Author Topic: Proportional Timeline of Christianity?  (Read 152 times)

Offline BryanS

• No Longer Protestant; Almost Orthodox
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
Proportional Timeline of Christianity?
« on: July 27, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
"Huh?" you may ask.

I've seen several timelines of Christianity that show the Orthodox Church as the main line, with the RC branching off of it in the 11th century, and the various Protestant branches off of that later down the road. (This one for example.) What I haven't seen is a timeline that renders each branch in a thickness proportional to the number of adherents during each time period.

I think that would be a very interesting visualization. I'd even try my hand at doing it myself if I knew where to obtain the data: # of adherents per Christian group during each century of their existence.

Anyone have any leads for me?

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Re: Proportional Timeline of Christianity?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:54 PM »
Such a diagram is called a histomap:

There does appear to be a histomap of religion (in general, not specifically Christianity) but no copies of it seem to be available on Google image search. I have not yet seen a histomap of Christian churches specifically, but that would be very neat.

In particular I'd find it interesting to know whether the RC have always outnumbered the EO (or EO+OO) since 1054, or if there have been any times where the RC were outnumbered.

Protestantism seems like it will overtake the RC soon, because of trends in Central and South America. Pentecostalism makes up the vast majority of this growth and all other Protestant movements will become insignificant by comparison.

A histomap based on geographical spread rather than population size would show ACOTE as being the largest by far prior to Tamerlane, with all the other churches looking tiny by comparison. However, ACOTE wasn't the majority religion in most of the areas in which it was present.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:56:13 PM by Minnesotan »
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline BryanS

• The Visible Narrator
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 07:59:49 AM »
Exactly what I'm thinking of, Minnesotan!

Oh, and "ACOTE"? What's that?

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:45:01 AM »
Exactly what I'm thinking of, Minnesotan!

Oh, and "ACOTE"? What's that?

Assyrian Church of the East (the so-called "Nestorian" church, although that name isn't 100% accurate). At one point it was present throughout most of Central Asia and as far east as China, possibly even Japan.
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:20:33 AM »
Here is an interesting breakdown of the current numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline BryanS

• The Visible Narrator
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 11:30:27 AM »
Here is an interesting breakdown of the current numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations_by_number_of_members

Now, if we can just get that level of detail going back for the last 20 centuries.  ;)

Incidentally, it looks like there are more Orthodox in Canada than in the USA:

Come on guys. We can't let the Canadians beat us. Let's get out there and drum up some more converts (or make some more babies)!

Offline Sam G

• Minister of Silly Walks
  • High Elder
  • My walk has become rather sillier lately....
  • Faith: Orthodox Christianity
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 01:37:36 PM »

Now, if we can just get that level of detail going back for the last 20 centuries.  ;)

Incidentally, it looks like there are more Orthodox in Canada than in the USA:

Come on guys. We can't let the Canadians beat us. Let's get out there and drum up some more converts (or make some more babies)!

ByranS, this graph is by percentage of population and says nothing about the actual number of Orthodox Christians in each country.

There could be the same number of Orthodox Christians in Canada and the United States, and Canada would still have a higher percentage of Orthodox Christians relative to the total population, because Canada has a total population of 34,834,841 as opposed to the US population of over 300 million.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:39:41 PM by Sam G »
This user doesn't post here enough.

Offline BryanS

• The Visible Narrator
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:47:30 PM »
ByranS, this graph is by percentage of population and says nothing about the actual number of Orthodox Christians in each country.

Oops. That's what I meant.