Author Topic: A thread for ignorant Europeans  (Read 5115 times)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
Re: A thread for ignorant Europeans
« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2015, 08:53:31 AM »
Can't you send your children to a public school outside of the district you live in?

Yes, but it takes dealing with bureaucracy and there is no guarantee you will be granted your wish. 
At times children have purposefully been sent to schools outside their district to further the aim of desegregation, particularly in the South.
This required police officers to accompany the children since some white people became violent about black children attending white schools.

How 1960's you are! Still have the lava lamp, beads and black light posters too?
If anything, now the cops go to many city schools due to shootings, teacher muggings, or to calibrate the metal detectors students walk through.

LOL, let's also forget how wonderful Bostonians handled it in the mid- to late-1970s.

Yes, I love my flag too, just not rammed into that guy's gut.
I suppose the North did triumph, eh?
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
They can vote the way you want but still practice nepotism or help themselves to public money.

True. But weed, adultery or any other usual moralistic outrage in the media is not an indication of that. I could vote for someone who has smoked a joint but I wouldn't vote for an oligarch.

There's obviously a difference between smoking weed and stealing €40.000 from a fund for the homeless, or being friends and dining with notoriously corrupt businessmen and politians.

Yeah, well, you may be right. It takes a Real Man to eat with tax collectors and those that deal in silver for profit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:59:34 AM by LenInSebastopol »
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
Can't you send your children to a public school outside of the district you live in?

Yes, but it takes dealing with bureaucracy and there is no guarantee you will be granted your wish. 
At times children have purposefully been sent to schools outside their district to further the aim of desegregation, particularly in the South.
This required police officers to accompany the children since some white people became violent about black children attending white schools.

How 1960's you are! Still have the lava lamp, beads and black light posters too?
If anything, now the cops go to many city schools due to shootings, teacher muggings, or to calibrate the metal detectors students walk through.

LOL, let's also forget how wonderful Bostonians handled it in the mid- to late-1970s.

Yes, I love my flag too, just not rammed into that guy's gut.
I suppose the North did triumph, eh?

Equal prejudice for all.  Amen.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2015, 09:01:03 AM »
Ouch.

I fear too that we don't evolve, outside of Christ.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Eastern America
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Why do you guys still cling to your variant of the imperial system when the metric system is easier to use?

Because it isn't, for several reasons, the most salient of which is that we all know the Imperial system and it's hard to learn a new one.

This is like saying "Why do you guys still cling to the English language when Spanish is so much easier?"

While it's true that Spanish is probably an easier language to learn, objectively speaking, if you start with zero prior knowledge, most Americans already do speak English and don't speak Spanish, so it would not be "easier" for all of us to learn Spanish than to continue speaking English.

1) you can learn metric in an hour

That depends what you mean by "learn." I highly doubt you can internalize the metric system to the degree most of us have done with Imperial in an hour. Well, maybe you can. I doubt I can. I know beyond doubt that most Americans could not.

2) if you are doing calculations involving measurements then metric is easier to use even if you don't 'know it'

True -- but most people don't have to do complex calculations involving measurements on a regular basis. It's far more common for them to need to eyeball things and get them in the ballpark, and/or have an intuitive idea of the meaning of the measurements -- and for most Americans that's far easier in the Imperial system.

3) refusing to force kids to grow up using metric just because we adults are intellectually lazy doesn't seem like a good idea

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I was asked why we do as we do and I answered.

However, since you raise the point, see my argument about adopting Spanish. Also, Imperial units are part of our patrimony.

4) mm/cm pwn inches

Completely subjective. I disagree. Apparently whoever is in charge of American measurements does too.

5) scientists, medicals, etc. already us metric, with glee

And they are welcome to it. It makes sense for them. For Joe the Plumber not so much.

I despise metric baking. 1 cup is much easier than 250ml and 1/2 is easier than 125ml

Same with tea/table spoons

weight metric though? I do prefer grammes to lb/oz though with a scale it's easy to flip

F Gives you precision, and for weather wise I don't like the idea of negative degrees at all. SO my personal preference if we would switch would be to K, but that'll never(and shouldn't) happen

distance: take it or leave it I can do either

My height i do know and I'm okay with in either system

Weight though, saying I'm 107kg makes me feel a lot better than 230some haha

Also, i prefer using fractions and things such as 12 in=ft and 3ft=1yard than forcing decimilization

Offline TheTrisagion

• Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #185 on: Yesterday at 09:58:04 PM »
Why do you guys still cling to your variant of the imperial system when the metric system is easier to use?

Because it isn't, for several reasons, the most salient of which is that we all know the Imperial system and it's hard to learn a new one.

This is like saying "Why do you guys still cling to the English language when Spanish is so much easier?"

While it's true that Spanish is probably an easier language to learn, objectively speaking, if you start with zero prior knowledge, most Americans already do speak English and don't speak Spanish, so it would not be "easier" for all of us to learn Spanish than to continue speaking English.

2) if you are doing calculations involving measurements then metric is easier to use even if you don't 'know it'

3) refusing to force kids to grow up using metric just because we adults are intellectually lazy doesn't seem like a good idea

4) mm/cm pwn inches

Still, there is something to be said for measuring something with your foot and it being a foot long, squishing my thumb down and it being an inch wide or touching something from my fingertip to my chestbone and it being a yard. I can't do that with millimeters or centimeters.  :P
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #186 on: Yesterday at 10:43:03 PM »

4) mm/cm pwn inches

Still, there is something to be said for measuring something with your foot and it being a foot long, squishing my thumb down and it being an inch wide or touching something from my fingertip to my chestbone and it being a yard. I can't do that with millimeters or centimeters.  :P

That's not what I've heard . . .
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #187 on: Yesterday at 10:44:59 PM »
Well, I can't very well go whipping that out to measure stuff, now can I? That's how people get chucked in jail.  ;)
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man?