OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 08:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hayla Mikael/St Sosimas, Who is this???  (Read 2750 times) Average Rating: 0
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« on: May 01, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

As the title says, who is this??? I know he's connected somehow to the EOTC, but can find nothing else about him.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:33 PM »

Bakhayla Mikael (a.k.a. Zosimas) is the mysterious author of:
1. the Book of the Mysteries of the Heavens and the Earth (an apocalyptic work supposedly revealed by the Archangel Gabriel in the 15th century),
2. an explanation of the Book of Revelation,
3. a discourse on the Godhead and the Holy Trinity,
4. a discourse on the birth of Enoch.

All these works were translated by E. A. Wallis Budge and can be ordered from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Book-Mysteries-Heavens-Earth-Bakhayla/dp/0892540877). I'm not sure about their orthodoxy though, as they are considered to be "a must-read for students of the occult and Enochian magic" (http://www.spellbinderz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=316_66_67&products_id=1457).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:22:00 PM by Michał » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »

Thanks! So these works that he wrote are not really Orthodox then?
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:43 PM »

So these works that he wrote are not really Orthodox then?

I haven't read them so I'm not sure but the fact that they are claimed by some occultists is rather suspicious.
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »

Here is a passage from an essay which quotes two fragments of the Book of the Mysteries of the Heavens and the Earth:
In the medieval Book of the Mysteries of the Heavens and the Earth, we find God sending the archangel Michael into Sheol (hell) to rescue a man taken there by demons. He searched three times, each time bringing out some of the wicked before finding the man he was seeking.

And the number of those [souls] who through that man escaped from Sheol was five hundred and forty-six thousand. And some of these were heathen. And the angels said, "this thing is terrifying."
And our Lord saith in the Gospel, "He who believeth and who is baptized shall be saved, but he who believeth not shall be damned" (Mark xvi. 16). How then was it possible for these [souls] to escape? And thee, O son of man, hast thou heard that some of the heathen have been saved? [No doubt thou hast], but they did not enter the Garden (Paradise) without being baptized, for Michael baptized them, and they shone with splendour like the son. And the Holy Abbâ (Father) marvelled, and said, "Amânû'êl hath the power to do everything."

The same text, after mentioning "the Prophets and the sons of the Prophets, who have not found completely the baptism of life," speaks of the "two companies of prophets," evidently referring to those who are dead, in these terms:

They ascend out of Sheol and they settle themselves to rest in the Tabernacle. Now this taketh place on Sabbath days. Similarly among Christians, there are some who have been (or, who are) sinners, and in whom there is little of the grape; these shall not be repulsed. [Those who have received] a little of the grape are those who have received the Faith, that is to say the seal of baptism. Such shall not be destroyed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:41:05 PM by Michał » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42:29 PM »

So these works that he wrote are not really Orthodox then?

I haven't read them so I'm not sure but the fact that they are claimed by some occultists is rather suspicious.
I agree. The reason I brought this up is I found an Ethiopian Bible in English!!! Except it had Zosimus's name on it, and the seller wouldn't answer my questions as to whether it was the Old/New Ethiopian canon in it's entirety. Looks like this seller is a liar. Sad, because I've wanted the Ethiopian canon in English for ages.
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »

I agree. The reason I brought this up is I found an Ethiopian Bible in English!!! Except it had Zosimus's name on it . . .

Interesting. Can you offer a link to this "Ethiopian Bible in English," please? AFAIK, the Zosimas' book was used as a "Bible" by one of early Rastafari groups (the one led by Joseph Hibbert, who later on contributed to the establishing of the EOTC in Jamaica).

Sad, because I've wanted the Ethiopian canon in English for ages.

You can collect most of it -- if not all -- by buying and/or downloading separate books.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:05:18 PM by Michał » Logged
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:59:36 PM »

Just search Ethiopian Bible on eBay, it the first thing that comes up. The seller has a bunch of photo copies of the table of contents, which is how I know that it was connected to Hayla Mikael.

Do you have any links to where I can download all of the canon?
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »

Just search Ethiopian Bible on eBay, it the first thing that comes up.

It's not the Bible of the EOTC. It's an alleged (possibly heterodox or even heretical) commentary of it. It looks like it is the text which the Hibbert's Rastafarian group used as their Bible (they probably mistook it for the EOTC's Bible). I suppose that it is the same material as the one which was published later as "The Book of the Mysteries of the Heavens and the Earth And Other Works of Bakhayla Mikael (Zosimas)" (or at least some parts of the two overlap or are similar).

Do you have any links to where I can download all of the canon?

I will look for them and post them in this thread but it might take a while.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: