OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:18:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Melkites as liberal as AOCA?  (Read 3746 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: May 02, 2011, 01:54:48 AM »

Is the Melkite Greek Catholic Church in America considered as liberal as the AOCA is?  Are they about the same on issues such as bending the rules with liturgy and forbidding priest from wearing cassocks on the street?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:35:11 AM »

roflcopter, i'm an AOCA and i'm slightly offended... Embarrassed
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »

You're also in the most conservative diocese. Wink

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Samn!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:07 AM »

In my experience, the Melkite Greek Catholics in the US are often somewhat more liturgically traditional than the Antiochian Archdiocese, likely because their membership includes a fair number of Latin Catholics who transferred after being fed up with Latin liturgical chaos. However, in the Middle East it's very much the opposite. Outside of a couple monasteries, Greek Catholic liturgies in the Middle East are often radically shortened or otherwise altered or Latinized. Many churches lack iconostases, etc. Not to mention their practice of receiving communion by intinction, a result of French paranoia about germs in the 1930's......
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »

So the Melkites use unleavened bread in the Middle East (Or is it the Maronites that your talking about)?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:19:01 PM »

Those who you refer to as liberal in the Antiochian Archdiocese in North America, do not see a difference between the Melkites and the Orthodox. This is part of the issue. This groups may be a very visible group but, they are small in number and great in age.

Joseph
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »

They use leavened bread, but they receive it by intinction, that is dipped in the wine rather than spooned out from the chalice. Apparently this was under the influence of French priests who were appalled by the apparent lack of hygiene in the Orthodox practice...
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »

They use leavened bread, but they receive it by intinction, that is dipped in the wine rather than spooned out from the chalice. Apparently this was under the influence of French priests who were appalled by the apparent lack of hygiene in the Orthodox practice...

Whether dipped or spooned, both are intinction.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »

Do the Melkites in the Eparchy of Newton have altar girls? I could have swore I saw altar girls in the Canadian Eparchy.
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:17 AM »

Not sure about the Melkites, but Antiochians have altar girls in Lebanon (although not everywhere) and in Germany.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 02:25:22 AM »

I simply cannot believe that the Antiochians are liberal.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 02:32:36 AM »

Not sure about the Melkites, but Antiochians have altar girls in Lebanon (although not everywhere) and in Germany.

The Maronites do too. As an American Roman Catholic, I guess you can thank me for it. We started it (without permission).

Sorry. Sad

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 02:48:13 AM »

Source, please.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:48:27 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 04:21:17 AM »

Palm Sunday 2011, St. George Antiochian Church Berlin:
http://antiocheurope.com/Images/Albums/Palm%20Day%20in%20Berlin-PhotoAlbum.html

Butzbach:
http://antiocheurope.com/Images/Albums/Butzbach-PhotoAlbum02.html

Palm Sunday 2009, St. George Antiochian Church Berlin:
http://antiocheurope.com/Ar/News-2009/Germany/Palm-day2009.html

Munster-Osnabruck parish:
http://antiocheurope.com/Ar/News%202008/25-10-2008.html

Achim parish:
http://www.rum-orthodox.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=1

Berlin:
http://www.rum-orthodox.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=1

Al Saydeh (Our Lady) Church, Ashrafieh, Beirut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x70ecvRBuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7R9YWFYJ-s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0PjePaqvWE
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 04:29:16 AM »

I'm perfectly OK with this. Why had female Deacons, why not to have female Subdeacons, Readers or Acolytes?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:19 AM »

Why had female Deacons, why not to have female Subdeacons, Readers or Acolytes?

Because the female Deaconate was a non-liturgical function (essentially ministering to women where it would have been inappropriate for male clergy to do so). Subdeacons, Readers and Acolytes have no function outside of the context of liturgy.

That being said, I don't understand why so many people are shocked and appalled because a couple of churches here and there let a little girl carry a candle around when its the norm in nearly all non-Greek churches to have women acting as Readers (with the exception of the Epistle reading) and Chanters. Shows how 'liberal' and 'traditional' have little to do with following Church tradition, but correspond to 'unusual' and 'commonplace'.
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 05:18:56 AM »

Do the truest of Orthodox, the old Believers have female lectors?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 05:41:46 AM »

Because the female Deaconate was a non-liturgical function (essentially ministering to women where it would have been inappropriate for male clergy to do so). Subdeacons, Readers and Acolytes have no function outside of the context of liturgy.

Communing in front of the altar table isn't a liturgical function?

its the norm in nearly all non-Greek churches to have women acting as Readers (with the exception of the Epistle reading)

Women read Epistle at my Parish although no one is a tonsured reader.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:53:51 AM »

The truest of them don't even have priests, so not sure how reliable they are when it comes to the question of correct liturgical practice.

More traditional groups do not have female lectors. Others, like the Church of the Nativity in Erie, do. The reasons they give for this is the lack of men during wartime which meant women had to fill in for them - it's a recent development.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:02:59 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »

Communing in front of the altar table isn't a liturgical function?

No, it's receiving Holy Communion in the altar. Emperors/Empresses did the same.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »

I don't see any clear indication that the females when behind the iconostasis in any of the pictures or videos. But one of the videos does appear to have a layman censing the gifts during the Great Entrance.
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »

Well I guess everyone sees what he/she wants to see. Why are they wearing these sticharions then?

From this article about the Pan-Orthodox celebration of Sunday of Orthodoxy (with Roman Catholic bishops present there) in Cologne this year at the St. Demetrios Antiochian Church:

http://www.dveri.bg/content/view/12926/33/

Many of the priests and faithful were impressed by the fact that there were also little girls, not only boys, among the subdeacons* who hepled during the liturgy. Thus the Patriarchate of Antioch contributes to the revival of the ancient practice of participation of deaconesses in the Orthodox service**.

* I guess the author simply meant altar servers/acolytes, not subdeacons.
** I think it's just the impression of the author. I'm not sure if the Antiochian Patriarchate has any plans for reviving female diaconate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPPvJ2Tzug - 00:27

Palm Sunday in the Cathedral of Beirut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmHn6xPy9E
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:37:04 AM by ag_vn » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »

I don't see any clear indication that the females when behind the iconostasis in any of the pictures or videos. But one of the videos does appear to have a layman censing the gifts during the Great Entrance.

I am a layman.  I used to be an altar server.  All the altar servers, with the exception later on of a subdeacon, were laymen.  One of us always censed the gifts during the Great Entrance.  It was rarely the subdeacon.  Is there a canon somewhere that forbids this?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:45:41 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »

I am a layman.  I used to be an altar server.  All the altar servers, with the exception later on of a subdeacon, were laymen.  One of us always censed the gifts during the Great Entrance.  It was rarely the subdeacon.  Is there a canon somewhere that forbids this?
No, it's a common practice.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »

No, it's a common practice.

So, it shouldn't be problematic, right?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »

In Poland the Deacon keeps censer during the Great Entrance. If there aren't any - one of the Acolytes keeps. There are no Subdeacons unless there is a Hierarchical service.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »

In Poland the Deacon keeps censer during the Great Entrance. If there aren't any - one of the Acolytes keeps. There are no Subdeacons unless there is a Hierarchical service.

Seem from my point of view..Although our Deacon was ordained Sub-deacon during his studies for the Diaconate.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »

It's interesting to hear that there is a long standing tradition of female servers and lectors in the non Greek Churches.  Just goes to show that those in the RCC who claim that female altar girls and readers are not traditional are sadly mistaken. 

Also, why do Greek Orthodox oppose women in these positions while the rest of world Orthodoxy has no problem with them?

-- Gustave Flaubert
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46:44 AM »

It's interesting to hear that there is a long standing tradition of female servers and lectors in the non Greek Churches.  Just goes to show that those in the RCC who claim that female altar girls and readers are not traditional are sadly mistaken. 

Also, why do Greek Orthodox oppose women in these positions while the rest of world Orthodoxy has no problem with them?

Please no. I don't want altar girls in my parishes, honestly (fine with lots of women in the pews), but sacrifice is a man's job.

I don't understand why you guys should want them either.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 12:51:24 AM »

Please no. I don't want altar girls in my parishes, honestly (fine with lots of women in the pews), but sacrifice is a man's job.

Some of us, out of a concern for female believers and the possession of the royal priesthood, are interested in allowing the incorporation of females in ministry to the greatest degree that is reasonably possible without violating Tradition. There are clearly disagreements as to what that degree is, but I hope you can understand the motivation behind it.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »

I did not see any female altar servers in the video.
A couple of young girls were walking around outside the altar area, but so were some little boys.
However, those children were not wearing any vestments typical of altar servers.

Well I guess everyone sees what he/she wants to see. Why are they wearing these sticharions then?

From this article about the Pan-Orthodox celebration of Sunday of Orthodoxy (with Roman Catholic bishops present there) in Cologne this year at the St. Demetrios Antiochian Church:

http://www.dveri.bg/content/view/12926/33/

Many of the priests and faithful were impressed by the fact that there were also little girls, not only boys, among the subdeacons* who hepled during the liturgy. Thus the Patriarchate of Antioch contributes to the revival of the ancient practice of participation of deaconesses in the Orthodox service**.

* I guess the author simply meant altar servers/acolytes, not subdeacons.
** I think it's just the impression of the author. I'm not sure if the Antiochian Patriarchate has any plans for reviving female diaconate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPPvJ2Tzug - 00:27

Palm Sunday in the Cathedral of Beirut - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmHn6xPy9E
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:54:19 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »

The RCC who claim that female readers are not traditional are spot on.

Simply because the Greek Orthodox are far more conservative in this respect.

I'm assuming that female readers became the norm when Western-influenced choir music replaced the traditional forms of liturgical chant in the Slavic Churches in the 17th Century. Other than that, it's simply a question of need. If you don't have ordained readers to read, a layperson has to do it. Since this issue concerns a clergy-laity distinction rather than a male-female distinction, it really doesn't matter whether its a layman or a laywoman who fills in.
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »

I did not see any female altar servers in the video.
A couple of young girls were walking around outside the altar area, but so were some little boys.
However, those children were not wearing any vestments typical of altar servers.

At 00:27 I think it is a girl coming out from behind the iconostasis carrying a ripidion and wearing a purple sticharion.

Here for example one of the children carrying the candles and wearing these vestments is a girl and is behind the iconostasis in two of the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23687464@N03/3736148697/in/set-72157621705086294/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23687464@N03/3736151171/in/set-72157621705086294/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23687464@N03/3736947004/in/set-72157621705086294/

I guess some people would call them 'altar girls', others would call them just girls wearing sticharion and carrying around candles and ripidions. Anyway. I just don't think these girls are the major problem of the Antiochian Patriarchate. There are far more bad things.
admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »

That's a pretty explosive comment to make on this board.

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »

I guess some people would call them 'altar girls', others would call them just girls wearing sticharion and carrying around candles and ripidions. Anyway. I just don't think these girls are the major problem of the Antiochian Patriarchate. There are far more bad things.

If they are a problem.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »

Is that because you have acolytes in hierarchical services fulfilling the duties of a subdeacon?  What about those men ordained to the subdiaconate?  Surely they do what I do which is read the hours, assist the choir or serve in the altar? There is always the Holy Table to clean and make proper week by week anyway and that is work for subdeacons regardless if no bishop is present.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:36:23 PM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »

Priests can clean the altar.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »

Because we live in an equal opportunity society which strives to promote equal dignity for both men and women.  Excluding women from  function which they are not required to be under Church regulations may smack of sexism to some and discrimination to others.

Like it or not, women are the real backbone of Christianity and the ones you usually find in church at any given hour lighting candles and helping the priest out.  We shouldn't seek to exclude them from the Church, but instead welcome them in to a greater role in building up Gods kingdom.

-- Gustave Flaubert
smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »

Is that because you have acolytes in hierarchical services fulfilling the duties of a subdeacon?  What about those men ordained to the subdiaconate?  Surely they do what I do which is read the hours, assist the choir or serve in the altar? There is always the Holy Table to clean and make proper week by week anyway and that is work for subdeacons regardless if no bishop is present.

For better or for worse, many parishes do not have an ordained subdeacon.  In some jurisdictions, the order is nearly extinct; in others, well, there just isn't a subdeacon in the parish.  In the state I live in, for example, there are two subdeacons for five ROCOR churches.

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »

It's curious that you even need to say that you're "fine with lots of women in the pews" -- do you know a lot of people who aren't fine with lots of women in the pews?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 08:42:53 AM »

That's a pretty explosive comment to make on this board.

-Nick

I thought the Oriental Orthodox were the "truest of Orthodox".

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 09:36:50 AM »

Because we live in an equal opportunity society which strives to promote equal dignity for both men and women.  Excluding women from  function which they are not required to be under Church regulations may smack of sexism to some and discrimination to others.

Like it or not, women are the real backbone of Christianity and the ones you usually find in church at any given hour lighting candles and helping the priest out.  We shouldn't seek to exclude them from the Church, but instead welcome them in to a greater role in building up Gods kingdom.

If women are the backbone (and I would generally agree), why do they need a liturgical role to feel validated? Sounds like we simply need to do a better job of recognizing the work they already do.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »

My grandmother set up a Parish, built a Church and have been shouting at the Priest there.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2011, 10:22:36 AM »

I'm perfectly OK with this. Why had female Deacons, why not to have female Subdeacons, Readers or Acolytes?

Deaconesses were not female deacons.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »

If I was in the AOCA, I would be offended at what Met Philip is doing too.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: