OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 04:45:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahhh... more craziness from Europe  (Read 1717 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 04, 2004, 01:26:04 PM »

Church bikers versus nude cyclists

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- A planned nudist bicycle tour in the Netherlands' so-called "Bible Belt" has upset local church officials who are holding their own youth charity bike ride the same day.

They have tried in vain to get local authorities to ban the nudists to stop them clashing with the youth chapter of the Reformed Church when they both take to the road in the eastern town of Apeldoorn on June 12.

The nudist tour is part of the World Naked Bike Ride that also takes place in London, Chicago, Los Angeles, Montreal, Toronto and Pforzheim, Germany.

The organizer of the church bike tour told the ANP news agency Thursday he had tried to coordinate the routes with the nudist tour to avoid any embarrassing meeting but had obtained no reply.

He is now asking the 300 or so cyclists on his youth tour to call the police if they see any nudists.

"Nudity in public is provocative and illegal," he said.

Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:49:54 PM »

Dear TomS:

Hopefully, this "carziness" will not spill over the following day when the Catholic Church celebrates "Corpus Christi" in Amsterdam for the first time publicly after being banned by the Dutch government for 426 years!

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=46943

Amado
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 02:08:00 PM »

LoL.....

This sounds really fruity. I hope they atleast wear helmits.. Grin Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 03:56:38 PM »

And that's if it's not too sunny a day...

Sunburn. Windburn.  Damage in unusual places if someone falls off.  Hypothermia and goosebumps if it's chilly.

(Always with the negative waves Morarity, always with the negative waves)

Ebor
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 03:57:30 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 04:50:58 PM »

Nude bike riding, hmmmm............where is that slow drying super glue for them seats.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 08:38:29 PM »

Maaan, thats gotta be hard on the butt crack!  

JoeS  Roll Eyes
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 10:37:11 PM »

Something tells me the men will be using girls' bikes, just in case they slip off the seat... Lips Sealed

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 11:28:33 PM »

People who even think of riding their bikes nude across the Netherlands have way too much time on their hands.  Shocked.

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2004, 12:32:31 AM »

I have to admit that that the idea of nudist's bicycling had never crossed my mind before and it certainly doesn't seem like a very good idea. Sounds painful to me - both physically as well as visually.  Shocked

I wonder what next bright idea will be in the world of nudist sports?  :cwm40:

I shudder to think...   :smiley8:  :blushing:
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 06:37:05 AM »

Hmmmmm..........

Looks like they are running out of ideas. I wonder what the whole point of nudist biking is....

What's the reason for this??? What are these people driven by??? In my mind, people that would go to such extremes have to have a good amount of drugs or alcohol in thier system. I can't imagine this ever happening in the good ole' USA. Not even in San Francisco where they still have the deceny of wearing some clothing.   Smiley

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 08:13:01 PM »

I can't imagine this ever happening in the good ole' USA. Not even in San Francisco where they still have the deceny of wearing some clothing.

Ah, but it is happening in the USA - did you miss the following from TomΣ's post?

The nudist tour is part of the World Naked Bike Ride that also takes place in London, Chicago, Los Angeles, Montreal, Toronto and Pforzheim, Germany.

Shocked    Roll Eyes

In Christ,
Aaron
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 09:56:45 PM »

Sounds painful to me - both physically as well as visually.  Shocked

Yeah. Watching the MALE bikers would kinda be like wathing a tennis match  Grin

Sorry couldn't resist.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 03:07:29 PM »

Uggg... there are so many unseemly possibilities for mishaps and discomfort for naked cycliests... However, remember, that the ancient Greek athletes would fight in the nude.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 03:10:47 PM »

first time publicly after being banned by the Dutch government for 426 years!

Praise God! This is truly wonderful and  pray God have mercy upon those who supported this absurd ban, that now, thanks to God, is coming to an end.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: