OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:44:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Several prayers....  (Read 244 times) Average Rating: 0
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« on: May 16, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »

I don't quite want to start several prayer threads, so I am going to put everything under this one thread. I would really appreciate your prayers and insight on these issues, if you have any!

Godparents: As one of the last steps before being chrismated/married into the Church, I need to find a koumbari...a supposedly easy task made impossible because I have never known someone Orthodox (other than some friends from the past who were just born in faith and never practiced it). It will take some time, obviously, because I don't want to pick just anybody. I have been speaking with some people from the church and I personally believe that I've already found the woman who I would like to be my koumbari.

My priest keeps asking me if I have anyone in mind yet, and I've been reluctant to tell him her name because we've only talked a few times, but I felt very comfortable talking with her, and she also seems like someone who really lives out her faith. I'm partly afraid that he's going to go to her first and talk to her about it, and I'm partly afraid that she wouldn't want to be my koumbari! I'm such an introvert (it's ridiculous), and I think that finding a godmother is a really big step. I would just like prayer for God's will to be done here. If she is meant to be my godmother/sponsor, I hope that our relationship will develop, and if not, I hope that I will be able to become more confident to talk to more people and find out who is meant for that role!

(By the way, it's unusual to have a godparent from the other gender, am I right?)

Friends: I'm thinking that they might even find this site in their research, but I love them both dearly, so here goes... Grin

My husband's best friend and one of my best friends are in a serious relationship. They've had some spiritual struggles over the past few years (very much resembling our own struggle with non-denominational Christianity, as we knew the same people and attended the same churches), and they stopped going to church.

Over the past weekend, several people have come to us and asked about attending church with us, because we apparently can't shut up about Orthodoxy. Our two friends also stated that they wanted to recommit themselves to the faith and find a church.

While we would love to steer them towards Orthodoxy (and we have discussed it with them), they feel like they have been pushed into certain denominations and condemned for their beliefs, so we will be just answering questions, listening to their concerns, and praying for them. They did say that they plan to at least visit an Orthodox church to see for themselves, but they are also looking for other options. Honestly, I think that Orthodoxy is going to be the best for them, but I pray that they find their way. Lord have mercy.

I would appreciate prayers for my husband and I as we share our faith with these people, because they are very important to us, and it has been such a surprise that people are telling us that they want to go to church! It feels like a big responsibility. I've been there in the charismatic church -- I feel like I led people to tumble down a cliff and I don't want to do that again! I just hope that we can handle the responsibility before us. I can't believe how fast God moves sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:34:29 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »

Lord, have mercy! How exciting/scary it must be to have the opportunity to show your friends your faith.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »

Lord have mercy! Praying...

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: