OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:23:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Entrance blessing?  (Read 1482 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »

During Divine Liturgy this morning, the clergy processed around the Church with chalices. I'm assuming that this was the Great Entrance. But some people brought out mats and knelt on them outside the pews. As Father passed them he would hold the chalice above their heads and bless them.

Is this a common thing? Could I, as an inquirer, do it?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »

At our church, the priest blesses all of the children with the chalice but generally not the adults. Children who have not been baptized/chrismated are also blessed, so I don't see why it should be a problem for you to get a blessing, but then again, different parishes have different rules so you might want to ask the priest or a deacon (or anyone else who might know). 
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »

how interesting! I've only seen the priest bless everyone from the ambo with the chalice. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »

During Divine Liturgy this morning, the clergy processed around the Church with chalices. I'm assuming that this was the Great Entrance. But some people brought out mats and knelt on them outside the pews. As Father passed them he would hold the chalice above their heads and bless them.

I've always been taught it is not "correct" to prostrate during the great entrance other than during the Liturgy of the Pre-sanctified Gifts (the difference being, of course, than during the Pre-sanctified Liturgy, the entrance is made with the Precious Gifts, not ordinary bread and wine).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »

I've always been taught it is not "correct" to prostrate during the great entrance other than during the Liturgy of the Pre-sanctified Gifts (the difference being, of course, than during the Pre-sanctified Liturgy, the entrance is made with the Precious Gifts, not ordinary bread and wine).
and we traditionally don't prostrate during Bright Week, either.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »

and we traditionally don't prostrate during Bright Week, either.

Indeed!

I confess to being one of those people who prostrates during the epiclesis, even on Sundays (gasp).

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »

What is the national tradition of the church you visited? It is common in the Romanian tradition for everyone to kneel during the Great Entrance, and it is also common for the clergy to bless people by holding things like chalices and Gospel books over them in liturgical contexts, including in Divine Liturgies.

Such things do happen in many Orthodox traditions, even in the Byzantine tradition, but just a lot less frequently and only in certain contexts. The Romanians do this type of thing a lot, and they also kneel way more than any other Orthodox tradition (including multiple times on Sunday).

I've never seen anyone bring mats, though. Sounds kind of OO, actually, or maybe just a peculiar tradition of the particular village/region where the people in this parish come from?

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »

It's Antiochian.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

It's Antiochian.
If it's a heavily ethnic parish, it might be a Middle Eastern custom. I haven't seen it in any Antiochian parishes that I have visited.
Subdeacon Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

I confess to being one of those people who prostrates during the epiclesis, even on Sundays (gasp).

Same here, and I am unapologetic about it.  The canons about praying "on bended knees" on Sundays seem to have been understood differently in different times and places, and I'm afraid that their extension to precluding prostrations at the epiklesis on Sundays leaves me entirely unconvinced.  It is also the view of my bishop that "there is room for such variety in the Church" so I am not being disobedient in doing what my heart calls me to do at the most awesome part of the Church's corporate worship of its Creator.

M

'There is nothing upon earth holier, higher, grander, more solemn, more life-giving than the Liturgy. The church, at this particular time, becomes an earthly heaven; those who officiate represent Christ Himself, the angels, the cherubim, seraphim and apostles.' - St John of Kronstadt
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »

Outside of the Paschal season everyone in the altar prostrates at the epiclesis

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:53 PM »

Interesting. At my parish, the servers in the altar at the Paschal Liturgy only make a low bow at the epiclesis, not a prostration. However, otherwise, it is always a full prostration, even during Bright Week.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

how interesting! I've only seen the priest bless everyone from the ambo with the chalice. 

I've seen both. The restoration of the Great Entrance procession has come into practice among some priests and jurisdictions over the past few decades.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »

What is the national tradition of the church you visited? It is common in the Romanian tradition for everyone to kneel during the Great Entrance, and it is also common for the clergy to bless people by holding things like chalices and Gospel books over them in liturgical contexts, including in Divine Liturgies.

Such things do happen in many Orthodox traditions, even in the Byzantine tradition, but just a lot less frequently and only in certain contexts. The Romanians do this type of thing a lot, and they also kneel way more than any other Orthodox tradition (including multiple times on Sunday).

I've never seen anyone bring mats, though. Sounds kind of OO, actually, or maybe just a peculiar tradition of the particular village/region where the people in this parish come from?

The Carpatho-Russians kneel as do the Romanians, but not at the Great Entrance, excepting for Pre-Sanctified Liturgy.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »

If the church isn't heavily ethnic, it may be a Weird Convert Thing. I can say this, since I'm a convert. It's funny sometimes. One person does something out of the ordinary, and then several more do it, too. At my mostly convert church, at the trisagion, we used to only make three metanias, and then after "with strength," we would just cross ourselves and bow a little. Now, for some odd reason, people are doing four metanias.

I have only seen blessing with the chalice during the great entrance once, with a rather strange, now ex-priest, and a woman who had cancer. I'm not really sure what the point of great entrance blessings is. I view them the same way I view icon veneration after communion. People are about to, or have just received Christ, why venerate/get blessed by an icon or that which is not yet Christ? I don't really get it.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

Interesting. At my parish, the servers in the altar at the Paschal Liturgy only make a low bow at the epiclesis, not a prostration. However, otherwise, it is always a full prostration, even during Bright Week.

we don't prostrate in the altar at all from Pascha to Pentecost

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »

I've seen this at St. Michael's in Louisville, KY, an Antiochian Parish which has people from various traditions including Greek, Russian and Arab.

I've never liked the idea of the priest blessing individuals as he does the Great Entrance.  IMHO, such an act ceases from being liturgy, work of the people, to work of the few.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »

I've seen this at St. Michael's in Louisville, KY, an Antiochian Parish which has people from various traditions including Greek, Russian and Arab.
That's the parish.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »

In Greece, during the Epiclesis, everyone bows their heads, some bow at the waist, and everyone remains dead silent during the entirety of the Anaphora.
In our parish, we do not kneel on Sunday, however the Priest will prostrate at the epiclesis if the Liturgy isn't on a Sunday. Otherwise a deep bow at the waist is made after the third Amen. (though obviously that isn't always typical)

I haven't heard of that practice with the Great Entrance though. I know they are still blessed and will become the body & blood of Christ, but is the veneration showed because of what they will become later on in the Liturgy?
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:30 PM »

While we're on the topic of prostrations and kneeling on Sundays and all that ...

I was talking to one of my cousins about prostrating during the Divine Liturgy and she, although brought up in the Orthodox faith and a sometime church-attender, was not aware that we even make prostrations.

There is something scandalous about this, I believe, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

smithakd
Dcn Andrew Smith

Jurisdiction: Australia

Orthodox Christian Deacon and Author

intro2orthodoxy
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 05:26:47 AM »

That's the parish.

I've only ever seen this in Antiochian churches - and heavily "ethnic" Antiochian churches, at that - where some people would bow during the Great Entrance and the priest would place the chalice on their heads.

Dcn Andrew Smith

Author: Discover the Church: The Whats and Whys of Orthodox Christianity and Footsteps of the Apostles: 110 ways to promote church growth in your Orthodox parish.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »

That's the parish.

I've only ever seen this in Antiochian churches - and heavily "ethnic" Antiochian churches, at that - where some people would bow during the Great Entrance and the priest would place the chalice on their heads.
It's a custom very common among Romanians as well. Makes me glad to know  Arabs have it too.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: