steak. And...  angel

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »

There are good medical reasons why adults would drink human breast milk.  People with compromised immune systems, cancer, gastrointestinal disease, burn patients, etc...   Many adults with these health problems purchase breast milk from mother's milk banks nationwide.  The milk is treated, but still retains auto-immune properties and is highly digestible.  In many cases it's a lifesaving choice, but it isn't cheap and some insurance plans will not pay for it. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »

Yes, I would rather drink Scotch.  However, the only cookies that go well with Scotch are Walkers.  For my Oreos, milk is the only way to go.  Cow's milk has been around a long time, and having lived in Wisconsin for a while, I am pretty much familiar with the process of production.  However, human milk is new enough that I think that I would want to do a complete inspection of the source before I started purchasing the product. 

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »

Yes, I would rather drink Scotch.  However, the only cookies that go well with Scotch are Walkers.  For my Oreos, milk is the only way to go.  Cow's milk has been around a long time, and having lived in Wisconsin for a while, I am pretty much familiar with the process of production.  However, human milk is new enough that I think that I would want to do a complete inspection of the source before I started purchasing the product. 

For health and safety, of course.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »

For health and safety, of course.

Uh . . . yeh, that's it . . . for health and safety . . . of course.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »

Sorry if my previous post was offensive to anyone, milk is really gross to me and I wasn't being very self controlled there.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 11:34:54 PM »

I'm a woman and I STILL think "ew." Like you said, Jason, it's probably because I hate straight milk to begin with.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 01:39:08 AM »

I have no issue with this, but I have had about a decade and a half at this point of experience with breast milk both as a mom and in early childhood education. The screening that female breast milk donors have to go thru is so rigorous that there aren't many cows that could pass.

I wouldn't eat it, even if it was made from my own milk. But I don't think it is that disgusting for others to eat it. A good percentage of expensive face creams have foreskins in it, THAT I find very disgusting. At least human milk is meant to be consumed, foreskins are not meant to be made into skin cream.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:39:56 AM by Quinault » Logged
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »

I am always amazed that OC Net discussions on, for example, breast milk, can generate 35+ replies, but some questions about theology and liturgy barely register a blip.  Now if someone could bring sex and monasticism into this thread I'm sure we could push it to a 4 pager at least!   Wink

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »

I can argue until an angel cries "Uncle", but even I get tired of discussing the same old issues over and over again.  Breast milk is at least new and refreshing (the thread, that is).

I am always amazed that OC Net discussions on, for example, breast milk, can generate 35+ replies, but some questions about theology and liturgy barely register a blip.  Now if someone could bring sex and monasticism into this thread I'm sure we could push it to a 4 pager at least!   Wink
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:35:17 PM by Punch » Logged

tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

I am always amazed that OC Net discussions on, for example, breast milk, can generate 35+ replies, but some questions about theology and liturgy barely register a blip.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when it comes to theology, I know enough to know that I don't know enough. Or as the psalmist sings, "Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with things too profound for me."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: