OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 08:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the OO's ever condemn Eutyches?  (Read 4734 times) Average Rating: 0
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »

I was talking with an Ethiopian Orthodox friend on facebook who said that there is no documents supporting the idea that he was condemned.

Is this true? Is there really no evidence?

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »

The Armenians condemned him at the Council of Dvin, at the same time they condemned Chalcedon.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »

Christ is risen!

IIRC, Father Peter Pfarrington posted something about the anathemas of Pope Dioscoros against Ibas, which are also IIRC part of the same against Eutyches.

I suspect that part of the reason why the OO do not consider Ephesus II as ecumenical is because it exonerated Eutyches (like Chalcedon restored Ibas and Theodoret).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »

Thanks! I will let him know what I found here

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

Ioannes

Faith: Orthodox

The end is now.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

The second council of Ephesus clearly shows Eutyches was not heretical, sure he had difficulty understanding the wording of the nature of Christ. Yet St. Cyril clearly accepted both definitions on the nature of Christ. Where are the historical sources for these claims the Eutyches was condemned?
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »

The problem with Eutyches is that no one knows exactly what he believed.  The minutes of the Synod held by Patriarch Flavian at Constantinople records him saying something along the lines that Christ had heavenly flesh, or some such heretical thing; however, when Eutyches read the minutes he claimed he was misrepresented and denied having said such things.  Later, at Ephesus II, he made the statement that Christ was consubstantial with his mother.  It was for that Orthodox statement that Eutyches was exonerated by St. Dioscorus.

Yet at some point later, we do see Eutyches being condemned by the Oriental Orthodox.  I'm not sure what happened.  It could be that after Ephesus II he made another statement that was heretical.  It's been argued that he was confused.  I suppose only God knows what Eutyches really believed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:48:43 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »

I seem to recall that Fr. Peter used to have a link on the internet to his paper on Eutyches.  I can't find it now, though. 

If you have a copy of his book, Orthodox Christology, the article on Eutyches is in there.

It's been a while since I read it, and I'm too lazy right now to find my copy of the book.  If I misstated anything in the summary I made above, I guess Fr. Peter can correct me.   Smiley

Here is a link to the book:

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/orthodox-christology/10969273

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »

Christ is risen!
I seem to recall that Fr. Peter used to have a link on the internet to his paper on Eutyches.  I can't find it now, though. 
It was http://www.britishorthodox.org/Eutyches.pdf (http://www.britishorthodox.org/Eutyches.pdf
but the link seems to be dead.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »

Salpy, I do have that book and I will go through it. The consensus is that Eutyches was condemned after Chalcedon by St Dioscorous. However I am unable to find any such thing in any historical source. Even at Chalcedon Eutyches admitted that he did not give this much thought because he found the debate between which definition of the nature of Christ is right to be very confusing. The way the Orientals were treated at the 4th council was down right disgusting, calling everyone into question, all the while, Theodoret, a heretic sat amongst them. Eutyches may have said un-Orthodox things but was admittedly confused, as are most people, by this subject.

All I want is a historical reference.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:36:03 AM »

I was talking with an Ethiopian Orthodox friend on facebook who said that there is no documents supporting the idea that he was condemned.

Is this true? Is there really no evidence?

All of the accounts of Ephesus III and the Henotikon that I have seen have indicated an official condemnation of Eutyches.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:08 AM »

I suspect that part of the reason why the OO do not consider Ephesus II as ecumenical is because it exonerated Eutyches (like Chalcedon restored Ibas and Theodoret).

Probably not, because the same do not consider Ephesus III ecumenical either.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:38:32 AM »

The second council of Ephesus clearly shows Eutyches was not heretical, sure he had difficulty understanding the wording of the nature of Christ. Yet St. Cyril clearly accepted both definitions on the nature of Christ. Where are the historical sources for these claims the Eutyches was condemned?

Ephesus III, the Henotikon, and Saint Severus all explicitly labeled Eutyches a heretic after the fact of Ephesus II.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 12:41:03 AM »

Salpy, I do have that book and I will go through it. The consensus is that Eutyches was condemned after Chalcedon by St Dioscorous. However I am unable to find any such thing in any historical source. Even at Chalcedon Eutyches admitted that he did not give this much thought because he found the debate between which definition of the nature of Christ is right to be very confusing. The way the Orientals were treated at the 4th council was down right disgusting, calling everyone into question, all the while, Theodoret, a heretic sat amongst them. Eutyches may have said un-Orthodox things but was admittedly confused, as are most people, by this subject.

I might remember having read a letter of Saint Dioscorus from after Chalcedon that stated that Eutyches was a heretic. I will try to find it. But either way, I listed three major other sources of post-Chalcedon OO condemnation of Eutyches. If you are skeptical I'll collect the sources.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:47 AM »

Ephesus III, the Henotikon, and Saint Severus all explicitly labeled Eutyches a heretic after the fact of Ephesus II.

Yes!  I was going to mention Ephesus III, St. Timothy Aelurius, St. Dioscorus' direct successor, lead this council of 500+ bishops.  Both Ephesus II and III though may not be considered as "ecumenical" as the first three hold some ecumenical weight.  Ephesus III for Copts and Syrians can be analogous to Dvin for the Armenians.  (Consider also the fact that this was the first OO source of claiming the Council of Constantinople at 381 as ecumenical.)

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »

I might remember having read a letter of Saint Dioscorus from after Chalcedon that stated that Eutyches was a heretic. I will try to find it. But either way, I listed three major other sources of post-Chalcedon OO condemnation of Eutyches. If you are skeptical I'll collect the sources.

Please.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:13:18 AM »

Please.

I'm guessing you mean yes to both. It'll be much easier to find the other three. My imagination of the letter of Saint Dioscorus might not pan out, though. I'll try to retrieve these sources for you and post what I find.

Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:17:50 AM »

thank you deus
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:49:29 AM »

I've copied the article on Eutyches back to here...

http://www.britishorthodox.org/Eutyches.pdf

Hope it is useful to people.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »

thanks very much for all that hard work  Smiley
Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »

Thanks Abouna
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »

Ioannes was the one I was talking to on facebook.

Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »

I recommend "The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined" by Fr. VC Samuel to everyone here.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »

It's available here...

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-council-of-chalcedon-re-examined/194480

Ioannes

The end is now.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »

Great book
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 02:11:47 AM »

I've copied the article on Eutyches back to here...

http://www.britishorthodox.org/Eutyches.pdf

Hope it is useful to people.

Father Peter

Thank you, Father.   Smiley

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »

Came across this and wanted to add for future reference:

"Then again, we also punish with the same anathema those who from another side have been moved by error against the true faith:

and I mean Valentinus, Basilides, Marcion, Mani, Apollinaris, the senseless Eutyches who stumbled many times into the same snares and became a leper with a leprosy enduring and incurable;

and those who after him were sick with this feebleness aggravated the disease as they took pains to defile the true and redemptive sufferings of Emmanuel as it were with abscesses, with an impassible and immortal body;

and in their several ways they were dismayed, as the prophetic utterance declares (cf. Ez 36:32), since they were unaware of the straight road of truth which proclaims that our Lord and our God and our Saviour Jesus Christ is one and alone, who suffered in flesh which was capable of suffering until it destroyed death and utterly trampled it down by means of the resurrection;

and he the same is impassible in divinity, as it has been affirmed."

-Synodical Letter to Theodosius, St. Severus of Antioch.

SEVERUS OF ANTIOCH by Pauline Allen and C.T.R.Hayward, Routledge (pp. 167-168)

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 04:57:44 PM »

and in their several ways they were dismayed, as the prophetic utterance declares (cf. Ez 36:32), since they were unaware of the straight road of truth which proclaims that our Lord and our God and our Saviour Jesus Christ is one and alone, who suffered in flesh which was capable of suffering until it destroyed death and utterly trampled it down by means of the resurrection;

Uh oh, did Severus just speak of the flesh as a subject?  Wink

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

That's probably a poor translation, because the content beyond the "capable of suffering" part is even more unbelievable to be applied particularly to the flesh. Usually, if anything, the destroying of death and trampling down upon it is applied to the divine power.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »

Leo speaks through Severus!   Cheesy

That's probably a poor translation, because the content beyond the "capable of suffering" part is even more unbelievable to be applied particularly to the flesh. Usually, if anything, the destroying of death and trampling down upon it is applied to the divine power.

I believe Pauline Allen is a well respected Syriac scholar, but I guess there could be something lost going from Greek to Syriac to English over some 1500 years.  You'd definitely understand the statement better than me.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2011, 12:40:24 AM »

Otherwise the statement is possibly even more problematic than the Tome of Leo.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:22 PM »

Anyone want to try and verify as to whether that was a translation error or not?

Oh, btw, Thread resurrection!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 08:21:55 PM »

Anyone want to try and verify as to whether that was a translation error or not?

Actually, I think there is another passage from St. Severus where he says a similar thing. But even Saint Athanasius says "His own body suffered", in his letter to Epictetus.

This should be the subject of an interesting discussion. Unfortunately, I have to dash right now and finish my studies.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

Actually, I think there is another passage from St. Severus where he says a similar thing. But even Saint Athanasius says "His own body suffered", in his letter to Epictetus.

A bit like saying that the flesh does what is proper to it, eh?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 05:56:34 AM »

How could there be a problem saying that the flesh suffered? or that the Word suffered in flesh which was capable of suffering?

This is what the incarnation means surely?

The problem is when it is said that the flesh suffers apart from the Word. Or that the Word does one thing and his flesh another. Naming the flesh is not problematic. St Severus says that the humanity is utterly and completely different and other than the divinity and that this difference remains in the incarnation. It is a property of humanity to suffer, it is not a property of divinity to suffer. But in the incarnation it become a property of the Word of God incarnate to suffer himself in his own humanity.

The issue with the Tome of Leo is where it seems to say that the Word (a person) receives glory, while the flesh receives insults, and this has appeared to personalise and subjectify the humanity.

We would want to say either,

The Word of God himself receives suffering in his own humanity, and is above and far removed from all suffering in his divinity.

or

The Word of God receives both glory and suffering in the unmixed and unconfused union of humanity with his divinity.

It is problematic to say that the Word does one thing and the flesh another because we must ask who is this flesh if he is not the Word?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 06:17:56 AM »

Father, did Saint Dioscorus ever formally condemn Eutyches? I know he expressed willingness to anathematize him should he have held to any heretical christological views. But did Saint Dioscorus formally excommunicate the person of Eutyches?

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 06:39:13 AM »

On what basis should he have done?

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 12:07:40 PM »

How could there be a problem saying that the flesh suffered? or that the Word suffered in flesh which was capable of suffering?

This is what the incarnation means surely?

The problem is when it is said that the flesh suffers apart from the Word. Or that the Word does one thing and his flesh another. Naming the flesh is not problematic. St Severus says that the humanity is utterly and completely different and other than the divinity and that this difference remains in the incarnation. It is a property of humanity to suffer, it is not a property of divinity to suffer. But in the incarnation it become a property of the Word of God incarnate to suffer himself in his own humanity.

The issue with the Tome of Leo is where it seems to say that the Word (a person) receives glory, while the flesh receives insults, and this has appeared to personalise and subjectify the humanity.
I don't agree. From what I've read, the Tome is not saying that the Word does something while the flesh independently does something completely different. It simply makes them into subjects and differentiates what each subject does in accordance with what is proper to it. Much like how you've said that it is a property of humanity to suffer and not one of divinity to suffer. And the Tome of Leo says that each subject works with the co-operation of the other.

It just doesn't seem like a very strong distinction to me.
It is problematic to say that the Word does one thing and the flesh another because we must ask who is this flesh if he is not the Word?
The flesh of the Word.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »

Well you've said it. He creates two subjects.

That is the error of Theodore, Ibas, Theodoret and Nestorius.

There is only one subject in Christ, God the Word.

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »

I still don't get how that's any different from what Athanasius or Severus did.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »

I still don't get how that's any different from what Athanasius or Severus did.

You'd be caught dead before you hear St. Athanasius say "The Word does something, and the flesh does another."  The flesh does something.  The Word does what the flesh does.  That's the difference between Leo and Athanasius.  It is the Word that sustains insults and injuries, and the Word that also works miracles.  The power of the miracles come from the divinity.  We can say the divinity does them.  Sure.  But the Word doesn't do something separate from the flesh.  The Word is the one doing them in the flesh.

So when they say the flesh does something, think of an understood "of the Word" in there after the flesh.  Leo doesn't say the flesh "of the Word" sustains insults (if he did, there might be some who could accuse him of Eutychianism, which was the ridiculous issue in Chalcedon).  He says the Word does one thing, and the flesh another.  That's the difference.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:29:58 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »

Here's how I see it...

If you slam a hammer on your finger, you can say "my finger hurts". If you eat too much at the buffet, you can say "my stomach hurts". But, this is entirely different from saying "my finger hurts, while I do not feel pain". IOW, Christ's body was lashed before his crucifixion, thus, along with Saint Athanasius, we can say "His own body suffered". Christ also says, in the Garden of Gethsemane, "my soul anguishes", but, this is because the Divinity, body, and soul all belong to the self-same God the Word, who is the ultimate subject of the Incarnation.

What Pope Leo implies is that there are two centers of conscientiousness in Christ.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:59:39 PM by Severian » Logged

William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

Maybe I need to reread the Tome of Leo or something, because I don't really remember him expressing the opinions that you all are imputing onto him.

Like Severian's analogy: "my finger hurts, while I do not feel pain." I don't really get how Leo said anything equivalent to that.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »

Well he said that the Word receives glory while the flesh receives suffering.

So that implies strongly that the Word has nothing to do with the suffering, which is not true. He doesn't say, in that passage, that the flesh of the Word receives suffering, he sets as two subjects - as you described yourself - the Word and the flesh.

If the Word does not receive suffering then it does seem to be like saying 'this body is hungry but I do not feel hungry'. We would be entitled to assume that the body which feels hunger and the one who does not are two different subjects.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »

Is there something intrinsically wrong with talk about "person of Christ"? I rarely address Christological issues in fear of being a heretic of some variation but I can't help feeling that talk about person of Word or that Word being the only subject to be the same as saying that He's not true man after all. Huh
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:32:47 PM by Alpo » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »

Is there something intrinsically wrong with talk about "person of Christ"? I rarely address Christological issues in fear of being a heretic of some variation but I can't help feeling that talk about person of Word or that Word being the only subject to be the same as saying that He's not true man after all. Huh

There's nothing wrong with saying "Christ does this or that". But it must be clear that Christ is the very self-same God the Logos, who is the ultimate subject of action.

Tags: Eutyches Chalcedon Ephesus II 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: