Author Topic: An apology  (Read 220 times)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • High Elder
  • The above icon is of St. Athansius.
    • The Least of Pilgrims Liturgical Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Chrismated, in a canonical jurisdiction
An apology
« on: March 18, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »
This being Lent I feel obliged to confess a problem with my posting style that has been causing difficulties for some users and to apologize for it. 

Specifically, the length of my posts, which is excessive.  My posts need more brevity.  However, I would ask my brothers and sisters on oc.net to consider that I have only included those aspects on each it's em that seemed relevant, I.e. believe it or not, I am not actually just dumping all the facts I know about a subject into each post.  And I'm certainly not trying to dazzle anyone with the amount that I know on a subject, because in fact that is usually very little.  But I see, to be bringing up too many points.  So I need to address how I respond to posts, because it's my desire to be able to engage with people here, and when TL;DR sets in due to verbosity on my part such engagement doesn't happen.  So I am working on this, and I beg your patience and your forgiveness.

I wish you all a most blessed Lent.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Online Volnutt

• Protokentarchos
  • Lunacy loves company
  • Faith: Might become Orthodox
Re: An apology
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »
*Shrug* It doesn't bother me.

Your details might be tangential but I don't think I've ever found them irrelevant. I can tell you're not just trying to show off.
Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words. -Goethe

I once heard a monk say, “The person of prayer does not need to go any further than his own heart to find the source of all violence in the world.” -Fr. Stephen Freeman

Offline Alxandra

• ☦ ICXCNIKA ☦
  • Elder
    • Blog
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
Your posts are very informative! Thank you for all your care, I have definitely learned a lot.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline eddybear

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglodox
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »
I'm not sure an apology is really needed, as there is no sin in writing long posts per se, and your posts often contain a lot of helpful information. In a forum environment though, you are right that long posts can be rather daunting, and put people off reading through them. I pray the Lord will bless you as you learn to amend your style, so that more people here can be blessed by what you write.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
tl;dr

I read the Subject title though. I forgive you!

:P  :-* ;D
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Offline Porter ODoran

• Erst Amish Appalachian
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith should; hope could; love would
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:24 PM »
The fact that you type them on an iPad satisfies me that you're being punished more than you deserve.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline wgw

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11:57 PM »
I appreciate your responses.  One reason why I love the Philokalia is the extremely high information density, particularly in the writings of Nikita's Stithatos, Ss. Symeon the New Theologian, and St. Gregory of Palamas.  And I love Metropolitan Kallistos for having preserved this density rather than trying to tone it down to ease comprehension.  It's like being removed from a stuffy house into a more breathable atmosphere.  Likewise I avoid the word association game because instead of individual words popping up, probabilistic trees of words emerge based on the five or so things the word most associates with in my mind plus a projection of the most likely responses from other players.  I do enjoy reading the thread, but only in reverse, reading it forward is usually too obvious except when someone does something off the wall.  I'm someone who thrives on high information density, who built a career in IT out of the ability to handle it, and who used to vaingloriously revel in my ability to handle it, which is a minor blessing of the mental faculties, but not wisdom, nor any substitute for holy wisdom, which is the most important form of intelligence..  It's more like the difference between having a highly parallel multi core CPU as a brain, vs. an extremely fast one in linear speed, or an average one; it doesn't really matter if you don't have the right software, in other words, blessed wisdom of the sort King Solomon or St. Anthony the Great were endowed.
William Inge KCVO, the Dean of St. Paul's in London from 1911-1934, when asked if he was a liturgiologist replied, “No. Nor do I collect postage stamps."

Please forgive any offense my posts cause; none is intended. Let us bless the Lord ar all times.

Offline wgw

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »
The fact that you type them on an iPad satisfies me that you're being punished more than you deserve.

As I mentioned elsewhere due to my arthritis the iPad keyboard is a blessing.  I can't properly enjoy my beautiful Thinkpad keyboards, for example, or my IBM M series with its fantastic patented spring mechanism that makes it the Rolls Royce of computer keyboards, because the downward thrust is physically painful.  The arthritis isn't impacting accuracy and high accuracy is what the iPad demands.  The subtle change in the keyboard between the iPad 2 and the iPad Air drives me crazy though, for whatever reason I'm twice as error prone on the new iPad.  But it's nowhere near as bad as the pure horror that was the last Android tablet I used (a Lenovo).

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »
I appreciate your responses.  One reason why I love the Philokalia is the extremely high information density, particularly in the writings of Nikita's Stithatos, Ss. Symeon the New Theologian, and St. Gregory of Palamas.  And I love Metropolitan Kallistos for having preserved this density rather than trying to tone it down to ease comprehension.  It's like being removed from a stuffy house into a more breathable atmosphere.  Likewise I avoid the word association game because instead of individual words popping up, probabilistic trees of words emerge based on the five or so things the word most associates with in my mind plus a projection of the most likely responses from other players.  I do enjoy reading the thread, but only in reverse, reading it forward is usually too obvious except when someone does something off the wall.  I'm someone who thrives on high information density, who built a career in IT out of the ability to handle it, and who used to vaingloriously revel in my ability to handle it, which is a minor blessing of the mental faculties, but not wisdom, nor any substitute for holy wisdom, which is the most important form of intelligence..  It's more like the difference between having a highly parallel multi core CPU as a brain, vs. an extremely fast one in linear speed, or an average one; it doesn't really matter if you don't have the right software, in other words, blessed wisdom of the sort King Solomon or St. Anthony the Great were endowed.

Part of repentance is changing your behavior.

At least use more white space. Or not.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline wgw

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »
Well I really appreciate what Justin, eddybear, Porter, Volnutt and dear Alexandra (who is the best poster on OC.net in terms of always having something kind to say) have said. But I will try to increase white space.

One problem is on the iPad the size of the input box or "combox" in blog speak makes it unclear how big your paragraph is going to be, and if one doesn't hit preview, one won't find out.  But I think even if I split my posts up into more paragraphs they'd still be too long.

Offline Gunnarr

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 03:32:08 AM »
"I like you just the way you are"

Hey at least you don't double line each sentence like me.

I am sure it is just as annoying.
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 11:27:05 AM »
"I like you just the way you are"

Hey at least you don't double line each sentence like me.

I am sure it is just as annoying.

The opposite.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline byhisgrace

• Faith: Evangelodox
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:49 AM »
This being Lent I feel obliged to confess a problem with my posting style that has been causing difficulties for some users and to apologize for it. 

Specifically, the length of my posts, which is excessive.  My posts need more brevity.  However, I would ask my brothers and sisters on oc.net to consider that I have only included those aspects on each it's em that seemed relevant, I.e. believe it or not, I am not actually just dumping all the facts I know about a subject into each post.  And I'm certainly not trying to dazzle anyone with the amount that I know on a subject, because in fact that is usually very little.  But I see, to be bringing up too many points.  So I need to address how I respond to posts, because it's my desire to be able to engage with people here, and when TL;DR sets in due to verbosity on my part such engagement doesn't happen.  So I am working on this, and I beg your patience and your forgiveness.

I wish you all a most blessed Lent.
I find your posts very interesting and worth reading. I was never annoyed by the length.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 12:58:32 AM »
I usually don't read what you write, but it's nothing to apologize for. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline wgw

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
I need to revive this thread because once again I have annoyed a member of this forum who I greatly respect through my writing style.  I need to make it clear, I speak with no authority, only from the basis of my limited knowledge; I am no longer a neophyte but I am no expert.  So please forgive me and pray for me that I might be able to better convey a sense of humility in my posts.