OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The EO/OO Million Dollar Question  (Read 4067 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: May 04, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

the 'scoba' website does not contain the oriental orthodox churches (OO).
they are just as orthodox as the eastern orthodox churches (EO).
we had a disagreement in 451AD, but we're sorting it out now, and have officially stopped giving each other a hard time since 1990AD.
i apologise on behalf of our ancestors for the delay...
more details from 'orthodoxunity' website.
the 'scoba' website does not contain the oriental orthodox churches (OO).
they are just as orthodox as the eastern orthodox churches (EO).
Amen!
I suppose the question that is being begged is for those OO who say this is: would you become EO if you did not have an OO church readily available? Likewise, if our differences are so small, would you EO who feel the same become OO if that was your only option?

What role does communion play in defining the Orthodox faith?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »

I think the answer lies in 1 Cor 10:17

For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

So then the questions become "Is Christ on the altar?" and "Do we share what we serve on the altar?".

I would say that if one were to ask the above two questions about any two churches and come up with opposing answers, then something is wrong with the situation and should be corrected.

Just my opinion.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »

I know OO who attend and commune at EO churches because of their isolation, and I know of EO who attend and commune at OO churches because of their isolation.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:01:54 PM »

I know OO who attend and commune at EO churches because of their isolation, and I know of EO who attend and commune at OO churches because of their isolation.

Father Peter

Do you see anything wrong in this?
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »

I have Ethiopian (OO) brothers and sisters that commune with me at my EO parish as well Father.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:03:50 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with it, especially in the context of a lay person being isolated from their own community and seeking sacramental participation in an Orthodox church.

I think there is a need for some reserve in terms of priestly and episcopal concelebration, although this happens in some places. But I personally don't have a problem with lay inter-communion.

It has already been agreed in principle and practice in both the Antiochian and Alexandrian sees. Therefore it seems to me that it is not problematic. I don't believe that most EO and most OO believe anything different. The Synods of all the OO have accepted the view that the EO are Orthodox. So have some of the EO Synods.

I know several EO bishops who commune OO. I know OO bishops who commune EO.

I believe there is a different situation in communing laity and concelebration of clergy.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »

I think there is a need for some reserve in terms of priestly and episcopal concelebration, although this happens in some places. But I personally don't have a problem with lay inter-communion.

Can you give some examples?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »

Likewise, if our differences are so small, would you EO who feel the same become OO if that was your only option?

Yes, certainly Smiley
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »

Likewise, if our differences are so small, would you EO who feel the same become OO if that was your only option?

Yes, certainly Smiley
Same here.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »

Yes, certainly Smiley
Same here.
As would I.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »

Not sure what you mean by examples.

Lay communion of members of the other Orthodox community happens very widely.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »

You wrote that joint episcopal celebration between the EO and OO happens in some palces. Could you prove it?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:16:05 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »

Father,

Would an EO who becomes part of an OO church have to "renounce" the three post-schism EO Ecumenical Councils?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 04:31:52 PM »

It is the case that concelebrations are allowed for in the agreement between the Antiochian and Syrian Orthodox Churches.

I cannot say that episcopal concelebrations, I don't believe they have taken place, but they seem to be allowed for.

I would not expect an EO who became OO to renounce the latter councils, but view them in a moderated manner. This would especially apply to those aspects which condemned OO Fathers. It would be proper to view them as important Orthodox documents which should be understood in relation to the universal Orthodox Faith, and not only within the narrow confines of the historical EO historical narrative.

An OO may consider the latter councils important local Byzantine conciliar statements. To not be ecumenical is not the same as being of no value. But an OO would want to read them in their context and understand those aspects which are problematic to the OO Tradition. Constantinople 553, for instance, is almost entirely acceptable as it is, when taken as a document.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »

It is the case that concelebrations are allowed for in the agreement between the Antiochian and Syrian Orthodox Churches.

I cannot say that episcopal concelebrations, I don't believe they have taken place, but they seem to be allowed for.

I would not expect an EO who became OO to renounce the latter councils, but view them in a moderated manner. This would especially apply to those aspects which condemned OO Fathers. It would be proper to view them as important Orthodox documents which should be understood in relation to the universal Orthodox Faith, and not only within the narrow confines of the historical EO historical narrative.

An OO may consider the latter councils important local Byzantine conciliar statements. To not be ecumenical is not the same as being of no value. But an OO would want to read them in their context and understand those aspects which are problematic to the OO Tradition. Constantinople 553, for instance, is almost entirely acceptable as it is, when taken as a document.

I wonder if there will ever be a declared statement that when a person is anathematized in a council, this can actually be an anathematization of the perceived teaching of that person regardless of that person's actual beliefs.

Ex: We anathematize Nietzsche for his Nihilism (though I don't know under what circumstances such a thing would occur). Many philosophers subsequently declare that Nietzsche himself did not teach or believe what is condemned today as Nihilism. It is irrelevant, however, for the anathematization, what Nietzsche actually believed, because we are referring instead to the teaching commonly associated with him.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:40:48 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »

Please, do not write so definite statements if you are not sure.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »

Well to a great extent I agree with you.

While I do entirely believe that Nestorius had a defective Christology I am more concerned that none of my congregation embrace or profess Nestorianism than whether or not Nestorius did or did not believe any particular doctrines. He is beyond the judgement of men and must stand before the Just Judge who knows all things.

It would seem to me to be more important that we agree, for instance, that Nestorianism is a false Christology, and why, than that we need to agree on the same narrative of history. Though in the case of Nestorius we probably do accept the same narrative as well as share the same rejection of his views.

Father Peter

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »

Well to a great extent I agree with you.

While I do entirely believe that Nestorius had a defective Christology I am more concerned that none of my congregation embrace or profess Nestorianism than whether or not Nestorius did or did not believe any particular doctrines. He is beyond the judgement of men and must stand before the Just Judge who knows all things.

It would seem to me to be more important that we agree, for instance, that Nestorianism is a false Christology, and why, than that we need to agree on the same narrative of history. Though in the case of Nestorius we probably do accept the same narrative as well as share the same rejection of his views.

Father Peter
Then, perhaps, Father, and this is just speculation,

The condemnations of OO Fathers at the Council of Chalcedon could be perceived in the same way by the EO. As condemnations of their perceived monophysitism rather than the actual teachings of those Fathers themselves.

Then, perhaps, and once again, this is just speculation,

They could begin to refer to these Fathers as "blessed" as they do to Augustine.

Perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:49:23 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »

They could begin to refer to these Fathers as "blessed" as they do to Augustine.

The Orthodox "Blessed" is not subordinate to "Saint" (like in the RC Church) but it's the kind of "Saint" (like "Martyr" or "Confessor").

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »

The Orthodox "Blessed" is not subordinate to "Saint" (like in the RC Church) but it's the kind of "Saint" (like "Martyr" or "Confessor").
Oh, my mistake.

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »

That's right. "Blessed" is a title traditionally attributed to fools-for-Christ. AFAIK, attributing it to people who are locally venerated but not glorified yet (like Fr. Seraphim of Platina) or to people whom we consider saintly but whose teachings seem to a bit problematic (like Bp. Augustine of Hippo) is a rather modern invention and probably a RC influence.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »

And Saint Augustine IS a saint in the Orthodox Church, for those unaware.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »

I have read sources that said that he is highly respected but not a saint. Where might they have gotten that idea?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »

Whomever you may have read was misinformed.
For example:
I love Fr. Romanides works, but for his edition of Ancestral Sin in English he expressed the wish that St. Augustine be referred to only as Augustine. Not even a Blessed. Augustine's teachings have been really misconstrued, and have lead to a lot of heresy, but that doesn't mean he is a heretic. And he is most definitely an Orthodox Saint.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:11:31 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »

FWIW, Our family attends the Greek Othodox Church in our city (due to the fact that the nearest OO Church is 3 hours away.) My sons and I even serve at the altar, but we do not commune. The Priest at the Greek Church has told us that he will give us the Scaraments anytime we wish to receive. My EOTC Priest has told me that it is ok for us to attend the Church and serve at the altar, but he instructed us not to receive the Eucharist. When he returns from Ethiopia, I am going to ask him if he may grant us permission to commune in the EO Church. Of course, I will follow his counsel.

I have no doubt that I am in the presence of Christ in any Orthodox Church. I will always defend the Tewahedo Christological language, but I will never allow this issue to divide me from my EO brethren. But that's just my opinion.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »

I have read sources that said that he is highly respected but not a saint. Where might they have gotten that idea?

While Orthodox tradition is clear IMO that Augustine is a saint, nonetheless, if I recall correctly, St. Augustine was only added to some of the Orthodox calendars in the 20th century. Perhaps some people got the idea from this that he had not previously been considered a saint, and that the idea was an innovation. On the other hand, some people just genuinely seem to dislike him, and it's possible that such people took their own feelings/opinions and just assumed that Augustine couldn't be considered a saint because of some of his theology.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:17:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »

Ah, thanks for the clarification, men. Although I didn't agree with everything he said, Augustine was one of my favorite saints as a Catholic.  Good to hear that he's also revered as such in the Orthodox Church.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »

I don't know, but he's on the calendar.

I think people like to give him a hard time because of a combination of Protestant reformers (Calvin for example) who claim him as support for their views and being (falsely) credited by some for not correctly teaching the procession of the Holy Spirit.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »

Ah, thanks for the clarification, men. Although I didn't agree with everything he said, Augustine was one of my favorite saints as a Catholic.  Good to hear that he's also revered as such in the Orthodox Church.

One of my son's middle names is Augustine. I gave him that name long before I became Orthodox. And I have never regretted it.  Wink

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:57 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Father,

Would an EO who becomes part of an OO church have to "renounce" the three post-schism EO Ecumenical Councils?

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church essentially, yes , that would be the case.  I'm not quite sure about any necessary Reordination but I'm sure it would be required to renounce such Councils if the EO priest had previously personally confessed adherence to them, as the EOTC very much rejects any Councils after the first three. 

In regards to the comments of Ethiopians communing at EO parishes, this is a common practice, one which I have no feeings necessarily against, however the discipline of the EOTC is for Tewahedo Christians not commune outside of our sister Oriental Orthodox.  I pray for the inevitable unity of the Church, but at this time part of the Will of God is that we learn through a prayerful effort to adhere to His Will in our lives, as it is revealed day by day through the Church.  If the Church continues with closed communion, then that is the current Will of God in the matter, and any feelings we may have we need to take to prayer.  However, just because we do not commune should not stop us from fellowship as sincere Christian brothers and sisters.

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Father,

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church essentially, yes , that would be the case.  I'm not quite sure about any necessary Reordination but I'm sure it would be required to renounce such Councils if the EO priest had previously personally confessed adherence to them, as the EOTC very much rejects any Councils after the first three. 

In regards to the comments of Ethiopians communing at EO parishes, this is a common practice, one which I have no feeings necessarily against, however the discipline of the EOTC is for Tewahedo Christians not commune outside of our sister Oriental Orthodox.  I pray for the inevitable unity of the Church, but at this time part of the Will of God is that we learn through a prayerful effort to adhere to His Will in our lives, as it is revealed day by day through the Church.  If the Church continues with closed communion, then that is the current Will of God in the matter, and any feelings we may have we need to take to prayer.  However, just because we do not commune should not stop us from fellowship as sincere Christian brothers and sisters.

Stay Blessed,
Habte Selassie

Well said dear brother.

Selam

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »

I don't know enough to tell if these are priests or bishops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aU_tehf9Dg

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »

Whomever you may have read was misinformed.
For example:
I love Fr. Romanides works, but for his edition of Ancestral Sin in English he expressed the wish that St. Augustine be referred to only as Augustine. Not even a Blessed. Augustine's teachings have been really misconstrued, and have lead to a lot of heresy, but that doesn't mean he is a heretic. And he is most definitely an Orthodox Saint.

Yes, several Ecumenical Councils name him as one of the Fathers.  I do not agree with everything Augustine writes, but I do not see him as a heretic.  Not even his critics, St. Vincent of Lerins and St. John Cassian, called him a heretic, so far as I'm aware. 
ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »

I read stuff like what this link provides and I am left wondering about the communion question overall. where do things stand so to speak, offically (whatever that means)?

http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/east_orth.aspx

The tone is a bit sharp but it may make sense. Any comments?

"The designation "Oriental Orthodox" itself clearly illustrates the ecumenistic tendency to obfuscate essential theological differences with euphemisms. "
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:54:20 PM by ipm » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »

I read stuff like what this link provides and I am left wondering about the communion question overall. where do things stand so to speak, offically (whatever that means)?

http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/east_orth.aspx

If two groups who said the same thing using different terminology were separated for 1500 years, wouldn't you expect a conservative faction within each to react with skepticism to such a claim?

Isn't it, in fact, a good sign, revealing that the two churches share a commitment to avoid false union at all costs?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:54:20 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

ipm

Faith: Serbian Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »

Fasle union is not good. I am not advocating one way or the other in terms of steps to take. I know little of this issue.

By the way, did you notice that in modern management-encrusted English no one has problems any more. They have issues.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:01:09 PM by ipm » Logged
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

The article doesn't really address the Christology "issue" Cheesy, but claims differences.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »

Fwiw, there is a small booklet available that discusses the claimed theological differences, titled: The Non-Chalcedonian Heretics: A Contribution to the Dialogue Concerning the “Orthodoxy” of the Non-Chalcedonians. The ECSC has it for $6, in case anyone is interested.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »

Both that booklet and orthodoxinfo.com contain misinformation about the OO's. 

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »

Just to make sure no one misunderstands, I am not saying that I agree with the information in the booklet (or orthodoxinfo articles on the subject), I just wanted to bring up a source that tries (using patristic quotes, history, etc.) to make theological arguments against the idea that the EO and OO have pretty much the same beliefs; However, perhaps I should have said that if you are going to read such info, it'd also be good to read some literature from the opposite side.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:46:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »

Personally, I would feel comfortable attending Liturgy at an OO temple, but would not receive Sacraments unless I was in situations similar to those previously mentioned and I had the blessing of my spiritual father and bishop.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 12:15:08 AM »

I think that after I join the Orthodox Church, I would be in a similar position.  If I would up in a place where (for some bizzare reason) there was an OO Church but not an EO, I would only partake of communion with the permission of my bishop and spiritual father, and the priest and his bishop.  Of course, I also intend to do all I can to live only within a reasonable distance of an EO Church, for the rest of my life.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »

the three post-schism EO Ecumenical Councils?

Four of the seven councils are relevant:

1. Chalcedon
2. Constantinople II
3. Constantinople III
4. Nicaea II

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:48 AM »

I think there is a need for some reserve in terms of priestly and episcopal concelebration, although this happens in some places...

I cannot say that episcopal concelebrations, I don't believe they have taken place...

Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:24:16 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »

I don't know enough to tell if these are priests or bishops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aU_tehf9Dg

Salpy, this is just a prayer service. The issue at hand was intercommunion.

Tags: unity 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: