OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:12:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope St. Nicholas I on the erection of Patriachates.  (Read 454 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: May 04, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

I was rereading Pope St. Nicholas I's letter to the Khan Boris/Czar Michael of Bulgaria, and thought this was interesting:
Chapter LXXIII.

You also ask by whom a patriarch should be ordained. Know then that in a place where no patriarch or archbishop has been constituted, he should be installed for the first time by the greatest bishop, since, according to the Apostle,[cf. Heb. 7:7] the lesser is blessed by the greater. But then, once permission and the use of the pallium has been received, from then on he himself ordains the bishops for himself who are able to ordain his successor. But, whether you ask that a patriarch or an archbishop or a bishop be ordained for you, you can wish to have this person ordained by no one more fitting than the pontiff of the see of Peter, from whom the episcopacy and the apostolate took its beginning. In this matter, this order should be preserved, namely that now a bishop should consecrated for you by the bishop of the apostolic see, who, if the people of Christ increase under his leadership, may receive through us the privilege of the archepiscopacy and so finally he may constitute bishops for himself, who may elect his successor when he dies. And because of the length of the journey, let whoever is elected no longer come here to be consecrated before he receives the pallium from the see of Rome, as all the archbishops of the Gauls and Germany and other regions are shown to do
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/866nicholas-bulgar.html
Note, nothing about Constantionople, Alexandria, Antioch, Jerusalem or Cyprus receivng the pallium.  At the time, Rome-rightly so-claimed that Bulgaria fell within its patriarchate-the Balkans had only been removed and transferred to Constantinople by the iconoclast emperors.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:53:01 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »

Of course, Pope St. Nicholas can't help but slip some incipent Ultramontanism in:
Chapter XCII.

You desire to know how many patriarchs there truly are. In truth, those men should be considered patriarchs who achieve the apostolic see through the succession of bishops, i.e. those who rule over those churches which the apostles are shown to have established, namely the churches of Rome, Alexandria, and Antioch. Rome, because both princes of the holy apostles, Peter and Paul, established it by their preaching and sanctified it with their own blood which was shed for the love of Christ; Alexandria, because the evangelist Mark, who was the disciple and son by baptism of Peter, established it after being sent by Peter and dedicated it with his blood to the Lord Christ; and Antioch, because it was there that in a great assembly of the saints the faithful were first called Christians and because the blessed Peter governed it for some years before he came to Rome. The bishops of Constantinople and of Jerusalem, although they are called patriarchs, do not possess as much authority as the above [sees]. For, as regards the church of Constantinople, none of the apostles founded it nor did the synod of Nicaea, which is more venerable and celebrated than all other synods, make any mention of it; rather its bishop was given the title of patriarch more through the favor of princes than by reason, since Constantinople was called "New Rome." As for the bishop of Jerusalem, although he is both called a patriarch and should be honored as such in accordance with ancient custom and the synod of Nicaea, with his proper dignity of metropolitan preserved, in [the acts of this] same great synod, he is in no way called the bishop of Jerusalem, but rather the bishop of Helia. For on the one hand, the true Jerusalem, which is our mother, is only in heaven;[cf. Gal. 4:26] in accordance with what the Lord predicted, on the other hand, the earthly Jerusalem was destroyed by the Roman emperor Aelius Hadrian down to its foundations so that not a single stone was left atop another stone,[cf. Mt. 24:2] and it was reconstructed by this same Roman emperor Aelius Hadrian in another place so that the place of the Lord's cross, which was outside the gate, is now found within [the city] and that city is called Aelia after the aforementioned Aelius Hadrian.[30]

[30] Nicholas's claim that the emperor Hadrian (AD 117-138) destroyed Jerusalem is erroneus; Titus destroyed the city in AD 70 at the end of the Jewish War.
Pope St. Nicholas also ignores that the successors of St. James the Brother of God (much like those claiming the succession to Pope St. Nicholas fled to Avignon) took refuge in Pella, and then returned.  And the site of the Church of the Resurrection was incorporated into the city of Jerusalem before it was destroyed, by the walls of King Agrippa, who, as the NT tells us, dies in 44 (i.e. during the Patriarchate of St. James. Indeed, before the Council of Jerusalem).

Chapter XCIII.

You also ask which patriarch is second to that of Rome. According to what the holy Roman Church maintains, the canons of Nicaea indicate, the holy bishops of Rome defend, and reason itself dictates, the patriarch of Alexandria is the patriarch second to the pope.

He, of course, skips over that the canons of Constantinople I (the one whose Creed Pope St. Nicholas was seeking to replace in Bulgaria, imposing the filioque), and Chalcedon say otherwise, and the city of Constantinople didn't exist in the time of Nicea I, although the bishop of nearby Byantium attended IIRC.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

perhaps you meant "election of patriarchs"? Huh

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

!המשיח קם
perhaps you meant "election of patriarchs"? Huh
No. What I have written, I have written.  Bulgarian didn't have a patriarchate at the time.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:17:49 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: