OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pray for me  (Read 4320 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« on: May 30, 2004, 08:20:07 PM »

Since this coming friday is a non-fasting day, I will be making BBQ. Alas I do not have time to make it from scratch. Therefore I will be using.........BJPaBS (Bottled Junk Posing as BBQ Sauce). Pray that I convert from these heathen ways.  

Anyways, at least I won't be craving BBQ during the fast thanks to this douptlessly horendous upcoming experience.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Columcille

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 08:29:06 PM »

Joe, you will just feel used and dirty once the deed is done.

Turn now before you commit this atrocity!!!

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 09:52:23 PM »

Joe, now...now, just THINK about what you're doing here...just PUT...the BOTTLE...DOWN.  Nothin' good ever came from it.  Postpone if you have to, man, just...just don't let those I3@$+@rd$ from Heinz get to you!!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »

Joe,
 :'(I am so sorry-This is not your fault. I just got back from the  Carolinas, and I was afraid my Yankee presence was going to upset some equlibrium in the universe. I now see it has. He's right, just put down the bottle and please forgive me. I had no idea it could this serious
PS
That clear Barbaque stuff looks funny but tastes good.  Smiley It would be good on a bagel! Grin

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 02:47:00 AM »

Thank you all for your concern.  I think I need to check myself into some sort of clinic.  

Perhaps this will ahve a good effect.  If I eat something so discusting, I may not be able to eat anything else in the entirety of the apostles fast--and thus my nous will be fully suppressed (considering I would be dead) and/or I would loose a lot of weight.

Spiros:  Glad to see you enjoyed our Southron Delicacies.  Did you get a chance to drink a glass of Sweet Tea while down there?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 09:42:55 PM »

Spiros:  Glad to see you enjoyed our Southron Delicacies.  Did you get a chance to drink a glass of Sweet Tea while down there?

Oddly enough, not this trip. Did have an RC Cola, does that count?

PS, I kind of hate to admit this Joe, but I did live in Tennessee for three years Embarrassed
Drank my share of sweet tea...Have a real fondness for biscuits and gravy, fried ochra, and catfish......Lets try to keep this between us, OK? Grin

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 08:27:34 AM »

But did you have a Moon Pie with that RC Cola, Spiros.

<grin>

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 01:07:36 PM »

Krispy Kreme!

B
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 09:58:49 PM »

I was able to resist the temptation of moon pies. However, I did fall prey to two Krispy Kremes! This is strange because they are available in PA, however, they just look better in North Carolina.  Cheesy

The real delicacy I missed on this trip was the lowcountry favorite of shrimp n' grits!

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 10:17:46 PM »

umm Tennessee tea ain't nothin but dirty water.  I don't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole.  Mississipi Tea is much better!

an RC cola counts as long as it ain't pepsi you is drinkin'

Joe Zollars

Columcille

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 07:50:10 PM »

Well, Joe, it is Friday.

Do you have a belly full of BBQ and cheap sauce running down your chin???

Laid up like a young Turk in an opium den ,wondering how good it could have been if only. . . if only you had made that sauce from scratch?Huh  :cwm13:

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 12:18:16 AM »

Yes I ate the BBQ and indeed it was nasty with that bottled sauce.  But thankfuly due to a convo I had with a certain Matushka, I had the best pitcher of Sweet Tea I think I have ever had.  It wasn't quite as sweet as Missisipi Tea but still very good.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 01:45:12 PM »

Folks, I wanted to give a great Thanks to God.  I have finally gotten over the sickness derived from eating that cr*p that poses as BBQ sauce.

Joe Zollars

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2004, 02:23:21 PM »

What's wrong with Pepsi? It's from my adopted state of North Carolina Smiley

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2004, 02:53:37 PM »

nothin' Anastasios, so long as you don't care about taste (or utter lack thereof).  Coke is too acidy.  RC Cola is just right.

Joe Zollars

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 12:14:28 PM »

Coke's the best.  Pepsi is too sweet.  RC Cola is heretical.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 01:22:47 PM »

I agree wtih Mor, Coke is by far the best (esp Vanilla and/or Cherry Coke).  Reminds me of a story:

A bishop from Russia visited an OCA church here in the US.  At one point before beginning a liturgy he turned to an altar boy in his early teens and said "Coca Cola."  The altar boy was very confused and hesitated.  The bishop again said, more loudly, "Coca Cola".  The altar boy was a little frightened at this point and left, coming back after a few minutes with a can of Coca Cola on a silver platter.  The bishop looked at the altar boy as if he were completely insane.  

Apparantly, "Coca Cola" (or something thereabouts) is also russian for "ring the bells".  Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 01:54:14 PM »

Aw man it's all about pepsi...yes it is sweet, but if you're going to drink the garbage that makes up any soda, you might as well enjoy it, and for me that means SWEET. Smiley Oh, and RC cola is just fake (sorry JoeZ Grin).

hmmmm...
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 02:00:18 PM »

What about  JOLT![/u]  ?

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 02:01:05 PM »

man that stuff is good!

Joe Zollars

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 02:06:44 PM »

I like Jolt Red Eye. Smiley

Whenever I want to drink sugar water, though, I generally prefer SoBEs. Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 03:47:59 PM »

Ahahaha JOLT is liquified caffeine...if I had one sip of that, I'd pop a blood vessel in my brain probably! That much caffeine is almost poison. Tongue

~*Donna, who cannot even drink decaf coffee without her hands shaking for the rest of the day Smiley

hmmmm...
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »

Nah, regular Jolt isn't that bad.  Now Jolt 4x is pretty powerful stuff.

David, who stayed awake during college by drinking six shooters*.

* a six shooter is six shots of espresso in a coffee mug.

-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 02:35:59 AM »

David, can you send me a recipee? Wink

Joe, who really doesn't need yet another cause of insomnia

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 10:28:49 AM »

Jolt...now there's a drink I haven't had in a LOOONG time.  And I'm w/you, David; six shooters are the best.

Pedro, who was once diagnosed by the campus nurse as actually being addicted to caffeine.

Fr. David
Archon

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 10:17:41 PM »

Specifically to JoeZ and David, though anyone with a thought can answer --

In the BBQ poll that was put up a while ago, I voted for mustard based BBQ sauce and vehemently spoke out against bottled crap.

I had forgotten about a mustard based sauce that the subdeacon at my parish had given me for singing in the choir at his wedding.  It says it's "proud to be made in the Sovereign State of SC" (has the Stars and Bars on the label and everything!), and it's called Maurice's Gormet Blend BBQ Sauce: Carolina Gold Original Recipe ("Great on Everything!  Nothing Like it in the World!")

Gentlemen: would this, in fact, be a case in which we could exercise economia and let this Maurice's bottling and mass producing of said southron nectar slide?  Sure is good...though I wonder what it'd be like fresh from his kitchen?!!

Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 10:36:18 PM »

Pepsi isn't southern even if it is from North Carolina.  Coke and Dr. Pepper are southern.  

BTW, the southern food that I'm craving is some good chicken fried steak.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 11:24:38 PM »

Pedro, I let it slide, as it is actually made by a very good(if somewhat overrated) barbecue restaurant empire here in SC.  Maurices has 7 or 8 locations in and around the Columbia SC area.  I've eaten there a few times...it's pretty good, but not the best I've had by far.  I think the economia is more because Maurice Bessenger is a pretty outspoken racist moreso than the barbecue sauce though.  

-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 01:12:24 AM »

Specifically to JoeZ and David, though anyone with a thought can answer --

In the BBQ poll that was put up a while ago, I voted for mustard based BBQ sauce and vehemently spoke out against bottled crap.

I had forgotten about a mustard based sauce that the subdeacon at my parish had given me for singing in the choir at his wedding.  It says it's "proud to be made in the Sovereign State of SC" (has the Stars and Bars on the label and everything!), and it's called Maurice's Gormet Blend BBQ Sauce: Carolina Gold Original Recipe ("Great on Everything!  Nothing Like it in the World!")

Gentlemen: would this, in fact, be a case in which we could exercise economia and let this Maurice's bottling and mass producing of said southron nectar slide?  Sure is good...though I wonder what it'd be like fresh from his kitchen?!!

Maurice's stuff is absolutely fantastic!  He got in big trouble with the ACLU too for continuing to support the practice of honoring history, AKA flying a confederate flag.*  I love Maurice's and buy it everytime I get a chance!  There's also a brand called "Bone Sucking Sauce" from North Carolina which is literally so good you suck it right off the bones.   I don't count such as bottled BBQ sauce as they are more small cottage industry operations.  Heinz, KC Masterpiece, Kraft etc. are produces of that BPBS (Bile Posing as Bbq Sauce).

*Please note that I am not a Racist nor do I support Mr. Bessinger's racist views.  However I do not think we should simply forget history because a few kook's can't seem to get a few certain ideological views through their thick skulls.

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:16:44 AM by JoeZollars » Logged

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2004, 01:13:39 AM »

Pepsi isn't southern even if it is from North Carolina.  Coke and Dr. Pepper are southern.  

BTW, the southern food that I'm craving is some good chicken fried steak.  

Amen Jennifer! and smacking lips at chicken fried steak comment.  July 12 can't come soon enough.

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 01:39:25 AM by JoeZollars » Logged

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 02:12:43 PM »

RC cola and a moon pie...now that's some good eat'n!

Proverbs 22:7
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: