OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 03:15:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God-family  (Read 1109 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: May 03, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »

so, I have a godfather and a Godmother who I love very much.  are my godparent's other godchildren my godsiblings?  are their godparents my god-grandparents?

thanks!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

You can't marry the immediate relatives of your God parents, so as far as that goes they are god-relatives, but generally speaking a God-parent is there for direction. I suppose members of their family can help direct you, but I don't think there is an official position.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »

As a godparent of four, it has been explained to me that not only am I to give "direction", but, I will answer before God, if my godchildren do not grow into good Orthodox Christians.  Apparently, I have a bigger responsibility than their biological mother, in raising them Orthodox.

It's an awesome responsibility, and often leaves me rather concerned and worried....because it's harder and harder to raise kids Orthodox in such an anti-Christian (yes, I mean anti) environment.   

As to your question Trevor, I can never marry any of the god-fathers, nor any of my godchildren. 

I think you only "answer" to your godparents....and not to any of their relatives or other godchildren of theirs.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »

As a godparent of four, it has been explained to me that not only am I to give "direction", but, I will answer before God, if my godchildren do not grow into good Orthodox Christians.  Apparently, I have a bigger responsibility than their biological mother, in raising them Orthodox.

It's an awesome responsibility, and often leaves me rather concerned and worried....because it's harder and harder to raise kids Orthodox in such an anti-Christian (yes, I mean anti) environment.   

As to your question Trevor, I can never marry any of the god-fathers, nor any of my godchildren. 

I think you only "answer" to your godparents....and not to any of their relatives or other godchildren of theirs.

interesting.  thanks, Liza!  I totally agree about being in an anti-Christian environment.  they'll need all of the prayer and guidance they can get, especially once they hit high school!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:55:41 PM »

One is a freshman in high school this year.

He's a great boy....but, he's never "talked" much...and now it's crucial to know what is going on...but, can't get anything out of him....other than a few grunts here and there!  Wink

...but, he's an altar server - and is very dedicated.  He would get upset if I went to church on Sunday, and didn't come to pick him up on the way.

Gosh....how lucky am I. 

Thanks for reminding me Trevor, of how blessed I am....with four wonderful godkids!  They give my life meaning.  Smiley 

Please help me, by praying for them, as well!

Now Trevor, my pseudo-godson....isn't it your bedtime?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »

One is a freshman in high school this year.

He's a great boy....but, he's never "talked" much...and now it's crucial to know what is going on...but, can't get anything out of him....other than a few grunts here and there!  Wink

...but, he's an altar server - and is very dedicated.  He would get upset if I went to church on Sunday, and didn't come to pick him up on the way.

Gosh....how lucky am I. 

Thanks for reminding me Trevor, of how blessed I am....with four wonderful godkids!  They give my life meaning.  Smiley 

Please help me, by praying for them, as well!

Now Trevor, my pseudo-godson....isn't it your bedtime?

Cheesy my bedtime is 10:30, thank you very much.  (it's 9 where I am).  just be glad that he's not telling strangers details of his life on a fprum online!   Grin

if you will please respond or PM me with their first names, I can add them to my weekly prayer card.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »

My godchildren are:  Andrew, Michael, Alexandra and Elizabeth.

If I had a chance to handpick 4 kids...I would pick these 4.  Each is special and gifted in their own way.

Thank you, Trevor.  I appreciate the prayers!

—St. Isaac of Syria
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »

My godfather and his extended family has taken me in almost like one of their own. So I would say yes. I'm proud to have god-grandparents, god-uncles and god-aunts, and a bunch of wonderful god-cousins. Cheesy They truly are a second family to me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:54:44 PM by bogdan » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »

I just chimed in to say that I love this thread!  Cheesy I can't wait to find out who my godparents will be...you sound like you have great, genuine relationships with them, and Liza, you sound like a great godmama to those children!  Smiley

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »

I don't have any godparents Sad  but one of the ladies in the church I attend has a godson and at first I thought she was his aunt because of how she was holding him (hard to describe: holding/rubbing/hugging - I don't know, very motherly like) during church.

Later I went and asked her if she was his mother (they didn't look like eachother so I didn't know what else to ask?) and she said "No, he is my godson."

My brother in law also has a godfather who is maybe 8 or 9 years older than him. Strange indeed!

M
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:38 AM »

I don't have any godparents Sad  but one of the ladies in the church I attend has a godson and at first I thought she was his aunt because of how she was holding him (hard to describe: holding/rubbing/hugging - I don't know, very motherly like) during church.

Later I went and asked her if she was his mother (they didn't look like eachother so I didn't know what else to ask?) and she said "No, he is my godson."

My brother in law also has a godfather who is maybe 8 or 9 years older than him. Strange indeed!

M
really?  interesting.  are you an Orthodox Christian, or on the cusp of converting?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 01:30:13 AM »

I envy some of you. My wife had a good relationship with her Godmother, though she actually had a closer relationship with her "adoptive Godfather". I, on the other hand, having moved a number of times, haven't seen or talked to my Godparent in over 8 years.  Undecided Also, regarding the Godparents of my two daughters, while we are all still on friendly terms, we don't really keep in contact as much as some have described. I suppose if I was more sociable I would reach out to them...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:30:38 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 08:33:43 AM »

I envy some of you. My wife had a good relationship with her Godmother, though she actually had a closer relationship with her "adoptive Godfather". I, on the other hand, having moved a number of times, haven't seen or talked to my Godparent in over 8 years.  Undecided Also, regarding the Godparents of my two daughters, while we are all still on friendly terms, we don't really keep in contact as much as some have described. I suppose if I was more sociable I would reach out to them...

I'm sure it's a different situation when you see your godparents on a weekly basis at Church. 

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »

i didn't have official God-parents, but my unofficial ones are great! i have a whole God-family and their 'family friends' are mine too.
they used to say 'just call us mum and dad' so i guess that makes them God-parents.

so for all who don't have any, go and get some!
but remember the warning about nor marrying family members when you choose them! thank God i am already married  Smiley
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »

M
really?  interesting.  are you an Orthodox Christian, or on the cusp of converting?

I am not Orthodox but I am leaning in that direction. My brother in law is Orthodox.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »

I was talking with a Greek Orthodox guy today who called his brother's godparent's daughter his godsister.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Wilma

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »

My family and I are very blessed, our Godparents are our parish's priest and his wife. They are great and show genuine care and love for my children, as well as the other children in church. Ever before getting Chrismated, they have always guided us with patience and humbleness.

I'm also part of a group on Facebook where Orthodox women who use head covering chat and pray for each other; those ladies are great, God bless them. They're my sisters in Jesus and have guided me through my process of becoming an EO.

Wilma (Nazarius)

"Humbleness is protection, patience is confirmation, love is defence. Where there is love, there is God, there is all the good…" St. Nazary of Valaam
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »

I just chimed in to say that I love this thread!  Cheesy I can't wait to find out who my godparents will be...you sound like you have great, genuine relationships with them, and Liza, you sound like a great godmama to those children!  Smiley
Izmi- it's all in what you make of it. I have noticed that if you R generally an introvert and don't put yourself out there, calling them, keeping in touch, praying for them regularly and so forth, just like any relationship, it needs cultivation.

I love my Godparents. One has decided to keep in close contact, the other has drifted although I know she prays for me. My Godfather has become a lifelong friend and a great source of spiritual guidance. He is more of a father to me than my own by blood.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Joseph Hazen

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »

In the Serbian Jurisdiction your Godparents are called "Kum ______" or "Kuma ______" and their children would be addressed by the same title (or kumice). It works in other ways too:

My priest is the Godfather of a boy named Jovan. Father calls Jovan's brother "Kum Alex" and could address Jovan's parents as Kum _____ and Kuma ______. I don't know if his sons could/would call Jovan and Alex Kum.

Kum also means best man. I was the Kum for my best friend David. We're sort of related now, and the best way to translate that I think is godbrother, so I've used that title for him before.

People don't bat an eye when calling people "godbrother" or "godsister" in my experience.

(I should add, in Serbia the Kum relationship isn't held to be as important generally, from what I've heard. In America it can be very important.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:10:27 PM by Joseph Hazen » Logged
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:51 PM »

M

I am not Orthodox but I am leaning in that direction. My brother in law is Orthodox.
May God grant it!

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: