OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 03:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How often should one read the Bible?  (Read 806 times) Average Rating: 0
the_typist

Jurisdiction: United States of America

« on: May 02, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »

Coming from a Protestant church I was told to read the Bible everyday but some christians I know only read the Bible once a week if that. Does it matter?

I was also told that Prayer is more important than reading the Bible.

M
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:28:44 PM »

Reading Holy Scripture is just as important as praying. The lectionary has readings for every day.

Have you noticed how it is just as difficult to begin to read the Scriptures as it is to pray? It is because a swarm of demons attack you every time you try to do either. There is great power to transform in the Scriptures.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:28:57 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

Coming from a Protestant church I was told to read the Bible everyday but some christians I know only read the Bible once a week if that. Does it matter?

I was also told that Prayer is more important than reading the Bible.

M

Well when your read Psalms you get to do both!  ;o)

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:22 PM »

If you follow the lectionary, you read it--what--once a year?
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »

Reading the Scriptures is very important, as is prayer, the reading of the commentaries of the Fathers on the Scriptures, reading the lives of the saints, fasting, giving alms, attending services, etc.  It is all very important.  To what extent one can and should do each depends on the person, their "spiritual condition", state in life, time available, etc.  The first priority is to have a good spiritual father, one who you can guide you to salvation.  He will help you figure out to what extent, in what combintation, and to what degree you should read, pray, fast, etc.  This will be based on what you need to save your soul, as opposed to an arbitrary or theoretical one size-fits-all requirement. 

That being said, probably most read the lectionary readings every day, while others may read one chapter a day from the New Testament instead of or in addition to this.   
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »

It was suggested to me to read a little each day. Select a Gospel to read a little from. A few Psalms. An Epistle. And another text from the OT. And try to read just a little of each every day until you finish. Then move on except for the Psalter, start over.

Once I got over the zeal to read a whole lot of each, it became kinda easy, given the online versions I can use when not puttering around here on my downtime. Having a kindle NKJV. And of course a few Bibles at home.

This was suggested to me by an Orthodox to not to try to complicate matters by following the appointed readings. Keep things simple as possible to begin with. During Lent, I took my selection from the texts primarily used during Lent and read them at my own pace. So you can sorta marry reading straight-through books of the Bible with the liturgical cycle.

FWIW.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:24:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
the_typist

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »

I'm not familiar with a "lectionary". What is it? Is it in the OT & NT?

M
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »

The term "lectionary" refers to the organized system of reading scripture, usually on a daily basis. 

http://www.bombaxo.com/greek.html

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »

Fwiw, here is part of what St. Justin Popovich had to say...

How should we read the Bible? Prayerfully and reverently, for in each word there is another drop of eternal truth, and all the words together make up the boundless ocean of the Eternal Truth.

The Bible is not a book but life; because its words are "spirit and life" (John 6:63). Therefore its words can be comprehended if we study them with the spirit of its spirit, and with the life of its life.

It is a book that must be read with life--by putting it into practice. One should first live it, and then understand it...

At first one usually reads the Bible quickly, and then more and more slowly, until finally he will begin to read not even word by word, because in each word he is discovering an everlasting truth and an ineffable mystery.

Every day read at least one chapter from the Old and the New Testament; but side by side with this put a virtue from each into practice. Practice it until it becomes a habit to you.

--How to Read the Bible and Why

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »

Very nice.  Thanks, Asteriktos.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »

I suppose "as often as you can" would be the ideal. Often I set out with a goal of a set schedule, but I don't make it... I seem to read it about once a week or two. That is, other than hearing the passages in church.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
the_typist

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »

Shultz, I will add that link to my favorites. It is very informative.

Asteriktos, I will try to apply 1 chapter of the Old Testament and New Testament to my daily schedule.

Thank you both!

M
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: