OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 01:49:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newspapers  (Read 485 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: September 14, 2014, 12:38:25 PM »

I  got through an important initation rite to adulthood today. I ordered a newspaper. I have been reading newspapers from internet for free for years and circumvented the blockage which they have placed on reading but I started to feel a bit shamed over it since I should be paying for it. I kind of miss an actual paper newspaper but as it's cheaper and enviromental-friendly (less paper waste) I ordered a digital version.

Anyway, just thought to ask what newspapers you're ordering and/or reading?

Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »

The Times of London and Sunday Times
The Independent and Independent on Sunday
The Hindustan Times
The Birmingham Mail

Occasionally:

The New York Times
The Jerusalem Post
The Daily Telegraph

As well as dipping in and out of the various news channels, of course.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »

I read the Tampa Bay Times, the BBC (I know it's not a paper, but I like it), Newsday, which is from New York, and sometimes papers from other cities for local stories.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »

I usually read newspapers in the university library.

De Volkskrant
NRC
Trouw

Occasionally:

The Daily Telegraph
Le Monde
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:11:52 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

The mister has the Daily Telegraph delivered to his tablet daily. I have neither the time nor the inclination to read papers, so I just do the occasional drop by To Vima and Kathimerini, in order to keep in touch with things back home.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »

i believe that it is critical to order your local paper in print, because the print newspaper is something that should be maintainted as a permentant recod of events, much easier than a digital version

SCREW BON JOVI!
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »

I usually read newspapers in the university library.

I used to do that too but for some reason it just doesn't feel the same as reading a paper at home.

The Jerusalem Post

Interesting choice. Do you live in Israel?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:25:59 PM by Alpo » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »

i believe that it is critical to order your local paper in print, because the print newspaper is something that should be maintainted as a permentant recod of events, much easier than a digital version

Neither of my local newspapers is worth the paper they are printed on. They are only better than The Sun in that they have fewer pages, so less drivel.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »

I live in 2014 and therefore I do not read newspapers.  angel

(though from time to time I read articles published online by the two local Pittsburgh papers, which I generally find out about via facebook)

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 03:26:14 PM »

What's a "newspaper"? Shocked

My wife reads something called "The Washington Post".  Well, the sports page anyway.  I get all the news I need from her. Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »

My wife reads something called "The Washington Post".  Well, the sports page anyway.  I get all the news I need from her. Grin

No love for the Baltimore Sun?

SCREW BON JOVI!
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »

I need to get some imported intl. Newspapers and maybe the New York Times.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:29:53 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »

I need to get some imported Newspapers and maybe the New York Times.

Yeah. Overseas ones are fun.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 10:30:31 AM »

My wife reads something called "The Washington Post".  Well, the sports page anyway.  I get all the news I need from her. Grin

No.  I hear it makes a great emergency substitute for toilet paper, though. Grin
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:31:30 AM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:54 AM »

My wife reads something called "The Washington Post".  Well, the sports page anyway.  I get all the news I need from her. Grin

No.  I hear it makes a great emergency substitute for toilet paper, though. Grin

A bit harsh on delicate parts, I'd have thought? Wrapping up your chips, possibly.  Cheesy
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

I live in 2014 and therefore I do not read newspapers.  angel

(though from time to time I read articles published online by the two local Pittsburgh papers, which I generally find out about via facebook)
I concur.

I remember as a kid my dad always getting the morning newspaper. Our house was always full of newspapers sitting around because he never wanted to throw them out in case he needed to read them again or needed to find some coupon.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:40:52 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »

No.  I hear it makes a great emergency substitute for toilet paper, though. Grin

A bit harsh on delicate parts, I'd have thought? Wrapping up your chips, possibly.  Cheesy

The Baltimoron Sun is harsh on anything it comes in contact with.  And I did say "emergency substitute". Grin  Now, since it doesn't even enter our home, for us the possibilities are purely theoretical. Smiley  Besides, who wants newsprint on their chips these days, anyway?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:07:10 PM by J Michael » Logged

Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »

No.  I hear it makes a great emergency substitute for toilet paper, though. Grin

A bit harsh on delicate parts, I'd have thought? Wrapping up your chips, possibly.  Cheesy

The Baltimoron Sun is harsh on anything it comes in contact with.  And I did say "emergency substitute". Grin  Now, since it doesn't even enter our home, for us the possibilities are purely theoretical. Smiley  Besides, who wants newsprint on their chips these days, anyway?

Almost as palatable as newsprint on your rear end!  Cheesy
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »

What an interesting turn of phrase. Grin

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »

I quite enjoy the Baltimore Sun articles I read, personally. PLus their paywall is so easy to get around

SCREW BON JOVI!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »

I quite enjoy the Baltimore Sun articles I read, personally. PLus their paywall is so easy to get around

Well, there's no accounting for taste.  Roll Eyes Grin

Isn't getting around their paywall a form of theft?  Though, I can understand why you wouldn't *want* to actually pay for it... Grin

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

Isn't getting around their paywall a form of theft?  Though, I can understand why you wouldn't *want* to actually pay for it... Grin
They do not have a paywall setup for articles that they have shared on social media. As long as it comes from a social media source, then there is no way pay to get around, so all I do is put it on social media
And technically maybe, but I would pay for it if I had the choice to get a print edition

SCREW BON JOVI!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »

They do not have a paywall setup for articles that they have shared on social media. As long as it comes from a social media source, then there is no way pay to get around, so all I do is put it on social media
And technically maybe, but I would pay for it if I had the choice to get a print edition

Okay.  I won't push this any further, other than to just repeat...there's no accounting for taste. Wink

Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 01:52:39 PM »

Amazing how a thread on which newspapers you read somehow elevated itself into a knockabout toilet humour thread. Left me feeling quite flushed.  Shocked
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »

Amazing how a thread on which newspapers you read somehow elevated itself into a knockabout toilet humour thread. Left me feeling quite flushed.  Shocked

You've been for some time and you're still suprised? This is OC.net. An internet forum filled with bored men. Of course it turns into toiket humour.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 05:24:40 PM »

You've been for some time and you're still suprised? This is OC.net. An internet forum filled with bored men. Of course it turns into toiket humour.

Are there no bored women here?!?!?!?!?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:20 PM »

Hi there.

littlepilgrim64
Elder

Faith: Pre-catechumen

Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »

Hi there.

Second!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »

Hi there.

Second!

This is indeed encouraging.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »

I live in 2014 and therefore I do not read newspapers.  angel

I concur.

I remember as a kid my dad always getting the morning newspaper. Our house was always full of newspapers sitting around because he never wanted to throw them out in case he needed to read them again or needed to find some coupon.
I always know when we've run a casino coupon because we get loads of people coming through the front door asking to buy 20 copies.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »

I miss the sensation of writing out crosswords by hand. Some things really were better in the paper days.

Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »

I miss the sensation of writing out crosswords by hand. Some things really were better in the paper days.

Agreed...
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:24 PM »

Agreed...

Why, when there are still real, physical, made-out-of-paper-and-newsprint newspapers?  Not to mention whole real physical, made-out-of-paper-and-ink books of nothing BUT crosswords?

There's really no need to go without. Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: