Author Topic: Video of the Day  (Read 477039 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Video of the Day
« Reply #2160 on: February 18, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
I was taught during my half year Indology studies that there were indeed some groups from the steppes that come to India, and if I'm not mistaken, some other members of these groups chose some parts of Europe.
Precisely! These were the Indo-Europeans.

I'm not sure about it; I remember that sanksrit has quite a lot of consonants (but maybe not so much as Hindi, that because of some words borrowed from Arabic has to have them more, I think); and maybe generally the pronunciation over the centuries has been being simplified and unified, sometiems the opposite process happen too.  So, I woudln't say that's a proof for something.
It does, but all Indo-Europeans languages either clashed velars with palatovelars (most did) or with labiovelars (Sanskrit and Slavic languages did). This is why night and eight have similar endings in so many European languages (noite/oito, notte/otto, oíche/ocht, natë/etë), but not in Slavic languages (compare noch/vosem) or Sanskrit (nakta/asta or something like that).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:31:03 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #2161 on: February 22, 2018, 03:25:59 AM »
Some interview from the 70s with a woman who was one the 144,000 Jehovah's Witness... until she got disfellowshipped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=4qg2-aDS9PM
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2162 on: February 23, 2018, 04:53:52 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:54:31 PM by Volnutt »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2163 on: February 23, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »
Advice for creating good, memorable sci-fi/fantasy character names https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkluGoKS1-Q&pbjreload=10

Really, all of Chris Fox's videos seem pretty good.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2164 on: February 26, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2165 on: February 26, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »
LOL

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #2167 on: February 26, 2018, 08:07:11 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3uO2lO9JDk

"Bullfrog Dad Protects His Tadpoles."
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2168 on: March 02, 2018, 01:33:12 AM »
Bobsheaux's review of Superman's Metropolis, a comic that combines Superman with the 1920's German movie.

It's very flawed as Bob points out, but I still have a lot of love for it (still need to read the sequels, though).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 01:33:54 AM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2170 on: March 04, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
One of my new favorite youtube channels is Lazy Game Reviews. Along with the review content, he has a lot of neat things on the history of PCs, the internet, companies, etc. Like this one on the history of Dell. Or this one on the history of Minesweeper and its... surprisingly intense competitive scene!

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2171 on: March 06, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
Or this one on the history of Minesweeper and its... surprisingly intense competitive scene!

I play minesweeper competitively with others on a shared computer during wait times for data to be generated.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2172 on: March 06, 2018, 11:36:43 PM »
Or this one on the history of Minesweeper and its... surprisingly intense competitive scene!

I play minesweeper competitively with others on a shared computer during wait times for data to be generated.

Nice. What's your best time?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2173 on: March 10, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
Probably it can be opened only in Europe, but, anyway - video made by Polish National TV about foot pilgrimage from Warsaw to the Holy Mount Grabarka from the last August (that was 15th pilgrimage, and personally, my 9th pilgrimage):
https://vod.tvp.pl/video/programy-redakcji-ekumenicznej,w-drodze-do-chrystusa,35860732

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2174 on: March 11, 2018, 06:14:03 PM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2175 on: March 13, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2176 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #2177 on: March 13, 2018, 07:29:59 PM »
One of the most revered spiritual fathers and the greatest missionary of the "Serbian Orthodox Church -  the Patriarchate of Pec" - monk Arseniye. His autiobiography:

God and Rock & Roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcgRiyS8otc
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:32:16 PM by Nathanael »
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2178 on: March 18, 2018, 04:03:22 PM »
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:03:58 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2179 on: March 20, 2018, 05:19:36 AM »
The Dom reviews YOU: Episode 1. A YouTube reviewer reviews works submitted to him by his subscribers- drawings, videos, and sample chapters of novels.

Most of the things he reviews sound/look excellent, a couple sound awful (and it's hilarious watching him try to "polite Englishman" his way through the crap).

Language warning.

Also, Arachne and Asteriktos, I'm guessing that you two in particular will love Dom's other videos. He specializes in comparing movies based on books to their source material.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2180 on: March 25, 2018, 12:04:06 AM »

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #2181 on: March 31, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
RISEN33 - A Lenten Documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDvLuTULD0

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2182 on: March 31, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
raocow's LP of Cuphead began today. Should be interesting (to me, at least lol).

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 10:52:45 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
« Reply #2184 on: April 04, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
The BEST documentary of the Holy Week from the brotherhood of Monastery of Decani (from Kosovo) - "The Conqueror of death ":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLsLyYNAAwQ
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:18:05 PM by Nathanael »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2186 on: April 05, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
I like it, but I also feel like I'm being pandered to (not by LGR, but by the game makers)...

Offline Apostolos

• Protopentekaidekarchos
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Church of Greece
« Reply #2187 on: April 08, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »
The celebration of the Lord's Resurrection in downtown Athens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdTlAZtfmto

And in Vrontados on the island of Chios:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGFfq6LJ1M
Ἦχος Βαρύς

Ὁπλιτικῆς φάλαγγος οἰκεῖον μέλος
ὁ τοῦ βάρους σὺ κλῆσιν εἰληφῶς φέρεις.
Ἧχον τὸν ἁπλοῦν τὸν βάρους ἐπώνυμον
ὁ τοὺς λογισμοὺς ἐν βοαῖς μισῶν φιλεῖ.
Ἀνδρῶν δὲ ἄσμα δευτερότριτε βρέμεις.
Ὧν ποικίλος δὲ τοὺς ἁπλούς ἔχεις φίλους.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2188 on: April 09, 2018, 01:23:14 AM »

Amazing! Antiochian Orthodox Brazilians have this firework custom too. Apparently they used to take guns to church and shoot up, but the government started to get a bit onto them for that and they switched to something safer. It seems to be still a thing in their homeland, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1aQKTqVpeY

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2189 on: April 09, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »

Amazing! Antiochian Orthodox Brazilians have this firework custom too. Apparently they used to take guns to church and shoot up, but the government started to get a bit onto them for that and they switched to something safer. It seems to be still a thing in their homeland, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1aQKTqVpeY

In Serbia there is gun shooting too. In Poland Catholic and (less) Orthodox use petards, so it's more about noise than light ;)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2190 on: April 10, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2191 on: April 11, 2018, 04:02:57 AM »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2192 on: April 13, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
Paschal procession in Al-Mashrafa (Syria):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVCvoF5HnV4

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2193 on: April 13, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
Looks like everybody had a great time :)

Do the machetes symbolize anything?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2194 on: April 14, 2018, 07:04:22 AM »
Looks like everybody had a great time :)

Do the machetes symbolize anything?

No, they're something festal, also used in some dances.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2195 on: April 14, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
Oh, neat.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2196 on: April 14, 2018, 07:14:49 PM »
This could also be cross posted to "Things that Cheer you Up"- I really enjoy when a new Terrible Writing Advice video comes out.

I'm also glad that JP started linking in the video descriptions to his honest thoughts on the subjects.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2197 on: April 15, 2018, 08:23:36 PM »
Why is the other video watching thread locked?

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #2198 on: April 16, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »
Just started watching my first Jim Sterling video in quite some time. When did he change his theme song back to "Born Depressed?"

Can't say I mind (though I did also like "Stress"), but I hope the fans didn't hound him into doing it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #2199 on: April 16, 2018, 01:33:13 PM »

Which one?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2200 on: April 16, 2018, 01:44:54 PM »

Which one?

The one here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,72154.0.html

This thread had more serious vids posted in it, so when that other one started I began to post the more frivolous vids in the new one instead of here.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #2201 on: April 16, 2018, 01:50:26 PM »
I blame my dumb thumbs and my smartphone...I unlocked it.

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #2202 on: April 16, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
Look what i found on youtube

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2203 on: April 16, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
I blame my dumb thumbs and my smartphone...I unlocked it.

Ah, thanks :)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2204 on: April 16, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »