OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:11:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I be offended??  (Read 485 times) Average Rating: 0
RehamG

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« on: April 06, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »

Because I slightly do. I love my fiance, but one of our random conversations brought up the topic of why he decided to even have an interest in someone like me. Rather than say it was due to my nice personality, pretty eyes, sense of humor or something that made sense he says....

"I wanted to save your soul. I didn't expect to love you."

Yes. Am I looking at this the wrong way? I was not Christian when we met but still, that one stings a bit.

St. Monica, pray for us.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »

I'd be creeped out if anyone talked to me like that.  You have every right to be offended.   Smiley
RehamG

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »

Not creeped out but maybe it was an ego hit?

I probably typed it in a less than stellar sounding way lol, but that was the gist of it. English also is not his native language. Bah!

St. Monica, pray for us.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »

Ego hit in what way?   Huh

Ah, I see.  My apologies.  angel
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:48:29 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »

I suppose there is always the question of why did he stay talking to someone like you.

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
DeniseDenise
OC.net guru

Faith: Now with added Catechumenness!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »

Ego hit, because every girl would like to be loved for herself....

not because she was a soul to save...or a challenge...or anything like that.

Here's hoping my defense at the dread judgement seat of Christ doesn't turn out to be 'well I argued about what day it was.....a lot'
RehamG

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »

Ego hit, because every girl would like to be loved for herself....

not because she was a soul to save...or a challenge...or anything like that.

There ya go.

St. Monica, pray for us.
RehamG

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »

I suppose there is always the question of why did he stay talking to someone like you.

Somehow I never bothered to ask that one. But after being together 1.5 years there must be a good reason. Maybe I'm being a whiny baby though, no one loves anyone from moment one really, and in the beginning we were friends who discussed religion. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:52:25 PM by RehamG » Logged

St. Monica, pray for us.
DeniseDenise
OC.net guru

Faith: Now with added Catechumenness!

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »

I will say..its not the nicest thing ever said....

mainly because men are putzes...and manage to put their foot in their mouth often...

however...how many other people has he met over the years that he didn't decide to 'save'?  There was something about you that made him wish to save you.

Here's hoping my defense at the dread judgement seat of Christ doesn't turn out to be 'well I argued about what day it was.....a lot'
RehamG

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »

I will say..its not the nicest thing ever said....

mainly because men are putzes...and manage to put their foot in their mouth often...

however...how many other people has he met over the years that he didn't decide to 'save'?  There was something about you that made him wish to save you.

Never thought of it that way.

St. Monica, pray for us.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 10:34:30 PM »

Did he mean he wanted to save your soul at first, but then fell in love after getting to know you, or does it have a more negative connotation?  Better make sure.
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »

Your fiance is Egyptian, you said?

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
Nephi
Archon

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »

Because I slightly do. I love my fiance, but one of our random conversations brought up the topic of why he decided to even have an interest in someone like me. Rather than say it was due to my nice personality, pretty eyes, sense of humor or something that made sense he says....

Yes. Am I looking at this the wrong way? I was not Christian when we met but still, that one stings a bit.

Well, did he mean that he started pursuing a romantic interest in you because he wanted to save your soul, or did he just start talking to you for that reason? If it's the latter that's not so bad, but if the former... that's honestly kind of strange.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »

Well, did he mean that he started pursuing a romantic interest in you because he wanted to save your soul, or did he just start talking to you for that reason? If it's the latter that's not so bad, but if the former... that's honestly kind of strange.

A Christian who shows true love wants for his love to be with him in heaven.
This is kind of a unique Orthodox way of looking at marriage.
In the West, people marry until death.
In the East, people marry for eternity, so love wills for the salvation of one's spouse.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

Orthodox Christian and twisty puzzle collector

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »

From what you've said about your history with him, it sounds like his initial interest in you was as a friend; he wanted to save your soul through your talks about religion. After awhile, he realized that he loved you. The rest, as they say, is history.

You should realize that not all guys are the most poetic romantics in the world. You asked him a question (a fair one), and he probably gave the most honest answer he could think of. I don't think he meant to hurt your feelings. Actually, I think it's kind of cute; he basically said that he stumbled across something much deeper than he initially thought he would. It's kind of "romantic comedy" in its own way.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »

crucial question: did he say "I didn't expect to love you." or "I didn't expect to fall in love with you."?

Proverbs 22:7
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11:39 AM »

Every man wants to be the rescuer, the hero, of the relationship. 

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »

Hey, it's not as bad as my friend got from her husband, "I only married you because you came along at the exact time my dog died. You filled the void left by Betsy."

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »

Looking at the question as well as the answer, and taking into consideration that English isn't his first language, he probably took your question literally - why did you have an interest in me?  He probably put this question in a specific place and time - why did you initially have an interest in me.  Thus - I wanted to save your soul, I never expected to love you.  He probably came into things as a friendship, specifically one of a missionary sort, he didn't go into things hoping to woo you.  I don't think that he is saying that all you are to him is a saved soul, he is just assuming that you know he loves you.

Generally with men, you don't have to look for double meanings in what we say.  We tend to mean what we say, especially if we go to the effort of translating it in our heads into a foreign tongue.  

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »

Perhaps. But I daresay, not many women like to think of themselves as a "project." Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't want someone to say it to me.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »

I don't think that he is saying that all you are to him is a saved soul, he is just assuming that you know he loves you.

That reminded me of my father-in-law who told his wife, "I told you I loved you when we got married. If anything changes, I'll let you know."

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 09:29:54 AM »

Perhaps. But I daresay, not many women like to think of themselves as a "project." Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't want someone to say it to me.

Indeed. George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion comes to mind.
RehamG

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »

Your fiance is Egyptian, you said?

Yes. I was Muslim when we met.

St. Monica, pray for us.
RehamG

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »

Not the former. He was my friend for a long time before, no romantic interest to start.

St. Monica, pray for us.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »

But I daresay, not many women like to think of themselves as a "project." Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't want someone to say it to me.

Many men feel the same way.  Wink

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Lion of Judah, Lion of Arabs, Lion of Everyone

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »

Looking at the question as well as the answer, and taking into consideration that English isn't his first language, he probably took your question literally - why did you have an interest in me?  He probably put this question in a specific place and time - why did you initially have an interest in me.  Thus - I wanted to save your soul, I never expected to love you.  He probably came into things as a friendship, specifically one of a missionary sort, he didn't go into things hoping to woo you.  I don't think that he is saying that all you are to him is a saved soul, he is just assuming that you know he loves you.

This is more or less how I read the situation in the OP. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »

But maybe he wanted to save you because he thought you were smokin' hot.

He probably didn't want to save some random ugly girl. Trust me on this.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:34:46 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 04:40:33 PM »

I don't think that he is saying that all you are to him is a saved soul, he is just assuming that you know he loves you.

That reminded me of my father-in-law who told his wife, "I told you I loved you when we got married. If anything changes, I'll let you know."
Smart man.  My father-in-law is the same way. Grin

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »

I know we are all crowd sourcing everything these days, from freezer to odometer repairs, I wouldn't let such stuff become the subject of the voices of the rabble, especially around here. I mean nearly every response in this thread was a groaner.

You got offended. OK. It doesn't sound like it's anything that is going to put the relationship into jeopardy. OK.

You are allowed to be offended by what someone says, even if that someone meant something entirely different than what you thought they did. Why are you allowed? Because you were offended.

Feelings, thoughts, and emotions are not the things of moral investigation, outside the nearly perfected lives we read about when looking at the lives of the Saints or the members of oc.net.

What such feelings, thoughts, and emotions are for the rest of us are exactly what we do with them. Perhaps you let this offense go. Perhaps it hurts enough to bring it up. If you do either, then I would suggest you do so in the spirit of charity and in order to draw closer to the one whom you love.

Pain gets too much press around here as some spiritual good (a lot of pathology gets a spiritual pass), but pain can be one way of making any relationship stronger. It can teach us about the other and how they are able to hurt us and thus give us the solitary work of learning to manage such future injuries so that we don't cloud the relationship with resentment and pointless moral economic calculation, or if shared in the right spirit it allows for the possibility for the other to learn to be more careful with own weakness. Either way, the relationship will be the better for it.

From a few of your recent posts, it sounds you have more than little anxiety about your future with this man and with the Church. It's OK. Be care-full. Be kind, perhaps in your case to yourself first.

There is a ton more to say about your situation based on your posts here, but in short be careful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:51:07 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Anna.T
Not yet a Catechumen ... but hopefully soon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - Atlanta

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »

While it's not the most romantic or poetic way to put it, it sounds like he was being honest.

Maybe the question you really want to hear the answer to is why he loves you and wants to marry you.

Asking questions like that can sometimes not give the results you might want to hear though. I guess I normally wouldn't do it. But it does sound like he just answered your question honestly, and maybe what you really wanted was the answer to a different question.

Note: I am falling behind in replies during Holy Week - my apologies & I thank everyone for their replies. I read when I can, but can't answer all.

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 08:59:24 AM »

While it's not the most romantic or poetic way to put it, it sounds like he was being honest.

Maybe the question you really want to hear the answer to is why he loves you and wants to marry you.

Asking questions like that can sometimes not give the results you might want to hear though. I guess I normally wouldn't do it. But it does sound like he just answered your question honestly, and maybe what you really wanted was the answer to a different question.

Is there like a smartphone app or something that tells men the ridiculous answers they should be giving when the women in their lives ask them a silly question.  I have given some retarded answers to questions sometimes only to find out that I did the right thing.  It's exasperating.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Anna.T
Not yet a Catechumen ... but hopefully soon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America - Atlanta

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »

Is there like a smartphone app or something that tells men the ridiculous answers they should be giving when the women in their lives ask them a silly question.  I have given some retarded answers to questions sometimes only to find out that I did the right thing.  It's exasperating.

I don't think I have much of an answer for that. My husband is "brutally honest" and often says things that are hurtful - even if they are honest.

I would advise anyone (male or female) to just try to put yourself in another person's place. Think for a moment before you answer, and try to see how they may take what you intend to say. Try to see what it is they are really asking you. (But I don't like playing games - that kind of communication is best stopped, imo.)

If your answer is true, but not kind, is there a kinder way to say it without devaluing the truth?

Does it even need to be said? When telling the story of how we met, my husband will invariably say that he found fault with my appearance - and I don't think that is really necessary. After many repetitions, it's painful to hear someone ask because I know what's coming.

I think sometimes, we put "truth" above "love" ... and I'm not so sure that's the Father's heart.

But sometimes love demands that we share painful truths. We ought to be sure of our motives before we do though, and be sure that we are doing it for the other person's benefit.

I'm not saying you are doing that. And truly, men and women seem to say things in different ways. I had trouble when first married, my husband would get upset and I honestly had no idea why, but then if I could get him to explain, I would see that he felt my words disrespected him in some way. I had to learn that he needed to be spoken to differently in order to feel respected. Because I love him, I made the effort to do that.

I still slip up sometimes. But for the sake of marriage, I think it is worth working to learn how to please and build the other one up in ways that are truly good for them.

I'm not sure if this is an "Orthodox" answer, but ... since you quoted my post, I'm just giving the best answer I can give.

Surely others could improve on it.

And no, no smartphone ap. Wink If there were, I wouldn't trust the answers that came from it.

Note: I am falling behind in replies during Holy Week - my apologies & I thank everyone for their replies. I read when I can, but can't answer all.

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »

No, you shouldn't be offended. Its not like that is the reason he loves you now. That could have been the way God chose to get you two together. The fact is, he loves you for the right reasons now.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Why would you be offended at honesty? 

So what, he had no intention of falling in love with you at the beginning.  What initiated his interest in you is no longer what keeps him around.  A relationship developed.  That is a good thing.

The reasons I initially was interested in my wife are no longer the reasons I am still interested in her.  In fact, those reasons no longer even exist and have not for a very, very long time.  What began as a casual friendship developed into marriage.  Truthfully, she was not even interested in my at first.  I do not find that offensive at all.  I am just glad she changed her mind.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Does any guy (or girl) meet any girl (or guy) expecting to love him/her?  No.  That's not a hit on your ego or should cause you offense because that's just the way life is.  I never expected to fall in love with my wife.  I knew her for 6 years before that happened. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »

I don't think I have much of an answer for that. My husband is "brutally honest" and often says things that are hurtful - even if they are honest.

I would advise anyone (male or female) to just try to put yourself in another person's place. Think for a moment before you answer, and try to see how they may take what you intend to say. Try to see what it is they are really asking you. (But I don't like playing games - that kind of communication is best stopped, imo.)

If your answer is true, but not kind, is there a kinder way to say it without devaluing the truth?

Does it even need to be said? When telling the story of how we met, my husband will invariably say that he found fault with my appearance - and I don't think that is really necessary. After many repetitions, it's painful to hear someone ask because I know what's coming.

I think sometimes, we put "truth" above "love" ... and I'm not so sure that's the Father's heart.

But sometimes love demands that we share painful truths. We ought to be sure of our motives before we do though, and be sure that we are doing it for the other person's benefit.

I'm not saying you are doing that. And truly, men and women seem to say things in different ways. I had trouble when first married, my husband would get upset and I honestly had no idea why, but then if I could get him to explain, I would see that he felt my words disrespected him in some way. I had to learn that he needed to be spoken to differently in order to feel respected. Because I love him, I made the effort to do that.

I still slip up sometimes. But for the sake of marriage, I think it is worth working to learn how to please and build the other one up in ways that are truly good for them.

I'm not sure if this is an "Orthodox" answer, but ... since you quoted my post, I'm just giving the best answer I can give.

Surely others could improve on it.

And no, no smartphone ap. Wink If there were, I wouldn't trust the answers that came from it.

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." Thumper's mother

St. John Chrysostom
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure he just said that he loves you.

[[[Women ! ]]]

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
RehamG

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »

Clearly I am over-sensitive about these things. Bah!

St. Monica, pray for us.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »

But maybe he wanted to save you because he thought you were smokin' hot.

He probably didn't want to save some random ugly girl. Trust me on this.

This sounds more like the truth.

He knew that he could not marry one outside the Church, but he was attracted to you.
Some guys are not poetic, but his actions speak louder than his words.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: