OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 07:11:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q on the Ankh  (Read 415 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:14 AM »

I am reading Introduction to the Coptic Orthodox Church by Fr. Tadros Y. Malaty. In it I read:

d) The Cross:  Egyptians  tended  to  identify  the  Cross with their own sign of eternal life, "the Ankh," which was held  in  the  hands  of  the  immortals  such  as  gods  and pharaohs. The "Ankh" sign took the shape of a cruciform with rounded tip, which was readily adopted and used by the Copts from the very early times.

I have always avoided ever using the ankh because I thought and was taught that it was from pagan religious ideas, or more recently, it would confuse people with thinking I agreed with/approved of pagan ideas.  Is this still the case?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:07:31 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Codex_Glazier_2.JPG
This will give you an idea. I searched Coptic cross, and easily found this.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:57:46 AM »

I am reading Introduction to the Coptic Orthodox Church by Fr. Tadros Y. Malaty. In it I read:

d) The Cross:  Egyptians  tended  to  identify  the  Cross with their own sign of eternal life, "the Ankh," which was held  in  the  hands  of  the  immortals  such  as  gods  and pharaohs. The "Ankh" sign took the shape of a cruciform with rounded tip, which was readily adopted and used by the Copts from the very early times.

I have always avoided ever using the ankh because I thought and was taught that it was from pagan religious ideas, or more recently, it would confuse people with thinking I agreed with/approved of pagan ideas.  Is this still the case?
It wasn't really from pagan religious ideas:the sign is how you write the word 'aankh, which was the ancient Egyptian word for "life" (Coptic "oon-kh").  The picture is actually a sandal strap, 'nkh.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:58:08 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »

So as a Christian, would it be alright to say, use an Ankh avatar on Christian websites or wear an Ankh pendant?

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »

I would personally avoid it since it doesn't carry the same meaning to those in the West (which is where I am assuming you live).  Same reason I wouldn't wear a circle with a + in it.  Though the symbol was utilized by Christians in the North (e.g. the Celtic Cross probably in part came from this), I am not an Odinist and most people around me would be more likely to recognize this as an Odinist symbol (supposing most Americans were more than semi-literate) or with Neo-Naziism.  If you are in fact an Egyptian living amongst Egyptian/Coptic Christians who would understand the meaning then by all means do so.   Smiley

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:50:26 AM »

im sorry but most people have no understanding of ANYTHINGS meaning... Also keep in mind "there is nothing new under the sun" MANY of our traditions borrow dates items shapes etc. from Pagan faith before Christianity... Including the cross, snakes of Moses, Trinity symbol, number three these were all sacred to the Celtic peoples before Christianity and that's only one people group. I have actually been approached by a number of Christians accusing me of occultism for wearing a "Peters Cross"... If you have a connection with the Ankh then study and learn it then if someone questions you (christian or not) you will have a opening to direct them to the Truth!
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:56:24 AM »

I would personally avoid it since it doesn't carry the same meaning to those in the West (which is where I am assuming you live).  Same reason I wouldn't wear a circle with a + in it.  Though the symbol was utilized by Christians in the North (e.g. the Celtic Cross probably in part came from this), I am not an Odinist and most people around me would be more likely to recognize this as an Odinist symbol (supposing most Americans were more than semi-literate) or with Neo-Naziism.  If you are in fact an Egyptian living amongst Egyptian/Coptic Christians who would understand the meaning then by all means do so.   Smiley
HAHAHA you suppose too much here they would just think its a crosshair or something. Most Americans dont even realize it could be a celtic cross because the only think of the High Crosses. I made a necklace that i LOVE it is a Celtic cross withing a Coptic, in honor of the British Orthodox Church which i hope to convert into hen i move to Europe. I use this cross many times to share history of the Irish and Christianity. I can even segway into the thought that the Celts were so close( like many other things) as to the purpose. To the Celts it resemble unity and harmony of the elements... Like i said i think these are perfect opportunities into sharing the truth and how the Cross does bring unity and harmony to all Creation!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:58:18 AM by Seafra » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: