OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 06:13:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Eastern Catholic Churches statistics  (Read 877 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« on: May 01, 2011, 12:12:45 AM »

Here are the 2010 Eastern Catholic Churches statistics as reported by Annuario Pontificio

http://www.cnewa.org/source-images/Roberson-eastcath-statistics/eastcatholic-stat10.pdf

How is the health of these Churches?  Are they increasing in membership or decreasing?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:26:19 AM »

If my math is correct, the stats come out to...

Total number of people in 2000: 17,348,864
Total number of people in 2009: 17,664,646
Total number of people in 2010: 17,307,836

The data is incomplete, and there are unrealistic increases/decreases, so I don't know how accurate the numbers are. Still, if there is anything close to an accurate ballpark figure, the number of people seems to be staying the same...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:37:25 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »

The data is incomplete, and there are unrealistic increases/decreases, so I don't know how accurate the numbers are. Still, if there is anything close to an accurate ballpark figure, the number of people seems to be staying the same...
A cursory reading says that the USA Eparchies have really suffered in the last 20 years.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »

We definitely need some reorganizatyion in order to help the EC Churches to grow and thrive. I think that implementing some of the suggestions from the Middle Eastern Synod a while back are a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:13:58 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »

A cursory reading says that the USA Eparchies have really suffered in the last 20 years.

Actually it is more honest/accurate reporting, though there have been losses.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »

His Grace Bishop John of the Melkites said that many Roman Catholics attend the Melkite Parishes or become Melkites only to convert to Orthodoxy in a few years. He also said that the Melkite Church appears to serve as a training ground for Orthodoxy and that the Eastern Catholic Bridge leads to Constantinople and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:37:19 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:28:06 PM »

His Grace Bishop John of the Melkites said that many Roman Catholics attend the Melkite Parishes or become Melkites only to convert to Orthodoxy in a few years. He also said that the Melkite Church appears to serve as a training ground for Orthodoxy and that the Eastern Catholic Bridge leads to Constantinople and not the other way around.

I've been told as much from former Eastern Catholics in our parish. One in particular had an Eastern Catholic priest recommend they become Orthodox because in his words the Eastern Catholic Churches were "dying."

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 10:52:14 PM »

I've been told as much from former Eastern Catholics in our parish. One in particular had an Eastern Catholic priest recommend they become Orthodox because in his words the Eastern Catholic Churches were "dying."

My former EC priest (Maronite) always loathed the Latins and was equally upset with the neo-latinizations taking place in the Maronite church that he would often romanticize about Orthodoxy. At one time he said he wouldn't blame me for ever converting, but when I told him I was he accused me of being impulsive and to be more patient with the Maronites. Tongue I just can't win.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »

My former EC priest (Maronite) always loathed the Latins and was equally upset with the neo-latinizations taking place in the Maronite church that he would often romanticize about Orthodoxy. At one time he said he wouldn't blame me for ever converting, but when I told him I was he accused me of being impulsive and to be more patient with the Maronites. Tongue I just can't win.  Cheesy

In Christ,
Andrew

I was introduced to the Maronites by my aunt when we visited the Maronite parish in Atlanta.
The priest was married and his wife served up an impressive meal for all to enjoy.
The Divine Liturgy was in Aramaic and it was a special feast day held during the week.
This was quite a few years ago, but I was given a wonderful impression of their hospitality.
From there, I visited a Melkite Church and found myself led to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:07:04 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »

I don't see a problem with this.

I don't know if such a trend is viable but it does show that the arguments the Latins use to continually justify the U*** churches as a bridge to total communion are really weak.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: