Author Topic: western/european church?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline henrikhankhagnell

western/european church?
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:56:12 AM »
LAVDETVR IESVS CHRISTVS!
Was there ever an Orthodox (Oriental or Easter) in Europe who was European/western? Was the Celtic church Orthodox and was there an Orthodox Roman Catholic church? Tell me all you know about this! I need to know. I want to know.
searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...

Offline bogdan

• OC.net guru
Re: western/european church?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »
Before the Great Schism that happened around 1054 AD, the Western Church (Church of Rome) was Orthodox. All of Europe was under Rome at that time, including the Celtic church.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:03:26 AM by bogdan »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
EO: The Orthodox Church of France and the Polish National Orthodox Church until they shismed.

OO: The British Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:08:05 AM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:13:46 AM »
EO: The Orthodox Church of France and the Polish National Orthodox Church until they shismed.

Huh? Has PNCC been part of us? When and why they schismed?
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »

Huh? Has PNCC been part of us? When and why they schismed?

Polish National Orthodox Church, not the  Polish Orthodox Catholic Church.
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19445.0.html
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polski_Narodowy_Ko%C5%9Bci%C3%B3%C5%82_Prawos%C5%82awny
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:22:48 AM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Michał

• ['mi:hɑʊ]
  • High Elder
  • "Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »

AFAIK, the PNOC, as a structure, never became schismatic. It simply disappeared.

The Orthodox Church of Czech and Slovak Lands also used to be Western -- consisting of Western Slavs, using Western rite -- until it received large groups of Eastern Slavs and switched to the Byzantine rite (although the latter might have been planned from the very begining, with WR as a transitional form; I don't know for sure, though).

OO: The British Orthodox Church.

They are Western ethnically, and as far as their ethos is concerned, but not liturgically.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:08:20 AM by Michał »

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
EO: The Orthodox Church of France

It says "In 2001, after the scandal caused by the revelation inside the church of the marriage of Bishop Germain in 1995 (which was subsequently annulled), ten parishes left the OCF and formed the Union des Associations Cultuelles Orthodoxes de Rite Occidental (UACORO - the Union of Western Rite Orthodox Worship Associations) and began negotiations in 2004 with the Church of Serbia to be canonically recognized, with the intention of the UACORO entering the Diocese of France and Western Europe. The UACORO was received individually, laity and priests, into the French diocese of the Serbian Patriarchate in 2006."

Were the UACORO people allowed to maintain Western Rite or are they all in Eastern rite parishes now?

“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline Michał

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »
Were the UACORO people allowed to maintain Western Rite or are they all in Eastern rite parishes now?

They are in parishes which follow the Byzantine rite most of the time and use the Liturgy of St Germanus only a couple of times a year -- on feastdays of some important Western saints. However, some of these parishes use Western rite Divine Office on regular basis. There are chances that, in a not distant future, at least some communities deriving from Gallican rite Orthodox movement, which are now under all kinds of jurisdictions (EO, OO, canonical, uncanonical), will join the ROCOR as Western rite parishes/missions.

Offline Cognomen

• Ungrateful Biped
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Wanderer, but in All the East
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
Polish National Orthodox Church, not the  Polish Orthodox Catholic Church.

It's the People's Front of Judea, not the Judean People's Front...  Judean Peoples Front... Splitters! 

Apologies if people don't know the reference.
If anything I have posted has been illuminating, please remember that I merely reflect the light of others...but also it's me.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »
Christus resurrexit!
LAVDETVR IESVS CHRISTVS!
Was there ever an Orthodox (Oriental or Easter) in Europe who was European/western? Was the Celtic church Orthodox and was there an Orthodox Roman Catholic church? Tell me all you know about this! I need to know. I want to know.
As has been stated, Rome and the rest were Orthodox until the Vatican went into schism and heresy and pulled the rest of the west eventually with it.

The Scandinavians and Anglo-Saxons continued to have Churches in communion with us it seems in Costantinople and Novgorod.  In England, the schism was put in place by the Norman invasion.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline henrikhankhagnell

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
The Scandinavians and Anglo-Saxons continued to have Churches in communion with us it seems in Costantinople and Novgorod.  In England, the schism was put in place by the Norman invasion.
???
searching for the church that is both catholic and orthodox...

Offline Michał

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
???

What Isa means is that:
1. probably even some time after 1054 there were Western rite churches in communion with the EO Church (they were run by Anlo-Saxons residing in Constantinopole and Scandinavians residing in Novogrod),
2. the Great Schism reached England in year 1066 -- with the Norman invasion (this theory is covered here: http://www.orthodoxchristianbooks.com/downloads/305_THE_FALL_OF_ORTHODOX_ENGLAND.pdf).