OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 09:38:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenism in Catholicism (and Orthodoxy)  (Read 1122 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: August 24, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »

Although this thread is about ecumenism, I don't want to make it into yet another pro/con ecumenism debate. So I'm going to employ the phrase “problematic ecumenism” without attempting to say whether there is such a thing as ecumenism that isn't problematic.

Alright, now here's the question I would like to pose to the Orthodox: if you believe that “problematic ecumenism” exists within Catholicism (and even especially if you believe it is much more pervasive in Catholicism than in Orthodoxy), what advice would you give to us Catholics?

(I realize that there might be some for whose only advice is “Leave Catholicism”. You're welcome to post that, but I'm hoping there will be some other responses as well.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »

For you, Peter: Leave Catholicism. Grin

For others: Doesn't it all come down to better catechesis?

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »

What about Catholic ecumenism do you think is problematic?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

Peter specifically asked us not to discuss that point. Let's at least wait until the next page before we derail!

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:51:58 PM »

Peter specifically asked us not to discuss that point. Let's at least wait until the next page before we derail!

LOL this was funny Cheesy

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »

I think that problematic ecumenism comes from watering down what you believe in order to make i more palatable for another faith to accept.  I am in favor with an ecumenism that constructively teaches other faiths what you believe without condemning the other faith for their beliefs.  I will admit to not closely following Catholic ecumenism, but the things like the NO mass and the "hip and cool" worship styles are IMO, examples of problematic ecumenism.  Catholic leaders who are willing to meet w/ Orthodox or Protestant leaders to explain better the Catholic faith are examples of good ecumenism.  It does no one any good if the Orthodox believe that Catholics think that everything the Pope says is infallible or for Protestants to think that you worship Mary as a god.  Good ecumenism will explain the doctrine and logic of your position, to allow the other side to understand it better, even if they in the end, may not agree with it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »

Including protestant ministers in a committee which decides on what the new liturgy will be like.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »

Well, I guess that could be on topic, depending how you answer. (See Cyrillic's ^^ post.)

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 04:16:03 PM »

...if you believe that “problematic ecumenism” exists within Catholicism ...what advice would you give to us Catholics?

Follow the advice given by that wisest philosopher of our times: "I shall endeavor to become more cynical with each passing day, look gift horses squarely in the mouth, and find clouds in every silver lining."  Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »

Tbh, what I don't get is why the Orthodox are always accusing Roman Catholics of ecumenism when we are heading down the same road. I guess we'll just ignore and/or keep quiet the fact that some Orthodox Churches in America use female altar services and Apostle readers? Or that most jurisdictions don't require you to have Confession the night before receiving the Eucharist? Or that the Greeks have "Bible Studies" to appeal to Protestants? I could go on forever baby. It will only be a matter of time before we have our own equivalent of Vatican II and end up in the same lot as Rome.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »

Doesn't it all come down to better catechesis?

I don't know, I don't feel like that does justice to the complexity of the word "ecumenism".

For example, would you say that Catholics engaged in ecumenism 400+ years ago at the Union of Brest?

Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »

Or that most jurisdictions don't require you to have Confession the night before receiving the Eucharist?

I have no doubt that this practice is common among some, but whence does it come that this is necessary for one to confess each time he communes?

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »

Or that most jurisdictions don't require you to have Confession the night before receiving the Eucharist?

I have no doubt that this practice is common among some, but whence does it come that this is necessary for one to confess each time he communes?

Exactly. The frequency of your confession and communion should be regulated with the help of your spiritual father.

xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 12:13:57 AM »

Everything. I talked to a Catholic priest and he said "we are all Christians, we just messed up God's plan". Well, I don't believe that. Are people who believe that Marriage isn't a Sacrament Christians? Are people who believe that the Real Presence is pagan Christian?

I don't think so. And yet, that's the kind of Ecumenism we get from Rome. When, just a few hundred years before Pope Pius IX said:
"We define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."

Also, when the Magisterium of the Church decrees Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus, and Roman priests just disregard the tradition of the "Infallible" proclamations of the Magisterium and lie to people saying: "Don't worry about it." When their teachings clearly condemn me.

That's deceptive.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »

Tbh, what I don't get is why the Orthodox are always accusing Roman Catholics of ecumenism when we are heading down the same road. I guess we'll just ignore and/or keep quiet the fact that some Orthodox Churches in America use female altar services and Apostle readers? Or that most jurisdictions don't require you to have Confession the night before receiving the Eucharist? Or that the Greeks have "Bible Studies" to appeal to Protestants? I could go on forever baby. It will only be a matter of time before we have our own equivalent of Vatican II and end up in the same lot as Rome.

This, to me, seems like a key indicator. Not in any one specific area, but in general: it seems that there is a horror at the thought of Orthodox taking even a step down the "ecumenism road" (as it were) that Catholics have already gone down.

I think that, for us Catholics, it's hard to know what to make of that.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »

Everything. I talked to a Catholic priest and he said "we are all Christians, we just messed up God's plan". Well, I don't believe that. Are people who believe that Marriage isn't a Sacrament Christians? Are people who believe that the Real Presence is pagan Christian?

I don't think so. And yet, that's the kind of Ecumenism we get from Rome. When, just a few hundred years before Pope Pius IX said:
"We define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."

Also, when the Magisterium of the Church decrees Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus, and Roman priests just disregard the tradition of the "Infallible" proclamations of the Magisterium and lie to people saying: "Don't worry about it." When their teachings clearly condemn me.

That's deceptive.

The "everyone goes to heaven if they are good" idea has been around for a long time and is not unique to Catholics.  Some Orthodox believe this as well.  What I have found is most knowledgeable Catholics understand the basic flaw and do not agree.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

I'd also mention, what is it with Roman Catholics marrying outside of the Church and the Priests not doing anything? AFAIK, don't you have to be married within the Church or face ex-communication? I've met several practicing Roman Catholics who are constantly getting married outside of the Church in court or marrying people of different religions (like Jews) and yet nothing happens to them and the Church doesn't do anything.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »

I'd also mention, what is it with Roman Catholics marrying outside of the Church and the Priests not doing anything? AFAIK, don't you have to be married within the Church or face ex-communication? I've met several practicing Roman Catholics who are constantly getting married outside of the Church in court or marrying people of different religions (like Jews) and yet nothing happens to them and the Church doesn't do anything.

You've "met several Roman Catholics who are constantly getting married..."?  What's up with that?  How does one constantly get married?

There is much that one could find fault about with the Catholic Church, especially in the U.S., but that really wasn't the purpose of this thread, I believe.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »

You've "met several Roman Catholics who are constantly getting married..."?  What's up with that?  How does one constantly get married?

There is much that one could find fault about with the Catholic Church, especially in the U.S., but that really wasn't the purpose of this thread, I believe.

Maybe these are people who are repeatedly renewing their vows.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »

Manalive!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »

Manalive!

What about himHuh

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean him.

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »

I think ecumenism is easier to point out in Catholicism because you have a single place to point at. If someone doesn't like who the Ecumenical Patriarch is paying visits to, they can just say "well, he's not my bishop" and pretend that their little cloister of Orthodoxy is protected.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 11:16:26 PM »

I think that problematic ecumenism comes from watering down what you believe in order to make i more palatable for another faith to accept.  I am in favor with an ecumenism that constructively teaches other faiths what you believe without condemning the other faith for their beliefs.  I will admit to not closely following Catholic ecumenism, but the things like the NO mass and the "hip and cool" worship styles are IMO, examples of problematic ecumenism.  Catholic leaders who are willing to meet w/ Orthodox or Protestant leaders to explain better the Catholic faith are examples of good ecumenism.  It does no one any good if the Orthodox believe that Catholics think that everything the Pope says is infallible or for Protestants to think that you worship Mary as a god.  Good ecumenism will explain the doctrine and logic of your position, to allow the other side to understand it better, even if they in the end, may not agree with it.

Ok, what if any are we able to compromise on?  What is the Vatican willing to compromise on?  This is what it all comes down to.
What Theological Dogmas are we missing in the Orthodox Church?  What fullness is lacking in the Orthodox Church? 
Compromise is when you give up something you believe in.  And please don't come across with the parallel theological arrangement of the Eastern Catholic churches....   

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »

Where did I say anything about compromise? Where did anyone suggest compromise?  Huh

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 08:43:41 AM »

Manalive!

I mean him:

Manalive (1912) is a book by G. K. Chesterton

... is wanted on charges of burglary, desertion of a spouse, polygamy, and attempted murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manalive

(Especially the chapter called, iirc, "The Wild Weddings".)

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »

Where did I say anything about compromise? Where did anyone suggest compromise?  Huh

So , whats the point of this topic, or am I misinterpreting what Ecumenism is exactly?
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »

So , whats the point of this topic, or am I misinterpreting what Ecumenism is exactly?
The point of the topic is: Assuming there is problematic ecumenism going on in the RC Church, what advice would Orthodox Christians give to the RCs on how to get rid of "bad" ecumenism and presumably only have "good" ecumenism (if there is such a thing)

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »

Do those vows expire or something?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »

Do those vows expire or something?
Depends if you go for the lease option.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

I thought that was only available in Iran (Shi'a Islam).
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 11:11:09 AM »

I thought that was only available in Iran (Shi'a Islam).
Possibly.  In the US, most prefer short term rentals.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: