OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:48:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 2 - Pages 49 - 83  (Read 1098 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« on: July 03, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

HOUSEKEEPING STUFF:

If you have a question (or questions) or a thought / discussion provoking statement (or statements) you would like, please reply to this post with the following in the Subject line to make your questions or statements easier to find: 

Subject:  Question - page number referring to

or

Subject:  Discussion Statement - page number referring to

(Example:  Subject:  Question - Page 12)

Please limit two questions or statements to a reply, but post as many replies as you wish.

If you are answering a Question or a Statement - please quote the Question or Statement in your reply so that we can follow and confusion will be kept to a minimum. 

Thanks!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »

One of the first books I read when I was preparing to enter into the Orthodox Church was the Sayings of the Desert Fathers.  When I read a book, I tend to read it from cover to cover - except for may the glossary - with that said, I read the introduction of the Sayings of the Desert Fathers.  In the introduction, there was a caution that I should try to with hold any judgments I might have as the culture was very different from the culture in which I now live. 

That caution was worth the price of the book all in itself. 

As I continued to read 'Wounded by Love' - from the first chapter, I caught myself judging a little here, a little there.  Not big judgments. . .but just big enough to help me to miss this important life lesson or that important 'gentle' nudge to my spirit for my benefit and growth. 

So I backed up and pushed the flowery language aside. . . and the other things that - because of my cultural difference - were actually worth precious little in the point of life and growth.

The first half of the book is written in a very similar style to some other books I've read:  First the life story in short short summary, then the nuggets of wisdom.  I haven't gotten to the nuggets of wisdom, yet. . .since we're not there, yet... and it would be easy to say, "Well, this is the life summary, it's done, now I can get to the good stuff."

And then there is this statement. . .this letter of apology Elder Porphyrios writes.  And in this letter of apology, Elder Porphyrios writes that he was a constant sinner and for this reason he became ill and had to leave Mt. Athos. 

The last two months have been hard for me getting used to a life change that I desperately needed, but didn't quite expect to be quite so complicated.  But in it's complications, it's returned some things to my life that I've resolved to abandon to 'this is how the cookie crumbles' type of thing.

Only in it, I'm finding that there was something so much more important taking those things place.  I could relate to Elder Porphyrios. 

With each thing I said good-bye too, there was something much more important taking its place.  So important, that when I receive the opportunity to receive that something back. . . my first gut response is . . . 'no. . .thank you.'

The difference between living in Him - the One Holy Trinity and . . .living in . . me, myself, and I. . .that very unholy trinity. 

When I think about this, I realize that everyone on the planet has dreams that are unfulfilled. . .undone. . .and unrealized.  I have a choice, I can be wounded by them - injured. . .or I can give them to Him. . .and be loved through them to something intimate to His heart. . . and isn't knowing His heart what it's all about?

It is a good thing to leave the judgment behind and just . . .listen.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »

What examples did Elder Porphyrios leave for you that you can apply to your life?

What was the most memorable event you read, and why do you think it was meaningful for you?

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »

What examples did Elder Porphyrios leave for you that you can apply to your life?

Elder Porphyrios longed to be in Mt. Athens from the time he was a young boy - yet when it was decided he would/could no longer stay there, he went forward.  He didn't look back.  He sought to keep his sanctuary in his heart, mind and soul. . .and didn't let life's limitations prevent him from the monasticism he sought.

It seems to me that it really doesn't matter what my circumstances are. . .or **laughing** who's mad at me THIS week??!!  He is Peace, and He is in my heart. . .and IN HIM. . .I have sanctuary.

What was the most memorable event you read, and why do you think it was meaningful for you?

Pg 64 - He rains on the righteous and on the unrighteous. 

The story of the house blessing when Elder Porphyrios found himself in a house of ill repute. . . that just blessed my socks off.  Smiley   

It's so easy to forget the beauty and humanity of someone in their struggle with sin and spiritual illness.  It's so easy to point a finger. . .this story was just a delight to read. 

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
quietmorning
Archon

St. Photini

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:25:03 PM »

**bump**

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Tags: Wounded by Love