OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:25:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Celtic Orthodoxy  (Read 8052 times) Average Rating: 0
Rustaveli
Constant In Opal... Ultramarine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Eastern Church

Saint Shota Rustaveli

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2004, 12:14:37 AM »

I quite agree with Etienne on two counts, which I glean from the last message:

First, that, although the ancient Western Liturgies are most fascinating and worthy of study, and that there is an affinity between some of the experiences of Orthodoxy in today's world and the life of the Church in Western Europe during the first millenium A.D. ...

[point the secondmost]

... how to resurrect a tradition that has been surpressed for so long ....?

... indeed, this may not be a question of "how", but "why" - given that the Byzantine Liturgy, although it has undergone slow, organic change, has been continually the wellspring of spritual life in the Church in unbroken succession throughout the centuries, I'm not sure why a recussitated Western Rite is callled for.

As a product of mostly Angle-ish and Saxon genes, I must admit that I (nonetheless) very likely have little "cultural affinty" of a specific nature in, say, Nineth-Century England, for instance ...

However, the lives of the Saints of Orthodox England (and elsewhere) can be a source of great inspiration.

(I highly recommend Vladimir Moss's volume "Saints of England's Golden Age", in this arena).

I'm quite fascinated, historically and liturgically, with the Old Roman, Beneventan, and Mozarabic / Visigothic "rites" or local traditions;

... the chant recordings of "Ensemble Organum" are both fascinating and beautiful with regard to a modern attempt to "re-create" these rites, at least musically -

And I'm reading a book entitled "Daily Prayer in Christian Spain: A Study of the Mozarabic Office" by Fr. Graham Woolfenden, a "priest of the (Russian) Orthodox Church" (back cover notes)!!

Examining these various traditions seems to me to emphasize the universality of the Church, from East to West, in all times and places ("Unity in essentials, diversity in accidentals" - Blessed Augustine), and the connectivity between them as the Holy Spirit moves in the world;

As far as participating in this continual, universal Liturgy, however, I believe that Etienne's reflections on continuity and living tradition are right on target.

Anywho[/i][/u], where "East" and "West" are depends on where one happens to be standing on the Earth's outer crust at any given moment -

and doesn't that Ooooole'-Timey hymn say [quoting a reliable source] that,

"In Christ there is no..." etc., etc. ....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 12:30:05 AM by Rustaveli » Logged
Rustaveli
Constant In Opal... Ultramarine

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Eastern Church

Saint Shota Rustaveli

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2004, 12:24:32 AM »

P.S. -

Etienne,

I may have missed the answer to this question in other threads, but I must ask...

Are you a llama by choice or by default?Huh

[... this may bear heavily upon the issue of inherent or free-will Westerness, Byzantinism, Anglo-Saxonism, or divers other maladies...]

:cwm40:

Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 12:27:43 AM by Rustaveli » Logged
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2004, 10:09:18 AM »

I am a llama by default, being a fifty something technophobe. As I neither spit nor bite but rather growl it seems highly inappropriate, particularly as South America is one continent I have no familial or other link with.

As to western liturgical practice, I did hear some Gaelic Scots singing psalms in the ancient style some years back. It was beautiful but very different from the 'modern' style of singing, especially the 'sloozey' stuff so loved of modern presentation of Irish and Scots traditional music.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 10:22:23 AM by Etienne » Logged

It is afterwards that events are best understood
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: