OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Episcopalians, Lutherans cross border to celebrate full communion  (Read 1359 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: May 03, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »

http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_128215_ENG_HTM.htm

Simultaneous Canadian, U.S. liturgies mark 10th anniversary

By Mary Frances Schjonberg, May 02, 2011
[Episcopal News Service] U.S. Episcopalians, Canadian Anglicans and Lutherans in both countries came together May 1 to honor the 10th anniversaries of their denominations' declarations of full communion.
Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson, Anglican Church in Canada Archbishop Fred Hiltz and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada National Bishop Susan Johnson participated in unique simultaneous liturgies on either side of the U.S.-Canadian border.

Johnson presided and Jefferts Schori preached at St. Paul's Anglican Church, Fort Erie, Ontario. Hanson presided and Hiltz preached at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Buffalo, New York (Diocese of Western New York). Both services began at 3 p.m. EDT.

The celebrations included elements of the worship services of the four denominations.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »

This comes in at about an 8 on the ecumenicity meter... not too shabby...

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »

It really is rather impressive... though disappointing in some ways. I mean, you pretty much have every single belief system professed by any given protestant denomination contained in these denominations. Smiley

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »

But is being "in communion" really a big deal when you already have "open communion"?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »

But is being "in communion" really a big deal when you already have "open communion"?
LOL. +1

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

"And they were all gathered in one place, a generation lost in space..."

That came to mind, reading the news.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

Christ is risen!

[Episcopal News Service] U.S. Episcopalians, Canadian Anglicans and Lutherans in both countries came together May 1 to honor the 10th anniversaries of their denominations' declarations of full communion.
Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson, Anglican Church in Canada Archbishop Fred Hiltz and Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada National Bishop Susan Johnson participated in unique simultaneous liturgies on either side of the U.S.-Canadian border.

Johnson presided and Jefferts Schori preached at St. Paul's Anglican Church, Fort Erie, Ontario. Hanson presided and Hiltz preached at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Buffalo, New York (Diocese of Western New York). Both services began at 3 p.m. EDT.

The celebrations included elements of the worship services of the four denominations.
I remember being horrified that the Lutherans were considering intercommunion with the Episcopalians without union, i.e. on beliefs.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »

I like this.   This is definitely a nominee for oc.net's quotable quotes! Cheesy

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:48:46 AM »

That article reads like a list of all the popular vapid sentiments people are supposed to adopt in order to be accepted in modern society.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:52:48 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »

I like this.   This is definitely a nominee for oc.net's quotable quotes! Cheesy
Agreed!
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 03:57:05 PM »

LOL. +1
+2

Axios ;-)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:01:51 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »

Christ is risen!

I remember being horrified that the Lutherans were considering intercommunion with the Episcopalians without union, i.e. on beliefs.

I heard of a Lutheran pastor or bishop commenting, when they were first looking at doing this in the 80s, that it was "ecclesiastical necrophilia."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »

I heard of a Lutheran pastor or bishop commenting, when they were first looking at doing this in the 80s, that it was "ecclesiastical necrophilia."

Perhaps this is their way of adding "...not that there's anything wrong with that?"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:58:19 PM by BoredMeeting » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

It really is rather impressive... though disappointing in some ways. I mean, you pretty much have every single belief system professed by any given protestant denomination contained in these denominations. Smiley

...as opposed the the great range of things that American Roman Catholics actually believe?

A great deal of theological work went into this, especially on the subject of eucharistic and sacramental theory. So far the only other group for which this has happened is the Moravians; there has been some work done with the Methodists, but my sense is that it's going to be a waste of time as the Methodists have a completely different picture of the episcopacy and tend to take a lowish theory of communion.

BTW the local Lutherans joined us for the Easter vigil this year.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:32:20 PM by Keble » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »

Does anyone know if their is a movement of conservative Lutherans (Out of ELCA I suppose) who are seeking to "realign" themselves as the Anglicans have recently done?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »

^Robb, there are several organizations that have popped up in the last few years mainly for ex-ELCA Lutherans who wanted to get away from the homosexuality debates which have ensnared the ELCA over the years.  One of those organizations (the biggest) is the Lutheran Congregations in Mission in Christ (http://www.lcmc.net/).  However, these are not really "conservative" Lutherans.  They still ordain women and their ecclesiology and theology would make a lot of Lutherans cringe.  They won't join the LCMS because they believe (and not entirely unjustly) that the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod is too much like fundamentalism.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: